Stalled This is what I've been working on lately (4.3L watercooled)

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

Yup, you read that right. 4.3L watercooled.

Here's what I hope to cram in there:

MB: Biostar X370GTN
CPU: R7 1700
GPU: R9 Fury X, Short Vega card, or GTX 1060 Mini
SSD: 1TB Crucial M.2
Radiator: Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Dual 60
Fans: Sanyo Denki 9GA
PSU: G-Unique 1kW
RAM: 16GB DDR4
CPU block/pump: Swiftech Apogee
GPU block: idk
Button: iFreilicht Iris 16
External PSU: Meanwell SE1000

I'm mainly concerned about things being too tight in this case, do they look too tight?

Last edited:

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Wouldn't a fury nano with ek block give you a little more room then the fury x?

Besides that crazy looking concept have any pictures of the radiators to help cool it?

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

Probably. The case has support for cards up to 255mm long so with a short card I'd have more room for 2.5" drives.

Besides that crazy looking concept have any pictures of the radiators to help cool it?
Here

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Well I can imagine with a Fiji based card you may want a separate loop somehow now the ryzen 1700 that's extremely doable.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
R9 295x2 was able to deal with a single 120mm radiator so I'm willing to bet this would work well with a GTX 1060.

I'd choose RX 480 over the 1060, though, mostly because there are full cover waterblocks available for the 480, but not the 1060. But it's your call. With the 1060 you could just use a EK Thermosphere plus heatsinks for VRM's.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
G-unique 1kW? Is this a one off custom? What are you making the chassis out of?

1000W is way overkill. 60mm fan seems like it would make some noise.

But this is a really cool project. :thumb:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Ah, now you make me want to re-think my own 4-5L case project. Back to the drawing board haha.

I would also agree with increasing the rad size to a dual 80mm. You'll have a greater choice of quieter fans.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
According to the calculator, the XT45 120 dissipates 102W of heat with one (LOUD) fan at 2200rpm.

I guess the dual-60 probably dissipates half of that?

By the way I think you can possibly fit one or two 40mm fans just above the IOs.

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
R9 295x2 was able to deal with a single 120mm radiator so I'm willing to bet this would work well with a GTX 1060.

I'd choose RX 480 over the 1060, though, mostly because there are full cover waterblocks available for the 480, but not the 1060. But it's your call. With the 1060 you could just use a EK Thermosphere plus heatsinks for VRM's.

Yup, I probably should have bought a 480. But I made the mistake of getting a 1060... silly me

Qinx's H20-Micro uses a 2x80mm rad, though for a lighter thermal load. A 2x60mm ran can probably handle your rig, though the fans needed to do so would be far from quiet...

G-unique 1kW? Is this a one off custom? What are you making the chassis out of?

1000W is way overkill. 60mm fan seems like it would make some noise.

Ah, now you make me want to re-think my own 4-5L case project. Back to the drawing board haha.

I would also agree with increasing the rad size to a dual 80mm. You'll have a greater choice of quieter fans.

According to the calculator, the XT45 120 dissipates 102W of heat with one (LOUD) fan at 2200rpm.

The fans I plan to use spin at 21500RPM and provide 1750Pa of pressure. Sound ranges from 8 to 34dB which is quiet enough for me.

G-unique 1kW? What are you making the chassis out of?

1000W is way overkill.

I'll be using 3mm acrylic. I agree 1kW is certainly overkill, but it's the same price as a 600W solution and future-proofing never hurts. I may try to cram a dual Vega card in later, in which case I would need that much power.

Thanks! :D

Hey, yours may turn out better!

According to the calculator

What calculator did you use? I'm curious, didn't know these things existed!

By the way I think you can possibly fit one or two 40mm fans just above the IOs.

That's a great idea! I'll look into that!

Last edited:

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Photo for the lazy ...

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Update time!

Front and rear panel redesigned, considering moving power connectors to front. New panel fastening mechanism - previously I was planning on gluing together two U shapes but I decided it would be better to have 3D printed cubes on the corners and screw each panel in individually. Moved motherboard up 8mm because I didn't have room for M.2 SSD on back, and better 2.5" drive placement. Considering a retro-ish look

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I personally prefer the gray, industrial aesthetic between the two shown. And if you went that route I'd suggest a more complimentary font, or maybe even some variant of the name. I dunno. Just my thoughts :) Explore your creativity and find what suits you.

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I personally prefer the gray, industrial aesthetic between the two shown. And if you went that route I'd suggest a more complimentary font, or maybe even some variant of the name. I dunno. Just my thoughts :) Explore your creativity and find what suits you.

Does it look gray? I was going for clear, but still industrial. I mistakenly left the wrong font on that one too And the name is not final, that's just the only thing I could think of.