Cooling Thernalright Silver Arrow 130 is Sharp...Literally

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I’m rebuilding my 8086K into my Gen5 Ncase M1 and I decided to try air cooling with the Silver Arrow 130. This cooler is downright hazardous.

When you open the box, you see special handling gloves, and a giant warning label about how sharp the coolers fins are...

BUT WHY? Thermalright did this to make the cooler look nice, but good lord I feel like I’m sticking my hands in box of knives. This is dumb.

I’ll update with the cooling performance in a bit, but wow was this a dumb choice on their part. No wonder Noctua is kicking their butts...

Reactions: Jerdz

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So far...yes it does IN MY SETUP. Keep in mind I'm not doing a neutral test bench where all things are equal. The U9S did terrible in my setup compared to even the Cryorig C1.

Setup: NCASE M1 V5. CPU 8086K Stock (so far), Rear Exhaust 92mm Noctua, bottom intakes are 120mm Noctua A12s. GPU is a RX5700 BLOWER model. I choose it specifically for the blower.

This is a comparatively high airflow setup. For my initial run I set everything to standard in the PWM fan settings in the BIOs. Running 3DMARK the GPU never went past the mid 60's C and the CPU was in the low 70s C. Fans revved up of course. Score was a little over 8000.

I've quieted the system down now a bit. I'll post some other runs later.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Give thanks for receiving a pair of glove. :-) Consider it a bonus as it is not part of the standard included accessories of a Silver Arrow 130. TR does include a pair of glove as standard with their Silver Arrow ITX-R though. The joke was that the 'R' means Rambo First Blood as it usually draws blood during installation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Give thanks for receiving a pair of glove. :-) Consider it a bonus as it is not part of the standard included accessories of a Silver Arrow 130. TR does include a pair of glove as standard with their Silver Arrow ITX-R though. The joke was that the 'R' means Rambo First Blood as it usually draws blood during installation.

Blood was drawn... blood...was...drawn...

I’ve finally found a cooler more dangerous than the Scythe Ninja.

...plus side, it’s cooling the CPU really well. 9900K / 3900X at stock settings should be well within the limits. It’s reasonably quiet up from 50% to 80% fan speed, and below 50% it goes below my ambient. Above 85% there is a vibration noise.

Reactions: judokamak