Part Troubleshooting pci-riser problems

bytesphere451

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Feb 24, 2020
Hello, I recently bought a P-ATX and migrated my 2600x, Gigabyte x470 Aorus gaming 5 wifi and MSI GTX 980 4GD5 OC into it.

bytesphere451

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Feb 24, 2020
How do I edit posts?

Continued:
The trouble started the day after I moved into it, windows froze and restarted, and I had no other issues for a couple of hours, then it crashed again, and before it finished restarting it crashed again and again...
At first i thought i might have f***ed up something when I moved into the case but after moving everything back out of the case I could see a red led lighting up next to the letters VGA.
I removed the PCIe riser and everything worked fine again. I contacted the seller and got a new one really quick.

However, it happened again... worked great for a day, crashed, worked for a couple of hours, crashed...

I went to a local electronics store and got a generic pcie riser cable and the same thing happened again.

I currently have another new riser cable that should work, but I'm hesitating about using it.
Could it be that my GPU is eating/destroying the cables?
Should I just get a new GPU and reserve the new cable for that?
Could the other cables still be fine?
What if I try my new cable with my current gpu and it destroys it too?

Jayhawker

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 5, 2019
Are you bending the riser cable at all? I'm having some issues with my PC which I think can be attributed to a bad riser but I'm not positive.