Enclosure Thermaltake Core G3: a 24L ATX case with SFX mount

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thermaltake certainly surprised me with doing something that makes sense for some of us but is completely bonkers for 99% of the PC enthusiasts: an ATX case with only room for a single double-slot GPU, that's relatively slim too. While the one GPU limitation is too much for enthusiast builds (arguably), it does allow one to deck out a full-option X99 board with all the cores and RAM money can buy.

That's not all: they've also nixed the ATX PSU mount and only support SFX and potentially SFX-L PSUs, further paving the way of SFX replacing ATX for general usage.

With some modding, a second GPU could also fit I'd reckon.

Read more here.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Not bad, actually. I could see cases like this being sold quite well. They make for amazing looking builds with watercooling, offer support for ATX mainboards with all their features that ITX and mATX aren't getting but give enough room for a single full-size GPU.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
A second 90° GPU mount could easily fit where the 'ventilation' grill above the IO shield is, as long as the CPU is restricted to WC.
The 90° card is a bit of an odd choice though, even with the SFX PSU deciding the minimum case height you could easily fit multiple reference cards in the normal orientation without making the case larger.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'd buy it. It's a better use of space than the Lian Li PC-O cases. It can probably fit a few normal height cards in the usual orientation, even accounting for PEG connectors on them. Also, I think SLI is becoming less relevant with this generation of GPUs, so I would be fine with a single card but still use a few of the other slots for storage, audio expansion, etc. and maybe put a large radiator on the bottom.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
A second 90° GPU mount could easily fit where the 'ventilation' grill above the IO shield is, as long as the CPU is restricted to WC.
The 90° card is a bit of an odd choice though, even with the SFX PSU deciding the minimum case height you could easily fit multiple reference cards in the normal orientation without making the case larger.
I'd like to see this done actually, would make for a very interesting SLI case config.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
The case looks neat an all, but I don't understand why you'd want one though.
SFX does make sense in this case (I'll admit, an full ATX PSU might still make sense in full sized ATX cases given they can have so much in them) since there's only one GPU to drive, but the single GPU is what has me scratching my head. Why even bother with an ATX board at that point?

Reactions: jeshikat

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
It's not the most efficient use of space, especially concerning the space behind the GPU.

Here's idea though - mount the storage behind the GPU hidden out of sight, then use the space where the drive cage is for another 120mm radiator taking air in from the bottom. Or a big reservoir.

Alternatively the empty space can also be used for lighting controllers (e.g. NZXT HUE+) or fan controllers.

The case looks neat an all, but I don't understand why you'd want one though.

It's the smallest and cheapest windowed vertical-GPU case from a big manufacturer as far as I know, especially with support for water cooling.

I think I'm going to give this case a go nearer Xmas, because I quite fancy a windowed vertical GPU case but the Sunmilo is a no-go and the Lian Li PC-O5S is bigger / more expensive / less suited to water cooling.

Reactions: owliwar

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016

Dont tempt me

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've discovered this week this Thermaltake Core G3 :
454 x 140 x 371 mm, approx 23l case using SFX power supply, pci riser, and very narrow width..:)

What i liked is easy :
  • Narrow width : 140mm
  • Show internal beautifuly
  • Could save place on my desktop as I will put this case on floor
  • Nice ventilation
What do you think about it?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well because we are so used of customed case..:)

Anyway this case seems promising and quite inexpensive, 85euros..:)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm starting to really like this case..:):)
Main advantage is that I already know where I can put it nicely...:) But first I would like to experiment with my Phenom, as I already own it and it will provide more cooling potential

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I merged both threads since they're about the same case :)
I'll also rename the topic title because it's not easy to find otherwise.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thx phuncz..:)
Just a stupid question about airflow : in case of having 240mm rad in front, what orientation will you give to fans? Exhaust or intake?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I prefer exhaust over intake (if no other fans are used) generally, because that way you atleast know that the hot air will be pulled outside the case. But in this case, with a straight airflow pattern, I'm not sure you'd notice when using adequate fans. Since it's basically a rectangle with holes on one side and fans on another. Not much places where air can escape or stay behind.