Other UHP 400-24 or EPP 400-24

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Hello fellow sff builders,

Last year, I built a system from the scratch and you might have seen it around this forum. SFF FROM INDIA
However, I have to travel constantly and I do have to carry my pc around. The weight of my aluminium profiles for the structure of the pc along with the 240w dell brick is too much of a drag to carry around. So I thought to rebuild my pc again using stainless steel or aluminium which ever is available to me. I am planning to buy either a ryzen 2700x or wait for a couple more months and buy Intel ice lake. Ultimately, the tdp is 90w+ for the cpu alone.
So for long term proofing of the power supply, I have planned to use either EPP 400-24 OR UHP 350-24 with my HDplex 160. However, Epp 400-24 is small and space efficient while the uhp 350-24 is long and thin. I am not sure which to use. All I know is that HDplex 160 can support 19vDC to 24vDC. Is there any limitations of uhp 350-24 or EPP 400-24 I should be aware of?
P.S. I am not looking for any sfx psu as it is scarce and expensive in india or at least at the place I stay and not to mention that's it is too big to use to fit it in the rig which I am going to build in a couple days.
BTW, I will not be upgrading my gpu (gtx 1060) at least for a couple more years. Miners "sigh"

Guys, your suggestion is very much required.
Thanks in advance!!!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The main difference is that the EPP (RPS for chassis version) series is the form factor and the better ripple specs.

The UHP has better peak specs and supports parallel mode (wiring two PSU for higher Outputs). It is not as small and has worse ripple specs.

Those are the main differences I can see.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
The main difference is that the EPP (RPS for chassis version) series is the form factor and the better ripple specs.

The UHP has better peak specs and supports parallel mode (wiring two PSU for higher Outputs). It is not as small and has worse ripple specs.

Those are the main differences I can see.
This is the first time I am using the meanwell psu for a pc build. I am not an electrical expert. But based on your comment, I am thinking to stick with EPP 400 or RPS 400 for my build.
Thank you for your response, my friend.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The UHP's ratings are established at convection (ie. passive) while the EPP/RPP units are taking into consideration active air flow at a 25 CFM. If you aren't able to provide this amount of cooling then the EPP-400-24 de-rates to 250W passive. This is a large part of why the EPP units are so much smaller. If not actively cooled the way Meanwell specifies, you'll likely fry your unit.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The UHP-350-24 has a very short hold-up time, at 10 ms.

According to the ATX specs, the hold-up time should be at least 17 ms.

The EPP-300-24 or 400-24 I'm also using is a bit better at 16 ms.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
The UHP's ratings are established at convection (ie. passive) while the EPP/RPP units are taking into consideration active air flow at a 25 CFM. If you aren't able to provide this amount of cooling then the EPP-400-24 de-rates to 250W passive. This is a large part of why the EPP units are so much smaller. If not actively cooled the way Meanwell specifies, you'll likely fry your unit.
If I am having a push pull configuration on a epp 400 using a 2 units of 40mm fans or a single 90mm fan on a push Configuration, will that be sufficient ?
Rsp version of the meanwell has a chassis but epp version is bare naked. Does this have any significance on the force air ventilation which is been provided to it ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If I am having a push pull configuration on a epp 400 using a 2 units of 40mm fans or a single 90mm fan on a push Configuration, will that be sufficient ?
Rsp version of the meanwell has a chassis but epp version is bare naked. Does this have any significance on the force air ventilation which is been provided to it ?

I think a single 90 will be plenty.

Here are the different set up that meanwell offers. Doesn't mean they're all easily available though.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
I think a single 90 will be plenty.

Here are the different set up that meanwell offers. Doesn't mean they're all easily available though.

Wow. i did not know that mean well has so much to offer. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Now i am thinking of more possibilities of a smaller PSU rather than the traditional SFX PSU.
Thanks for the enlightenment brother.
Have a nice day :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wow. i did not know that mean well has so much to offer. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Now i am thinking of more possibilities of a smaller PSU rather than the traditional SFX PSU.
Thanks for the enlightenment brother.
Have a nice day :)

An sfx psu is essentially a 3x5 meanwell with a fan and additional DC-DC board. I wished sfx was designed to use 3x5 boards so we can have more modding potential.

After taking apart an sfx psu, pretty much the most power dense unit is the SF600. If someone can mod it to use only the 12V rail they would have an amazing 12V build.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
An sfx psu is essentially a 3x5 meanwell with a fan and additional DC-DC board. I wished sfx was designed to use 3x5 boards so we can have more modding potential.

After taking apart an sfx psu, pretty much the most power dense unit is the SF600. If someone can mod it to use only the 12V rail they would have an amazing 12V build.
I thought the cooler master elite 110 was the smallest box for an ITX build ever, a several years ago and building a PC custom case was just too hard and oh boy, how naive was I until I saw a few systems tinier than a PS3 just engineered out out acrylic and aluminum. Today, people are building PCs smaller and faster than their predecessors. Have faith, someone will eventually come up with new idea of that sort sooner or later. All we need to do is be patient.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I thought the cooler master elite 110 was the smallest box for an ITX build ever, a several years ago and building a PC custom case was just too hard and oh boy, how naive was I until I saw a few systems tinier than a PS3 just engineered out out acrylic and aluminum. Today, people are building PCs smaller and faster than their predecessors. Have faith, someone will eventually come up with new idea of that sort sooner or later. All we need to do is be patient.

Electrical components don't easily change. The law of physics apply to them and there isn't much progress to be made. There's a couple exotic solutions but highly unlikely to be cost effective anytime soon.

Having experience in electronics I can say that the SF600 is an amazing work and it's power density is incomparable for the price you pay. It is essentially the size of a meanwell 400W pushing out 600W.

I think the two biggest future improvements to sff is the removal of the ATX 24 pin standard and more efficient components. Nvidia has achieved a very efficient gpu, the GTX 1060, almost the performance of an R9 290 at half the power consumption. We should see A GTX 1070 gpu in the size of a short 1060 end of this year.

Cases on the other hand are simple metal panels put together. Most of the progress in case design on the SFF side has been pushed by the users or boutique makers. No major company cares about us. Yet while they are stagnant in case designs, and sometimes backwards (crappy airflow), we continue to innovate. You didn't see a case smaller than the 110 because they deemed as a unprofitable business. RGB, tempered glass, and over sized ATX (that is consequently only house a single gpu and a couple SSD) is what sells now.

But sff is gaining. I've seen a huge uptick in shit posting in our subreddit so it means there is much more mainstream appeal. If we gain enough mainstream attraction maybe someone will make nice cases for us. But for now, I'm content with some amazing designers here in our community, unlike the cookie cutter design everyone else is doing.