Discussion This 4070Ti has a tiny PCB

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 22, 2022
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I just found out at least the Gigabyte Gaming OC 4070 TI has a very short PCB. Has any SFF lunatic managed a single fan mod yet?

Picture courtesy of TechPowerUp.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
4070 Ti has a maximum power draw of 285 W, wondering if you really want and try and cool that with a single fan?

Well, of course I'd try to undervolt / set the power limit to something like 200W ... on the other hand it might overall make more sense to just wait for the 4060(Ti)

Reactions: rfarmer

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Reactions: rfarmer

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Anw, on a slightly more serious note, My Zotac 1660 Super is at 175 mm long but has 2 fans (75 mm and 65 mm)

Guest Review: Zotac GTX 1660 Super Twin Fan – SFF.Network | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

Unfortunately, I have no 1660 Super single fan for comparison, but usually more fans = better cooling.

One with proper resource, knowledge, and nimble hands can probably try this configuration :)
Depends significantly on the size/design of the fan(s) though, static pressure and flow can vary WILDLY hence the performance would too, not to mention the noise profile. Also not to mention the heatsink/cooler design itself would have to impact as well.

I find the 3060Ti that I've modded with the single-fan ITX heatsink to be surprisingly performant for the size and noise when cooling a 200W GPU.

Reactions: ignsvn

Bubba

Average Stuffer
Nov 4, 2019
smallformfactor.net
I have a Palit 1660 Ti StormX (single fan).
Even though it is only 120W TDP, this StormX is the best single fan card I ever owned.
It is better than some dual fan cards. And it is not loud.
Normally, I can not hear the fan until approximately 80% fan speed.
I set the fan at constant 70% and I never hear it.

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
I dont think 285w in this form factor is too ludicrous at all. It will be something that needs to be accounted for and dealt with, but getting 3090 performance out of 4 liters ought to be sufficient motivation to make that happen.

What I'm much more discouraged by is the fact that it's gonna be so hard to fit a 4090 into a small case, when the thermal situation isn't the limiting factor. Performance doesnt even drop significantly when limiting it to 350 (even 300) watts, someone just has to come up with a dual slot cooler to rig onto the 4090 and then we can put that into a Velka 7. This is a much harder proposition than fitting a single fan ITX cooler onto a 4070Ti it would seem. Either of these represent the best power density we can have. Water cooling has no place when taking power density to extremes. Water is great for power density in large systems, but in small systems all of the components to move around the water are using up precious volume that could be filled by fin stacks.

What is very nice about a 6 liter 4090 build though is linear performance density (getting 50% more performance by using 50% more volume). I think it may be a slight increase actually, since 4090 is up to 70% faster than 3090 at 4K.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Speaking of which, this thread made me browse around & found out that some 4090 PCBs are not that long/wide. Not as short as the 4070 mentioned above, but still reasonable.

I think there's a big possibility to put some of these into small 6-7L cases.

(Well at least dimension-wise. Thermal is a probably different story).

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
@ignsvn My experience running my 3080Ti FE at 385 watts all day long in a Velka 7 says a 4090 set to 300w would be comfortable in a velka 7, if it could have a suitable efficient dual slot air cooler attached to it.

What I do is I have two NF-A12x25 fans bolted onto the GPU side panel force-feeding the FE card. In this configuration it stays cool under 80C. It's not too noisy. A nice whooshing sound. I did do a thermal putty and copper ram shim application to bring the memory junction temps down.

When I run it without the noctua fans force-feeding the FE card, it definitely makes sense to undervolt the card. In this configuration it's the Velka 7 6 liter form factor. I guess with the noctuas bolted on I can consider it to be a 7 liter system.

I will never stop raving about the perfection that is the velka 7 GPU offset mod enabling the flow-through exhaust wind tunnel for the GPU. This helps the thermal situation a good bit. Without this approach, the exhaust air does get trapped, and flowthrough cooler designs may not be ideal in this case.

As you can tell I really would love to do a project jamming a 4090 into a Velka 7 but since I don't have any connections to heatsink manufacturers it does not seem to be in the cards for me. It's a hell of a niche. Most 4090 users are fine running huge rigs. Me I'm only interested in something 7 liters or less. 3080Ti holds me over fine for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@ignsvn My experience running my 3080Ti FE at 385 watts all day long in a Velka 7 says a 4090 set to 300w would be comfortable in a velka 7, if it could have a suitable efficient dual slot air cooler attached to it.

What I do is I have two NF-A12x25 fans bolted onto the GPU side panel force-feeding the FE card. In this configuration it stays cool under 80C. It's not too noisy. A nice whooshing sound. I did do a thermal putty and copper ram shim application to bring the memory junction temps down.

This is awesome but..

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
... on the other hand it might overall make more sense to just wait for the 4060(Ti)

Annoying... in another market the full AD104 might have released much cheaper and with a much lower powerlimit :/
(I like fully enabled Die's XD)

@dc443 I like the big FE's (3090/Tie/4080/4090) because this layout would be ideal to utilize the flow through design, a SFX-PSU has the height and SFX-PSU+mini-ITX board the lenght of a big FE:

The threads in the back could be used to secure it and ~ 7,8L would be possible.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
What do I need to do to get you to post that build? Name your price.
OK ok I'll post it soon. Tell ya what, I'll post it here instead of trying to resurrect my whole blog with it as an article. Since I have so many photos it will be a multi post series. It will also have to be a multi post series because i cant let it consume my entire evening.

I like the big FE's (3090/Tie/4080/4090) because this layout would be ideal to utilize the flow through design, a SFX-PSU has the height and SFX-PSU+mini-ITX board the lenght of a big FE:

The threads in the back could be used to secure it and ~ 7,8L would be possible.
Yes I love the idea of using these mounting points that they have graciously made available. Must be hell to provide hardware for all the different possibilities, but standardization would help with that, and also these days 3d printing makes accommodating your unusual setup that much easier.

Yes I would like to explore what volume we could end up with for a console style minimum volume possible 4090 build because I agree that this is quite good for flow through cooling.

I still think the sandwich is thin enough (even with triple slot GPU) to be more compelling since it's so backpackable. I just want to eliminate the A4 H2O / Formd T1 top space for the AIO. No AIO in extreme SFF... air cooling only. maximize the volume dedicated to heatsinks.

The console form factor is quite a bit thinner, but the square footprint makes it too bulky for backpacks imo.

Reactions: Runamok81

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
OK ok I'll post it soon. Tell ya what, I'll post it here instead of trying to resurrect my whole blog with it as an article. Since I have so many photos it will be a multi post series. It will also have to be a multi post series because i cant let it consume my entire evening.

Suggestion - I understand that it's tedious to manage multiple images, so perhaps there's no need to post all photos.

At least include the usual money/beauty shots & those that highlight important or tricky situations that you encountered throughout your build process.

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Suggestion - I understand that it's tedious to manage multiple images, so perhaps there's no need to post all photos.

At least include the usual money/beauty shots & those that highlight important or tricky situations that you encountered throughout your build process.
Not a bad suggestion. I do tend to try to push the boundaries with everything that I do though so we'll see. I have made an album with all the photos that I made of the build. It's 189 photos. Probably half of them are not needed but that's still super meaty. I did make photos for most of the build/rebuild sessions I had with this project. It's not really the management of the photos that is tedious. I rather enjoy that part. Actually none of this is tedious. It's just going to take a while and I know once I start I won't want to stop.