Travelling ITX workstation - dual 10 GigE, 5700 XT, Ryzen 3700X in SM560

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Why would you buy assrock anyway? They are the shi...est of them shi...
They use the worst components for vrm and are are constaly overheating. Especialy in a itx i wouldnt use that.

@stepnyVLK There are better ways of getting your distaste for a certain brand across without being a dick. No need to swear like that. Your apology in your signature doesn't apply here - take a chill pill.

Reactions: Kilrah

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
Because there isn't anyone else who makes an AMD ITX motherboard with Thunderbolt.

I'm planning on undervolting/clocking most components and have been conservative about thermal demands.
Since i build a mini itx with an assrock b450 and a 2700x for a friend and runn into variouse troubble. Im not so keen on this brand. And had to swap the case for an micto atx case the vrm was still 85+ ;)

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
@stepnyVLK There are better ways of getting your distaste for a certain brand across without being a dick. No need to swear like that. Your apology in your signature doesn't apply here - take a chill pill.
Seems like somrone is protecting that safe space for the sponsors. I apollogize for my bad english not for my swearing ;)
You should take a chill pill its just money ;)

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
Because there isn't anyone else who makes an AMD ITX motherboard with Thunderbolt.

I'm planning on undervolting/clocking most components and have been conservative about thermal demands.
Why is thunderbolt still a thing? you have usb 3,2 on the gigabyte and witch device you want to run on it if i may ask?

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Seems like somrone is protecting that safe space for the sponsors. I apollogize for my bad english not for my swearing ;)
You should take a chill pill its just money ;)

Considering we have no sponsors, and rely solely on the community so fund this website, that's an interesting way to see it.

Stop being a dick. Replying to a warning with sass is a sure fire way of meeting my ban hammer, fyi.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Why is thunderbolt still a thing? you have usb 3,2 on the gigabyte and witch device you want to run on it if i may ask?

Thunderbolt is still a thing because some people need to hot swap storage devices in the 10-20tb range and load data off them quickly enough to work with it in professional applications. Others need fast networking, which is doable through thunderbolt. We aren't all gamers.

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
Considering we have no sponsors, and rely solely on the community so fund this website, that's an interesting way to see it.

Stop being a dick. Replying to a warning with sass is a sure fire way of meeting my ban hammer, fyi.
Haha thats a nice way of threaring a "comunity" you feel powerfull like that ?

User was banned for this post and above behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I did warn them...

FYI all, don't be a dick. The user's original post could have been phrased a lot better, negating the need for multiple users to report the post. (and then the ensuing shenanigans)

As an aside, the rule "In general, use common sense and show courtesy to your fellow members " includes mods and admins as users. Just a hint ;)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I did warn them...

FYI all, don't be a dick. The user's original post could have been phrased a lot better, negating the need for multiple users to report the post. (and then the ensuing shenanigans)

As an aside, the rule "In general, use common sense and show courtesy to your fellow members " includes mods and admins as users. Just a hint ;)

Thanks, I reported his initial post. Not adding anything to the discussion and being a jerk about it isn't welcome here.

Thunderbolt is still a thing because some people need to hot swap storage devices in the 10-20tb range and load data off them quickly enough to work with it in professional applications. Others need fast networking, which is doable through thunderbolt. We aren't all gamers.
There are a bunch of professional use cases where Thunderbolt is super useful. A lot of high-end studio gear has standardized on TB because of all the Macs in that environment. So some pro audio gear, a lot of storage-reader devices, stuff like that.
For me, I bought the AsRock Z390 board with TB3 because I wanted to put 10GbE in my system and that was the simplest way (actually a lot easier than PCIe Bifurcation, although in OP's use case he's looking to do both TB3 and PCIe BiFurcation!).

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks, I reported his initial post. Not adding anything to the discussion and being a jerk about it isn't welcome here.

There are a bunch of professional use cases where Thunderbolt is super useful. A lot of high-end studio gear has standardized on TB because of all the Macs in that environment. So some pro audio gear, a lot of storage-reader devices, stuff like that.
For me, I bought the AsRock Z390 board with TB3 because I wanted to put 10GbE in my system and that was the simplest way (actually a lot easier than PCIe Bifurcation, although in OP's use case he's looking to do both TB3 and PCIe BiFurcation!).

I agree. Someday the gamer crowd will recognize it as the epic thing it is, but by then it will be a permanent fixture in the WS market!

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I agree. Someday the gamer crowd will recognize it as the epic thing it is, but by then it will be a permanent fixture in the WS market!
To be fair to "gamers" - Thunderbolt has been underwhelming for a long time. I say this as someone who bought an i7 Thinkpad T430s, one of the only Windows laptops to ever ship with Thunderbolt (pre-TB3) back in 2013, only to be disappointed that it wasn't any faster than the ExpressCard solution I was already using for eGPU (because Lenovo only wired up 1 PCIe Lane to it!). Also, Intel worked very hard to ruin the low-cost ecosystem by overcharging for their controllers, controlling certification standards to stifle innovation (banning official eGPUs until years after TB launched on Macs), and sending Cease & Desist orders to anyone that tried to work around it. They've also limited the bandwidth of TB3 with firmware code that locks your best-case transfer rate to 22Gbps (not 40). Frankly, they can eat a bag of @#$%s for all the good they've done.

So it's no wonder that the standard has only caught on with Macs and "pros" because it's overpriced and Intel has played gatekeeper to keep it out of areas that would excite gamers. By the time "official" eGPU solutions launched, they were $300-500 in price, usually for a crappy power supply, a cheap circuit board, and a metal enclosure. People were building similar ExpressCard and mPCIe-based eGPU setups for $120 back 8 years ago.

My only hope is that USB4 fixes these frankly non-technical issues related to Intel and their handling of the entire Thunderbolt ecosystem. Less cost, less lock-in, less certification shenanigans, so we can see more innovation at lower prices.

Apologies for the rant.

forvak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Thank you confusis for all your time and work!

Hi folks!

Yes, I want Thunderbolt specifically for professional applications. Increasingly it's seen as a reasonable/likely bus for high bandwidth radio systems and for FPGA accelerator hardware. Other applications include video capture cards though USB 3 does handle that fine.

The case and replacement motherboard have arrived which means the only missing piece is the IS-60 cooler which is stuck in a customs queue. I've done a test fit of the motherboard, PSU, and SATA cable and it's going to work! I do need to have a shim plate made to scoot the PSU over 4.0mm from the default mounting bracket, but I've sketched up the pattern and should have it in a few days. The PSU does touch both the side of the case (a rivet) and the SATA connector.

Who says you need clearance! If there's a gap then the case could have been smaller right?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
To be fair to "gamers" - Thunderbolt has been underwhelming for a long time. I say this as someone who bought an i7 Thinkpad T430s, one of the only Windows laptops to ever ship with Thunderbolt (pre-TB3) back in 2013, only to be disappointed that it wasn't any faster than the ExpressCard solution I was already using for eGPU (because Lenovo only wired up 1 PCIe Lane to it!). Also, Intel worked very hard to ruin the low-cost ecosystem by overcharging for their controllers, controlling certification standards to stifle innovation (banning official eGPUs until years after TB launched on Macs), and sending Cease & Desist orders to anyone that tried to work around it. They've also limited the bandwidth of TB3 with firmware code that locks your best-case transfer rate to 22Gbps (not 40). Frankly, they can eat a bag of @#$%s for all the good they've done.

So it's no wonder that the standard has only caught on with Macs and "pros" because it's overpriced and Intel has played gatekeeper to keep it out of areas that would excite gamers. By the time "official" eGPU solutions launched, they were $300-500 in price, usually for a crappy power supply, a cheap circuit board, and a metal enclosure. People were building similar ExpressCard and mPCIe-based eGPU setups for $120 back 8 years ago.

My only hope is that USB4 fixes these frankly non-technical issues related to Intel and their handling of the entire Thunderbolt ecosystem. Less cost, less lock-in, less certification shenanigans, so we can see more innovation at lower prices.

Apologies for the rant.
100% in agreement.

forvak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
The fit of the SATA cables into the right angle connectors was the largest known risk in this build. I'm content with the outcome that it can fit but needs a custom shim. It'll be a 6mm thick plate with two sets of SFX mounting holes. That should be made in the next week or so. Three more components still in the mail..

Sadly PSlate is backordered on cables, I want to eventually get a set of custom short, unsleeved cables to clear up the cable mess that seems inevitable.

Last edited:

forvak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Update time! All components are here including the power supply shim. It look great!

It's 6mm thick aluminum. The width allows standard 1/2 inch screws to be used to attach to the PSU and the PSU/Case's supplied 1/4 inch screws to attach the case to the plate. The countersunk holes are unthreaded since the PSU holes are threaded. A small amount of hand filing was needed around the switch and IEC socket, I was off by a mm in my measurements.

Fully mounted I can see a few tweaks I'd make if I had to redo the plate, but it's definitely functional.

Finally the money shot, Can I plug in the SATA cables?

Yes, yes, I can. I only have two hard drives so only needed two SATA connectors, but hadn't thought about the mounting plate being a clearance issue with the top SATA connectors. Oops. It'd be easily fixable with a mill, saw, or file if I needed those ports in the future. ?

Onto the next issue, the ID-Cooling IS-60 CPU cooler won't fit on this motherboard. The large chipset heatsinks are too tall. I'll have to saw off just under a centimeter of fins from each side of the cooler. Thankfully there's plenty of room to do that.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Update time! All components are here including the power supply shim. It look great!

It's 6mm thick aluminum. The width allows standard 1/2 inch screws to be used to attach to the PSU and the PSU/Case's supplied 1/4 inch screws to attach the case to the plate. The countersunk holes are unthreaded since the PSU holes are threaded. A small amount of hand filing was needed around the switch and IEC socket, I was off by a mm in my measurements.

Fully mounted I can see a few tweaks I'd make if I had to redo the plate, but it's definitely functional.

Finally the money shot, Can I plug in the SATA cables?

Yes, yes, I can. I only have two hard drives so only needed two SATA connectors, but hadn't thought about the mounting plate being a clearance issue with the top SATA connectors. Oops. It'd be easily fixable with a mill, saw, or file if I needed those ports in the future. ?

Onto the next issue, the ID-Cooling IS-60 CPU cooler won't fit on this motherboard. The large chipset heatsinks are too tall. I'll have to saw off just under a centimeter of fins from each side of the cooler. Thankfully there's plenty of room to do that.
Consider the Cryorig C7G then?

forvak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Nah, with a handsaw it only took a little bit to get down to size.

It is touching the top of the RAM though and I lost two of the cooler fan mount points.

Definitely not done with the cable packing/routing, but it's coming together.

I can't help feeling like I missed some point with the hard drives, I couldn't get the power cables connected while the drives were mounted facing front. Doesn't matter, but *shrug*?

I did realize that I won't be able to see the BIOS to change the bifurcation setting without a graphics card installed. And with the motherboard installed I can't put a graphics card in except in the bifurcation riser.... So, unpacking it all tomorrow morning to muck about with the BIOS and test the riser before installing it all again.

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Has anyone air-cooled a 105 W TDP CPU in an SM560 case, and if so, with what cooling setup and what sort of thermals under full utilization?

I've been trying to come up with a method to estimate this. There's a simple formula for vented enclosures with airflow, here on page 2: http://files.danfoss.com/download/Drives/mn90n102.pdf

So I guess guesstimating the airflow of your fans at maximum desired noise level, then the effective airflow through the case will be less than that by some factor. (Question is how much.)
Then guesstimating the maximum desired wattage of the CPU and other components inside the case.
Then calculating the the temp. rise.