Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Would it be possible to put a 3080/3090 with a waterblock in there and do a full custom loop? (With a res and pump too)
Are you including a CPU in that loop? Because it's just not a good idea to try and run a CPU and 3080+ under a single 240. But going off the measurements you should be able to fit a reference or Fe card with a pump/micro res

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Are you including a CPU in that loop? Because it's just not a good idea to try and run a CPU and 3080+ under a single 240. But going off the measurements you should be able to fit a reference or Fe card with a pump/micro res
@SFF Watercooled what he said... I think the new FE cards would be your best bet due to the short pcb.... But unless you're going to be undervolting or going for lets say the new ryzen 5600x that has a 65w tdp along with a 3070(3080?) it'll be tough to cool it all with a 240mm alone.

Edit: of course we still don't know what amd is planning gpu wise, but from the rumors, it seems they will have a lower power draw than Nvidia counterpart

Reactions: Tazpr

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
This thread has not been active for a long time... So I'm going to boot it up again! Can you find a way to remove the spine of the case to support larger GPUs? The GPU should be about 6mm closer to the mobo than before, making it easy for 3 slots. I would actually recommend 2.5 slots (50mm) because it's the perfect sweet spot (Most people agree, as shown in the FormD T1 poll). BTW, are you done with your build in the LytCase Rogue? I've been waiting for updates for quite a long time!

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
This thread has not been active for a long time... So I'm going to boot it up again! Can you find a way to remove the spine of the case to support larger GPUs? The GPU should be about 6mm closer to the mobo than before, making it easy for 3 slots. I would actually recommend 2.5 slots (50mm) because it's the perfect sweet spot (Most people agree, as shown in the FormD T1 poll). BTW, are you done with your build in the LytCase Rogue? I've been waiting for updates for quite a long time!
Hey, thanks and i appreciate your interest! Sorry for the slow updates, but i assure you that it's still in progress.

There were a few issues with the finish on the main chassis from the factory, but everything should be completed this week... "Should"

Im not opposed to expanding the GPU chamber, however the spine can't be removed, since its the main part of the internal support structure. I will however look at re-adjusting the clearances. But again i need to have it on hand to see it... They'll send it across to me when all is done, and ill do the build then.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Hey, thanks and i appreciate your interest! Sorry for the slow updates, but i assure you that it's still in progress.

There were a few issues with the finish on the main chassis from the factory, but everything should be completed this week... "Should"

Im not opposed to expanding the GPU chamber, however the spine can't be removed, since its the main part of the internal support structure. I will however look at re-adjusting the clearances. But again i need to have it on hand to see it... They'll send it across to me when all is done, and ill do the build then.
Although interestingly Optimum Tech's latest video showed a 10900k (overclocked) and an RTX 3090 (undervolted) running at very reasonable temperatures under a single 240mm radiator so GPU size shouldn't be a major concern if you expect people to be watercooling it like I am. I think an important factor would be to ensure there is at least 60mm from the side panel to the PSU at the end of the GPU chamber to allow for pump mounting.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Although interestingly Optimum Tech's latest video showed a 10900k (overclocked) and an RTX 3090 (undervolted) running at very reasonable temperatures under a single 240mm radiator so GPU size shouldn't be a major concern if you expect people to be watercooling it like I am. I think an important factor would be to ensure there is at least 60mm from the side panel to the PSU at the end of the GPU chamber to allow for pump mounting.
Yes i was actually surprised by the results... Ill definitely look into having enough clearance for a ddc pump... Specially with the size of the reference pcb with the water block.... He said on his video the length is 220mm, that leave a fair bit of room

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
How's the case going? At the end of the week already!

I was also thinking about the height of the case. Since the T1 is 216mm high and has 42mm rad+fans, can you make the height shorter at ~220mm? It would make the case ~8.72L, which is a tad bit smaller

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
How's the case going? At the end of the week already!
Well its the weekend, will be able to talk to them on working days to get an update. But they had to redo the chassis last week and send it for painting. Add to the that the time difference.... well you get the picture.
I'm as eager as you are man. I cant wait for lian-li to finish it up and send it over to me.

I was also thinking about the height of the case. Since the T1 is 216mm high and has 42mm rad+fans, can you make the height shorter at ~220mm? It would make the case ~8.72L, which is a tad bit smaller

I'm going for a max of 30mm rad thickness compatibility, which should support most of the markets rads. so the chamber is 46.5mm, 30+15=45mm and 1.5mm for manufacturing tolerances and/or a bit of spacing for rubber anti-vibration pads.

And other factors I have outlined here for you before about the case's height:

Ok so just to give you a history, the case started at 220mm height, but like the T1, the parts were in the flipped orientation.... Then I decided to go with a normal orientation, what this forces you to have is 3mm extra at the bottom as the motherboard IO hangs around 2.44mm below the tray, so 3mm is a safe clearance...

Then, came the problem of the PCI-E riser cable, the original clearance was 2mm between the motherboard tray and the rad chamber above it... that caused issues with bending the cable to fit exactly there and would mean that it will be touching the rad, which can block airflow.... so we increased that to 5mm adding an extra 3mm... that brings us to 226mm that we have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be compared to the top cases like the T1, but other than the support of hardware, my case is fundamentally different from the T1. Lot of differences of how the case is made and what it can support and what the clearances are.

Reactions: Brude27

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Wow lol Optimum Tech put a 3090 and a Zen 3 CPU inside a single radiator T1 loop...

I was just wondering if you could decrease the height while maintaining the same support

Last edited:

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be compared to the top cases like the T1, but other than the support of hardware, my case is fundamentally different from the T1. Lot of differences of how the case is made and what it can support and what the clearances are.

If comparisons were to be made, I would be closer to comparing this case to the original Dan C4 that died in development hell. That should also be considered a good thing, as that's the C4 I know I wanted. The current iteration is nice, but doesn't have me excited like the OG version did. Your case, on the other hand, has me quite excited, and I'm glad you're still moving forward with it despite an awful year to be pursuing something quite like this. :)

Reactions: Lytnin

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Ok so just to give you a history, the case started at 220mm height, but like the T1, the parts were in the flipped orientation.... Then I decided to go with a normal orientation, what this forces you to have is 3mm extra at the bottom as the motherboard IO hangs around 2.44mm below the tray, so 3mm is a safe clearance...

Then, came the problem of the PCI-E riser cable, the original clearance was 2mm between the motherboard tray and the rad chamber above it... that caused issues with bending the cable to fit exactly there and would mean that it will be touching the rad, which can block airflow.... so we increased that to 5mm adding an extra 3mm... that brings us to 226mm that we have.

the width of the Rogue is currently 130mm after the changes to the thickness of the panels... 1.5mm instead of 1mm... that adds 0.5mm each side = 130mm.

As for your math comparing the T1 clearances... 1 key fact that the T1 does is not have a motherboard tray.... that allows it to have the motherboard and the GPU sit closer than usual to each other... which gives it the extra few mms.... going with the traditional layout, with the tray and all, confines me to the standard clearances... 6mm standoff and 5mm clearance for the GPU from the back of the tray....
I'm curious, what made you switch to normal orientation from flipped orientation?

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I'm curious, what made you switch to normal orientation from flipped orientation?
Multiple factors, but the main one is I like it that way lol... I've always felt weird having the components flipped ?

If comparisons were to be made, I would be closer to comparing this case to the original Dan C4 that died in development hell. That should also be considered a good thing, as that's the C4 I know I wanted. The current iteration is nice, but doesn't have me excited like the OG version did. Your case, on the other hand, has me quite excited, and I'm glad you're still moving forward with it despite an awful year to be pursuing something quite like this. :)
Thanks man.. it has been a rough year, and balancing this with work has been hell.... But I am determined to see it through.... Even if down the line I face something that kills the project, i won't be content if I didn't see it through.

Reactions: Brude27

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Just a quick teaser, here is the chassis back from having the finish applied but not fully assembled yet:

Will do a full update in the OP as usual once its fully assembled.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Can you specify what you mean by "normal" and "flipped" orientation? Kinda confused right now
Basically, all AIO cases use an orientation like the T1, so all of them are "flipped" and not "normal"?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Can you specify what you mean by "normal" and "flipped" orientation? Kinda confused right now
Basically, all AIO cases use an orientation like the T1, so all of them are "flipped" and not "normal"?
Well, the most optimal position for the AIO in sff cases is to have it at the top... And for example in the t1 to have it there, the GPU and mobo are upside down hence flipped...

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Well, the most optimal position for the AIO in sff cases is to have it at the top... And for example in the t1 to have it there, the GPU and mobo are upside down hence flipped...
Actually no... In the FormD T1, only the GPU is flipped
You can only flip one of the other... both can't be flipped

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Ideas for V2:
  • Spineless
  • Flipped orientation (Lower height)
  • Adjustable mounting for mobo and GPU (More compatibility)
  • Adjustable height?
I actually don't think anyone cares if it's a normal orientation or flipped orientation, so I guess use flipped orientation to shave a few mms... The difference will be negligible, though.

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Ideas for V2? Man he hasn't even got to release V1 ... chill. I woulnd't be so sure about people wanting or not wanting something unless you get feedback. Flipped/normal allows people to place their ITX builds on either side of their monitor, having both means there is more options to the end user and less SKUs. I might not like it, you might not like it but that doesn't mean others don't.

Reactions: thelaughingman

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Ideas for V2? Man he hasn't even got to release V1 ... chill. I woulnd't be so sure about people wanting or not wanting something unless you get feedback. Flipped/normal allows people to place their ITX builds on either side of their monitor, having both means there is more options to the end user and less SKUs. I might not like it, you might not like it but that doesn't mean others don't.
Yeah ok, but there's polls you know