Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Sorry. I meant to quote your nitpicks list, but I'm bad at foruming.
Oh. You edited your comment, so that's fine. There's a lot to learn from the T1, and making it similar on the inside isn't really a bad thing. FormD T1 has good internals, but assembly can be made easier by using the 2 "stick" method shown by the Winter One.

nater.2003

Cable Smoosher
Sep 18, 2020
Oh. You edited your comment, so that's fine. There's a lot to learn from the T1, and making it similar on the inside isn't really a bad thing. FormD T1 has good internals, but assembly can be made easier by using the 2 "stick" method shown by the Winter One.

Yeah, your proposed case seems to me to be a spineless T1 with no 2slot/3slot mode. I wonder if the T1 v1.2 will have 2.5 slot mode as well as spineless?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hey guys, created a poll for some feedback... Since this is a critical point of no return, will need to decide before proceeding any further.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@Lytnin I voted for the 3rd option for 3 slot compatibility - just want to clarify how would that be achieved?
  • EITHER simply extending the case width to 150mm and the extra 20mm goes to the GPU chamber?
  • OR rebalancing the CPU/GPU chambers and then adding the necessary width to the GPU chamber to make 3 slot?
Personally I would prefer option #2, let's say reduce the CPU chamber clearance from 61mm to just 55mm (perfect for the Aquanaut DDC combo), then adding 14mm to the case width and you get the 20mm required for 3 slots

• Sad
Reactions: SFF Watercooled

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
@Lytnin I voted for the 3rd option for 3 slot compatibility - just want to clarify how would that be achieved?
  • EITHER simply extending the case width to 150mm and the extra 20mm goes to the GPU chamber?
  • OR rebalancing the CPU/GPU chambers and then adding the necessary width to the GPU chamber to make 3 slot?
Personally I would prefer option #2, let's say reduce the CPU chamber clearance from 61mm to just 55mm (perfect for the Aquanaut DDC combo), then adding 14mm to the case width and you get the 20mm required for 3 slots
Yes it will most likely be option 2

• Love
Reactions: thelaughingman

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
IMPORTANT NOTE: If the case is made bigger there would be little difference between this and the T1

Also if you want more thickness @Lytnin probably try removing the spine
The poll is a bit misleading, since removing the spine and changing to 2.5 slots will have ~57mm for the CPU cooler which is not very "limited"
So, the poll options should be something like this:

Sub 9L: 2.5 slot GPU, 57mm CPU cooler height
Sub 9L: 2 slot GPU, 67mm CPU cooler height
Over 9L: 3 slot GPU, 57mm CPU cooler height
Go full-on - 3 slots, standard fans, CPU block clearance, etc.

And let people decide for themselves whether it's good or not, so don't put "limit" or "better" in the poll

I voted for option 2 because:
  1. The entire goal of this case is sub 9L and if it were larger there would be little difference between the FormD T1
  2. Sub 9L is one of the defining factors of this case, so removing it would change that
  3. Changing too much will be expensive and time-consuming
  4. Reducing the CPU cooler height by just 4-6mm, in my opinion, is a worthy tradeoff for 2.5 slots and a spineless design
  5. 2.5 slots are most definitely enough for most people, even including people who want to get a 3090 or 6900xt or something. For the 3090 just get a regular aftermarket, there are a lot of ≤2.5 slot 3090s
Of course, you decide yourself what option you want, but these are just my 2 cents on it

Last edited:

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I think exceeding 9L is putting it too close to T1 - sub-9L is part of this cases identity.

Personally voted option 2: 2.5 slot support with reduced CPU cooler height.

Reactions: Lytnin

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I think exceeding 9L is putting it too close to T1 - sub-9L is part of this cases identity.

Personally voted option 2: 2.5 slot support with reduced CPU cooler height.
Yes, I think reducing the CPU cooler height by 4-6mm is a worthy tradeoff for 2.5 slot GPUs

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
This is the same argument that happened during the development of the Dan-C4, the volume kept creeping up and everyone was worried it would be just another M1. But what followed was that Dan was able to articulate other value propositions / distinctions of the case (design language, part compatibility, etc.) that would make the case standout against the M1.

I imagine with the volume increase @Lytnin would have to do the same thing. As mentioned before with the trend in over-sizing hardware, even Dan is now considering increasing the volume of his signature A4 to 7.6L - haven't seen anybody say that's too close to a Ghost S1 volume / all other Taobao clones.

Sure it would be nice AND simple to just pointing out a single number to potential buyer as the only signifier (it's basically the same problem in any consumer good industry, my current company included). BUT just because the volume of the Rogue is very close to the T1 does not mean the Rogue has nothing else to offer.

EDIT: just to add some clarity, I was NOT interested in this case just because it was sub-9L and smaller than the T1. The thing that drove my interested was the tool-less panel mounting mechanism & better radiator chamber clearance than the T1. Volume does matter but only to a certain extent. And not all 7 / 8 / 9 / 10L cases are the same ?

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
This is the same argument that happened during the development of the Dan-C4, the volume kept creeping up and everyone was worried it would be just another M1. But what followed was that Dan was able to articulate other value propositions / distinctions of the case (design language, part compatibility, etc.) that would make the case standout against the M1.

I imagine with the volume increase @Lytnin would have to do the same thing. As mentioned before with the trend in over-sizing hardware, even Dan is now considering increasing the volume of his signature A4 to 7.6L - haven't seen anybody say that's too close to a Ghost S1 volume / all other Taobao clones.

Sure it would be nice AND simple to just pointing out a single number to potential buyer as the only signifier (it's basically the same problem in any consumer good industry, my current company included). BUT just because the volume of the Rogue is very close to the T1 does not mean the Rogue has nothing else to offer.
Well yes, because the C4 is a whole 2L smaller than the M1. In this case (pun not intended), if the Rogue is expanded there will be a ~0.1L difference, with almost exactly the same compatibility.

I wouldn't see a clear reason why someone would choose this over the T1 if the Rogue were expanded, but the C4 is better than the M1 while maintaining a 2L gap.

If it comes to being >9L I will probably start my own thread with <8.5L in mind (301mm * 128mm * 220mm. 301mm is feasible in a flipped orientation. Planning 124mm radiator width)

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Well yes, because the C4 is a whole 2L smaller than the M1. In this case (pun not intended), if the Rogue is expanded there will be a ~0.1L difference, with almost exactly the same compatibility.
the C4 is now 12L (last dimension post by Dan) so it's 0.7L difference vs M1 12.7L. and visually you're not gonna notice / perceive it unless putting the 2 cases literally side-by-side

the 0.1L difference is from your calculation - I suspect Lytnin being vague on mm in the poll options because he's not set on a single dimension for each option yet, simply seeing where the goal post is going to be and working to optimise towards that.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
the C4 is now 12L (last dimension post by Dan) so it's 0.7L difference vs M1 12.7L. and visually you're not gonna notice / perceive it unless putting the 2 cases literally side-by-side

the 0.1L difference is from your calculation - I suspect Lytnin being vague on mm in the poll options because he's not set on a single dimension for each option yet, simply seeing where the goal post is going to be and working to optimise towards that.
Ok, but even if the C4 were the exact same size as the M1, there would be a clear reason to choose the C4 over the M1. In this case, there really isn't a clear reason yet, unless @Lytnin decides to make a major improvement.

• Haha

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Ok, but even if the C4 were the exact same size as the M1, there would be a clear reason to choose the C4 over the M1. In this case, there really isn't a clear reason yet, unless @Lytnin decides to make a major improvement.
It's not a clear reason for YOU, others who voted for extending the case feel differently. Just speaking for myself I was not interested in this case because of the whole sub-9L identity thing. Knowing this is Lian-li OEM and the internal design is still very much box-frame, why would I give up the T1 for this? But that's just me ? Something else made interested in this case and keep following up with the development until now.

Reactions: iksretep

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
It's not a clear reason for YOU, others who voted for extending the case feel differently. Just speaking for myself I was not interested in this case because of the whole sub-9L identity thing. Knowing this is Lian-li OEM and the internal design is still very much box-frame, why would I give up the T1 for this? But that's just me ? Something else made interested in this case and keep following up with the development until now.
Maybe keep this as a different case from the T1. People like you can go ahead and choose the T1, while people like me can go ahead and choose the Rogue!

• Haha

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Maybe keep this as a different case from the T1. People like you can go ahead and choose the T1, while people like me can go ahead and choose the Rogue!
It's like you're not reading my entire post but never mind. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, would be interested to see your case design sometimes in the future ?

Reactions: iksretep