Turning my ECS Liva Z Plus into Gaming PC.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 12, 2018
So basically, what is missing hardware wise is a GPU and PSU for it along with the contraption to use the m.2 port to plug a X16 GPU.

Why you might be wondering I want to do this? Well after using my ECS Liva Z Plus for quite a while, a i5 7300U Engineering sample that is able to keep 3.5 GHz boost 24/7 with 8GB of DDR4 2400/14 Kingston Impact it would be an epic portable gaming rig with a Gigabyte 1070 Mini. But WHY, well, I don't know why, but the iGPU is dying, I can't do anything stressful on it anymore without having drivers crash. I've tried many different drivers without any different success other than constant driver crashing, so, since this is a press sample and the CPU is an engineering sample, I just need accept it as is and change modify it as needed to keep it usable. I have the GPU, I have the system, I can design a 3D print a case.

I'm thinking I could build something quite small and powerful for the size.

What would I need? Could I simply use a much bigger 19V brick, have 19v for the system and convert other 19V to 12V for the GPU. Would that be easiest? Let's say I go for a dual brick, it would be simpler, but bulkier I'm assuming.

For internal PSU, would a HDPlex 160 be enough for the 1070, for the 8-pin and x16 slot?