Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peigonz

Case Bender
New User
Jul 3, 2020
I’ve gotta say, somehow it looks even neater than it already was. Loving the constant updates & the new pics. Keep it up, very excited for this case :)

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I’ve gotta say, somehow it looks even neater than it already was. Loving the constant updates & the new pics. Keep it up, very excited for this case :)
Thanks! Yup, most of the changes went favorably aesthetically.. pretty happy with how it turned out overall ?

Reactions: Brude27

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Just saw your prototype photos on the first post. I like the slide-in-place top and side panels, something new. I think it simplifies manufacturing, but with anodized aluminum finish won't there be cosmetic issues if the end user keeps opening/closing in this case "sliding" the panels frequently?

I can't tell you how much I can't wait for your case, I have always wanted a case small like M1 with a sandwich style design of T1, and minimalistic/simplistic front design of a Cerberus. I actually started chopping up one of my own M1 cases to achieve two ouf ot 3, doing welding, sanding, powder coating, etc ... I'll post some pictures later as a reference to what I'm talking about. Again can't wait to see your end result.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Just saw your prototype photos on the first post. I like the slide-in-place top and side panels, something new. I think it simplifies manufacturing, but with anodized aluminum finish won't there be cosmetic issues if the end user keeps opening/closing in this case "sliding" the panels frequently?

I can't tell you how much I can't wait for your case, I have always wanted a case small like M1 with a sandwich style design of T1, and minimalistic/simplistic front design of a Cerberus. I actually started chopping up one of my own M1 cases to achieve two ouf ot 3, doing welding, sanding, powder coating, etc ... I'll post some pictures later as a reference to what I'm talking about. Again can't wait to see your end result.

It shouldn't be an issue, as the only parts that make contact are the pins along with the slots they go into... Its similar mechanism used on their O11 dynamic case, which is where we got the idea from when we were trying to fix the original swivel door panel.
They suggested me to change it and I liked the idea of a fully tool-less design, so we went with it.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@Lytnin hey, just checked out the prototype pictures, really nice solution you have there for the tool-less panels. LOVE IT! Currently the case is 130mm in width with CPU chamber 61mm clearance, GPU chamber strict 2 slot clearance (?) of 40mm?

Just noticed that the width of the case is now very close to the T1 (133mm) yet the T1 can offer 3-slot GPU compatibility. Would you consider adding some flexibility to the spine location to be able to adjust the depth of the chambers? Or if that's not possible with Lian-li's manufacturing, maybe a Rogue 2.75-3 slot version down the line whilst still keeping it under 9L?

Keep up the good work!

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
@Lytnin hey, just checked out the prototype pictures, really nice solution you have there for the tool-less panels. LOVE IT! Currently the case is 130mm in width with CPU chamber 61mm clearance, GPU chamber strict 2 slot clearance (?) of 40mm?

Just noticed that the width of the case is now very close to the T1 (133mm) yet the T1 can offer 3-slot GPU compatibility. Would you consider adding some flexibility to the spine location to be able to adjust the depth of the chambers? Or if that's not possible with Lian-li's manufacturing, maybe a Rogue 2.75-3 slot version down the line whilst still keeping it under 9L?

Keep up the good work!
I have thought about it... problem is if you notice the placement of the power button, that will need to move... and the only logical position would be up behind the radiator... however that would cut into the radiator clearance and might cause problems with compatibility.... The T1 has more length, 330mm vs 305mm i have here, so its possible for it to have the power button in that position...

I'm glad you like the design changes, and i do have a Rogue XL model for down the line, however that depends on the success of this one, and will most likely be above 9L, as im targeting full compatibility with everything... or at least a wider range than we have here.

One thing that has given me confidence is the shorter pcb designs on the 3000 series cards, along with the new blocks for them.... Makes a custom loop alot more viable... Also, for air cooled GPUs, the PSU is already offset a bit, and fans from the AIO will exhaust it directly upwards... In theory at least lol

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I have thought about it... problem is if you notice the placement of the power button, that will need to move... and the only logical position would be up behind the radiator... however that would cut into the radiator clearance and might cause problems with compatibility.... The T1 has more length, 330mm vs 305mm i have here, so its possible for it to have the power button in that position...

I'm glad you like the design changes, and i do have a Rogue XL model for down the line, however that depends on the success of this one, and will most likely be above 9L, as im targeting full compatibility with everything... or at least a wider range than we have here.

One thing that has given me confidence is the shorter pcb designs on the 3000 series cards, along with the new blocks for them.... Makes a custom loop alot more viable... Also, for air cooled GPUs, the PSU is already offset a bit, and fans from the AIO will exhaust it directly upwards... In theory at least lol
yeah you're right, looking again at the picture of internals there's quite literally no other place where that power button could go. such a shame cause I don't like all that volume above the motherboard to do nothing ? the tool-less panels aIone have pique my interest again in this case since I hate visible screws with a passion, and even more so for thread stripping. A couple of threads that hold that top/bottom panel on my T1 are loose already, which is rather annoying since I like to open up my PC a lot for tinkering and such.

speaking of panels, how is bottom panel? for next round of photos pls include a shot of the bottom of the case pls! to me one of the best things from the T1 were the mesh side panel, 1mm thick steel but super solid and doesn't feel cheap like 1mm aluminium. Not sure how's Lian-li's mesh panels are like but maybe that's a way you can claw back that volume increase? and a minor question on motherboard standoffs - I've seen people using shorter standoffs than standard to gain additional 2-3mm of clearance on the CPU chamber, your thoughts on those and if you would do that for this case? every mm helps!

by Rogue XL full compatibility with everything you mean 330mm long 4 slots custom 3080/3090 cards? ? jokes asides I think the Rogue sits very pretty in terms of volume and compatibility already

EDIT: I know I've asked a lot but just 1 more question - what is the clearance between the PSU and the radiator bracket? From the T1 I've learnt that space is very helpful to just add a bunch of things haha

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
yeah you're right, looking again at the picture of internals there's quite literally no other place where that power button could go. such a shame cause I don't like all that volume above the motherboard to do nothing ? the tool-less panels aIone have pique my interest again in this case since I hate visible screws with a passion, and even more so for thread stripping. A couple of threads that hold that top/bottom panel on my T1 are loose already, which is rather annoying since I like to open up my PC a lot for tinkering and such.

speaking of panels, how is bottom panel? for next round of photos pls include a shot of the bottom of the case pls! to me one of the best things from the T1 were the mesh side panel, 1mm thick steel but super solid and doesn't feel cheap like 1mm aluminium. Not sure how's Lian-li's mesh panels are like but maybe that's a way you can claw back that volume increase? and a minor question on motherboard standoffs - I've seen people using shorter standoffs than standard to gain additional 2-3mm of clearance on the CPU chamber, your thoughts on those and if you would do that for this case? every mm helps!

by Rogue XL full compatibility with everything you mean 330mm long 4 slots custom 3080/3090 cards? ? jokes asides I think the Rogue sits very pretty in terms of volume and compatibility already

EDIT: I know I've asked a lot but just 1 more question - what is the clearance between the PSU and the radiator bracket? From the T1 I've learnt that space is very helpful to just add a bunch of things haha
I just checked the last 3d file, and you should have around 15mm space between the psu and gpu... However, what i have agreed with them is instead of keeping on adjusting the dimensions now, I'll have it shipped as is, and then give them the tweaks that need to be done for production... So ill definitely look to increase that if possible...

Non-standard standoffs will require MOQs and a whole different mess of logistics, which will drive the cost up, which I'm trying really hard to keep feasible...

As for the side panels... I actually want to keep the aluminum side panels and which is why i went with 1.5mm thickness instead of 1mm to make it feel more premium, however was thinking of a top mesh cover, to help with the fans pushing air out... But this is just theory nothing in the works for that at the moment...

And for the XL lol... The idea is 280mm rads and full size fans, possibly dual rad if i can somehow fit it... Also would be nice to have proper pump support.. but yes if im going with 280mm radiators that would definitely easily fit 3slot GPUs

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I just checked the last 3d file, and you should have around 15mm space between the psu and gpu...
I meant to ask the space between the PSU and radiator chamber, that's where the PSU cables come out. From my napkin math it's 50mm = 226 (case height) - 10mm (for PSU extension cable) - 100mm (SFX PSU) - 46mm (radiator chamber) - 20mm (cable connector + cable)

Non-standard standoffs will require MOQs and a whole different mess of logistics, which will drive the cost up, which I'm trying really hard to keep feasible...
total reasonable, up to the individual then. do you have a target price point yet? is 200usd (in similar vein as Dan A4, Ncase M1) a good place to start?

As for the side panels... I actually want to keep the aluminum side panels and which is why i went with 1.5mm thickness instead of 1mm to make it feel more premium, however was thinking of a top mesh cover, to help with the fans pushing air out... But this is just theory nothing in the works for that at the moment...
It was proven in the T1 thread that removing the top panel to let the radiator fans exhaust freely help temperature by a few degrees so you're thinking in the right direction there :)

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I meant to ask the space between the PSU and radiator chamber, that's where the PSU cables come out. From my napkin math it's 50mm = 226 (case height) - 10mm (for PSU extension cable) - 100mm (SFX PSU) - 46mm (radiator chamber) - 20mm (cable connector + cable)
You got 154mm from where the PSU bracket is and the bottom of the radiator frame. so your math was pretty close. 54mm.

total reasonable, up to the individual then. do you have a target price point yet? is 200usd (in similar vein as Dan A4, Ncase M1) a good place to start?
yes, I'm aiming for a similar price point.

It was proven in the T1 thread that removing the top panel to let the radiator fans exhaust freely help temperature by a few degrees so you're thinking in the right direction there :)
I actually got the idea of a top mesh from my current setup.. I'm running a Ghost S1 and when ever I have an extended gaming session the fans ramp up.... so i usually just remove the top panel and that helps alot.