Tips on buying NFC Skyreach 4 Mini?

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Looking to buy a new pc this year as a going away gift for myself, and I have recently taken an interest in SFF builds.
I love the look and size of the Skyreach 4 mini, since itt would be great to be able to move it around a lot.

The only problem is that the shipping cost to my country is 999$! This is a bit more than I would expect to pay even though i don't live in the US.

But since I know a lot of the people here have experience with SFF builds, I would hope some of you had some tips to share on the whole shipping process!

Anything would help! Thanks a lot in advance! :))

Reactions: arkzdj

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
That's weird, 999 seems so high that it's maybe a placeholder and shipping might not even be available to your country? I would contact NFC or use a forwarding service from a country nearby that's possibly cheaper.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Where you located? I have a skyreach and having been holding off making the switch to an Ncase (already have the case) until I get new hardware... but you know how getting new hardware is these days so the ncase has been sitting empty for a few months. I'm in Canada, not sure what timeframe Canada post would take but I imagine it wouldn't cost $1000...

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
It's really strange, if you ship to Germany it's 25 Dollar, but to Austria it's 999 Dollar.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The shipping is listed as $999 as TW Post is not currently shipping to Austria. https://store.nfc-systems.com/blogs...international-availability-for-nfc-enclosures

Reactions: EuropeanDoggo

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
I'm kinda guessing his from the Philippines cause that's how much the shipping would be for me too lol

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I'm actually from Denmark, so yeah it is really weird that shipping would be 999$ but i'll try contacting support and hear what they have to say

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Where you located? I have a skyreach and having been holding off making the switch to an Ncase (already have the case) until I get new hardware... but you know how getting new hardware is these days so the ncase has been sitting empty for a few months. I'm in Canada, not sure what timeframe Canada post would take but I imagine it wouldn't cost $1000...
I would actually be very interested, can you pm me with some more details?

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020

I'm actually from Denmark, so yeah it is really weird that shipping would be 999$ but i'll try contacting support and hear what they have to say
Oh my bad lol
Out of topic, I'm also planning my first SFF (S4M) case and was wondering if your also gonna buy the skywire cables and the 180 angle adapter?

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Oh my bad lol
Out of topic, I'm also planning my first SFF (S4M) case and was wondering if your also gonna buy the skywire cables and the 180 angle adapter?
no prob
I'm not planning to buy the 180 angle adapter since i only have a 1050ti so it doesnt need the extra power. I mmight get when I eventually upgrade to something more powerful.

I hadn't really thought about getting the skywire cables, don't the power cables come with the psu? Im planning on getting the HDplex micropsus btw, which funfact: dont ship for anything at all to denmark!

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
no prob
I'm not planning to buy the 180 angle adapter since i only have a 1050ti so it doesnt need the extra power. I mmight get when I eventually upgrade to something more powerful.

I hadn't really thought about getting the skywire cables, don't the power cables come with the psu? Im planning on getting the HDplex micropsus btw, which funfact: dont ship for anything at all to denmark!
The skywire cables i think is just to make it look good and sleek, if my budget allows it probably will go for it. Same with the 180 angle adapter i think it's just for space saving (i don't know i;m a noob at this lol)
HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX -> this is what you mean? I'm gonna get it too
what fan are you planning to use?

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
The skywire cables i think is just to make it look good and sleek, if my budget allows it probably will go for it. Same with the 180 angle adapter i think it's just for space saving (i don't know i;m a noob at this lol)
I've honestly never built a pc either so i'm looking forward to the challenge even though my life is linus tech tips and stuff like that.

I don't have a great interest in the aesthetics yet (I just want it to work lol) so im not gonna cash out on all the pretty stuff, just some.
Yeah the 180 adapter is to save space for the brickless build.

HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX -> this is what you mean? I'm gonna get it too
what fan are you planning to use?
That's the one! I love that it's so small, I never knew they could get so small! I'm getting the 400AC-DC too so I can do the brickless build that I linked to before.

Im gonna get the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4, since theres plenty of room for it and it isn't very expensive

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
I've honestly never built a pc either so i'm looking forward to the challenge even though my life is linus tech tips and stuff like that.

I don't have a great interest in the aesthetics yet (I just want it to work lol) so im not gonna cash out on all the pretty stuff, just some.
Yeah the 180 adapter is to save space for the brickless build.

That's the one! I love that it's so small, I never knew they could get so small! I'm getting the 400AC-DC too so I can do the brickless build that I linked to before.

Im gonna get the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4, since theres plenty of room for it and it isn't very expensive
Yeah this is actually rhe first time im building one with my own hands too. And I'm learning in can be quite ther headache

Well aeathetics wise I'm also kinda meh.. i was just affraid thay if i missed something i would have to reship it

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Yeah this is actually rhe first time im building one with my own hands too. And I'm learning in can be quite ther headache

Well aeathetics wise I'm also kinda meh.. i was just affraid thay if i missed something i would have to reship it
Yeah heard that too ahaha, but I'm looking forward to getting started on it. Been thinking about getting a new system for quite some time, but i guess thats just the viscious circle of new stuff just coming out every year.

It might actually be a good idea to get at least the 24-pin skywire cable since it's so much shorter than the one that comes with the HDPlex (like 6 cm vs. 20cm from HDPlex) I think it would save an unnecessary headache just getting the skywire cables and avoiding having to route 14 extra cm of wires. Although if the shipping is still 999$ it might be worth the headache to just skip them haha

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
So, update on the whole shipping situation:
NFC are still working out what it will actually cost to ship to some countries, and therefore it isn't really possibble to order anything from their website for as long as the shipping rates aren't agreed upon. So @robbee was right in it being a placeholder price while they figure out the actual price. At least this was the case for my country Denmark, but probably also the case for @arkzdj

Hopefully this helps people having the same wonderings as me, in the future.

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
Hey @EuropeanDoggo! Sad news with regards to shipping will just have to wait and see then. I guess that rules out most of asian countiries

Yeah heard that too ahaha, but I'm looking forward to getting started on it. Been thinking about getting a new system for quite some time, but i guess thats just the viscious circle of new stuff just coming out every year.
Tell me about it.. once you get started you try to find something smaller and better and the costs grows exponentially haha

Noob question: what do they mean when they say "brickless" build :D

EuropeanDoggo

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Hey @EuropeanDoggo! Sad news with regards to shipping will just have to wait and see then. I guess that rules out most of asian countiries
Well he didn't say anything about asian countries, so I wouldn't lose all hope yet.

Noob question: what do they mean when they say "brickless" build :D
Brickless means that the ac-dc converter is inside the case. If I understand correctly, you weren't able to do brickless sff builds in the past because there were no ac-dc components that were made for putting inside the tiny case, so people used something like the dell 330W power brick which is a laptop charger instead.
Of course if your case was big enough it could still fit something like an sfx or even an atx psu. But the sff ac-dc components arem, to my understanding fairly new.

Hopes that makes sense :)

Reactions: arkzdj

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
Well he didn't say anything about asian countries, so I wouldn't lose all hope yet.

Brickless means that the ac-dc converter is inside the case. If I understand correctly, you weren't able to do brickless sff builds in the past because there were no ac-dc components that were made for putting inside the tiny case, so people used something like the dell 330W power brick which is a laptop charger instead.
Of course if your case was big enough it could still fit something like an sfx or even an atx psu. But the sff ac-dc components arem, to my understanding fairly new.

Hopes that makes sense :)
But with the advent of the HDplex 400w brickless built has become an option, and i;m really eyeing it for now (portability > everything lol)
Shipping problems in my country too :(
will probably have a friend ship it from the US personally

thanks for all the advise
hope to see your build soon!

btw what are you planning with regards to hard drives? m2 or 2.5" ssds? and if your going pure m2 will you use a 120mm fan vs using the space for 2.5?

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
btw what are you planning with regards to hard drives? m2 or 2.5" ssds? and if your going pure m2 will you use a 120mm fan vs using the space for 2.5?
I am using 2x 120mm fans on the back side of the GPU and so far one m2 ssd with 1TB. I still have another m2 slot in case I need more storage. Maybe one day 4TB if affordable.

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
I am using 2x 120mm fans on the back side of the GPU and so far one m2 ssd with 1TB. I still have another m2 slot in case I need more storage. Maybe one day 4TB if affordable.
wow
hey can you show a pic of how's that assembled? that's i think my ideal setup too (if i can afford the m2 1tb)
I wanna see the fan placement there and what type of fans you're using