Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow 130mm Tower Cooler

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
@MTMeow has been providing us some leaks with this potential new tower. It seems like a good contender to unseat the Noctua U9S/D9L as the top tower coolers for the NCase M1. I just thought I would condense the info and give it a focused thread rather than being in the Dan-A4's heatsink thread.

And maybe some people are interested in this.

[pics moved to bottom of post]

It's a sample from Thermalright too.
130mm height with TY-127 1500 RPM.
Its performance like Macho120.maybe more.

Axp100 copper version will be listed for sale.

I am waiting for C4 SFX. How long.....

This radiator will be released in September. It's 130mm hight.with 12cm fan 1500 or 1800 RPM.
They are also trying to make a radiator with a height of 135 mm.
It may be called Macho120P.A 135 mm hight radiator with 12cm fan. 5 heatpipes.
There is also a new version of TS90. called TS90P.Upgrade to 4 heatpipes.

What he's told us so far:
  • 130 mm in height with a 120mm fan at 1500 or 1800 RPM
  • performance similar to the Macho 120 (which has a TDP of 200 W)
  • planned release of September

Compared to the Noctua 92mm offerings, it definitely seems bigger (which might create space issues since it will leave part of the CPU zone on the sides) and adds an additional heatpipe compared to teh U9S and 2 compared to the D9L. Noctua doesn't list it's TDPs on the website, just a TDP guide, but it seems based on that guide that this cooler should have a higher TDP design. With 120mm fan support (assuming 25mm depth) it allows for the new Noctua NF-A12x25 to be used as well for potentially added benefit.

Hopefully it will actually come out in September, as I'm still waiting for the new Corsair PSUs to start my build.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This looks like an excellent candidate for the Ncase M1 and Cerberus cases, I can't wait for the reviews !

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
It should be quite good, assuming it doesn't cause any PCIe issues (since it's wider than the CPU keepout zone) -- the sample photo shows it well clear though.

If it comes out in time for my build, I'll be going with this over the U9S just for the 120mm fan support alone. The vent angles seem like they might also help move air over the RAM and VRM area as well.

My current ancient build uses a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, which when it came out just destroyed every other heatsink out there, so I know Thermalright has the chops to do it well.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
@MTMeow, any update from your source? September is rapidly disappearing.

Of course, I'm still waiting for the stupid Corsair power supply.

D

Deleted member 3671

Is there some major disconnect here? When asking about the above 130mm cooler a while back, the response was:

Yes, the one you saw it Silver ITX-R is fit on this case.
And we do have AXP-100 Full Copper now.

Then asking a few days ago about the 130mm cooler again, the response is:

You can go on our website to see which one do you like it?
Thermalright site link
Maybe I can help you with it.
So far on September we only got AXP-Full Copper and new thermal paste

So they say the cooler specced at 147mm high on their website fits the Ncase M1...lol I don't think so. Then they roughly say that nothing is in the pipeline in terms of coolers. Obviously there is a picture with a 130mm is cooler above, obviously English is not the first language here, but really? Zero straight answers + blatantly wrong information about the Silver ITX-R, not cool.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
I emailed the US support, and they wanted me to send them info about it. Those pictures definitely show a 130mm tower based on the Silver Arrow design language, but the support people don't seem to know anything about it. It's the slightly higher than the U9S, so it can't be the one they already have at 147mm (as you said). Hopefully it's still coming and not been scrapped or just an internal prototype.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
I got a rep that gave me a little more info. Seems November is the currently planned release time-frame. They are still testing the heat pipe design (whether that means the ones we've already seen or if they have new variants, I don't know). It also seems to be part of the Silver Arrow line, which is zero surprise based on it's looks and comparing it to their other new products.

So, more waiting. Not sure I'll be able to hold off for it over the U9S. Depends a little bit on power supply availability. :\

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
The heatsink is "coming soon" and the package design is currently being done

However, not sure what that means for an actual launch date -- November might be possible, esp. if they are already in heatsink production. I'll probably have to make due with the included heatsink for awhile or use a U9s and then sell it (depending on performance).

Reactions: DKsystem

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
No new news, sadly.

But from the picture installed on an ASUS board, it appears to overhang the m.2 slot slightly. I wonder if there will be any issues with the m.2+sound card design on the ASUS AM4 ITX boards.

I had to go with an U9S for now, but if the reviews are good enough, I might switch out and sell the U9S.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Alpenfohn Atlas is already quite a good contender, dual-tower, 125mm, I'm using it with 2x92mm Noctua Redux fans and the performance is very decent. Not sure about the availability in NA.

This cooler looks great although the fan looks to have some weird mounts, it seems it's neither 120mm nor 92mm default hole pattern which might make switching up the fans quite difficult.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Alpenfohn has pretty much zero NA availability. I had looked at this cooler though, and not sure it buys much over the NH-D9L/U9S. It has an extra heatpipe over the D9L though.

This thermalright tower has 6, so it should have that extra step (esp. with a good 120 mm fan). You're right though...I hadn't noticed about the potentially weird mounting holes on the fan. This was an earlier prototype though, so maybe it will be normal.

I wish Noctua would release the actual max TDP their coolers are designed for rather than just putting a scale for how much overclocking is available. It would make it easier to compare.

Heatsink weights also give some idea of cooling potential (but not entirely, since design plays a huge factor):

D9L: 531g
U9S: 618g
Atlas: 650g (TDP of 200 W)
Silver Arrow ITX-R: 660g (TDP of 320 W, 147 mm tall thought) [the 130 mm will of course have difference specs]

Edit: I was looking at the SA ITX-R -- the reason the fan holes might look weird is they include a 130x120x25mm fan. So it probably has 120mm mounting holes. I assume they would have a similar fan on this unit. Although, it might make the mounting clips a hassle to go to a normal 120mm fan.

Last edited:

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-on-sale-new-itx-radiators-and-new-hr22.9699/
1.Thermalright Silver Arrow 130

high 130mm, 12cm fan 1500 rpm, 6 heat pipes, 6 year warranty.
Standard version only first fin,heat pipe,bottom nickel plating. $58
PLUS version is fully nickel plated. $66

Apparently they are up on Taobao now. (of course, like 1 week after I need it). Actual company webpages aren't updated yet. Currently China only.

Edit: not sure about Taobao vs. Tmall, but here's the link for this cooloer from @MTMeow: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...085400&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=19

And here's the specs:

Size: L120 x W101 x H130 mm
Weight w/ Fan: 600g
Weight w/o Fan: 470g
Heatpipes: 6mm x 6
Base: C1100 Pure copper nickel plated
Fins: 37
TDP: 240 W
Warranty: 6 Years

Fan
TY-127BP
Size: L130 x W120 x H25 mm
Weight: 130 g
Speed: 60-1500 RPM +- 10%
Noise: 19-23 dBA
Airflow: 28.32-84.97 CFM [48.116-144.3649 m3/h]
Static Pressure: 0.3-1.89 H20
Current: 0.20A
Bearing: FDB

So, that's interesting. The TDP seems high, but the weight is rather low for how big it is. For comparison, the U9S is

Size: L 95 x W 95 x H 125 mm (w/ fan)
Weight w/o fan: 524 g
Weight w/ fan: 618 g

This fan vs Noctua NF-A12x25 might be a toss-up. We'd have to see the P/Q curves to be sure. The airflow is a littler higher, but the static pressure is lower. But what actually matters if the few points of the curve where it will actually be working at, not the zero pressure max air flow. Noise should be vaguely similar.

Last edited:

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-on-sale-new-itx-radiators-and-new-hr22.9699/

Apparently they are up on Taobao now. (of course, like 1 week after I need it). Actual company webpages aren't updated yet. Currently China only.

Edit: not sure about Taobao vs. Tmall, but here's the link for this cooloer from @MTMeow: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...085400&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=19

And here's the specs:

Size: L120 x W101 x H130 mm
Weight w/ Fan: 600g
Weight w/o Fan: 470g
Heatpipes: 6mm x 6
Pure Copper Plated (Google translate not helping too much, but probably going for coated copper cold plate)
Fins: 37
TDP: 240 W
Warranty: 6 Years

Fan
TY-127BP
Size: L130 x W120 x H25 mm
Weight: 130 g
Speed: 60-1500 RPM +- 10%
Noise: 19-23 dBA
Airflow: 28.32-84.97 CFM [48.116-144.3649 m3/h]
Static Pressure: 0.3-1.89 H20
Current: 0.20A
Bearing: FDB

So, that's interesting. The TDP seems high, but the weight is rather low for how big it is. For comparison, the U9S is

Size: L 95 x W 95 x H 125 mm (w/ fan)
Weight w/o fan: 524 g
Weight w/ fan: 618 g

This fan vs Noctua NF-A12x25 might be a toss-up. We'd have to see the P/Q curves to be sure. The airflow is a littler higher, but the static pressure is lower. But what actually matters if the few points of the curve where it will actually be working at, not the zero pressure max air flow. Noise should be vaguely similar.
Wonder what those fan mounting points are. If they are standard 92mm or 120mm, then this fan seems hassle free to replace for another either better looking or better performing fan. If it is nonstandard though, that could be a bit of a pain.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
It's not quite standard. It's a 130x120. And if you notice, it has a very thin frame on the top and bottom.

I think it will still have standard 120mm mounting holes.

Edit: I also got a response back from the helpful customer support guy I've been emailing with. Apparently they have short supply of the new heat pipes, so world wide release probably won't be until some time next year.

Last edited:

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
I just saw your discussion.

These are its compatibility with 299 itx, and there are many pictures. The conclusion is that the compatibility is very good.
https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1937360-1-1.html

Thermalright SilverArrow 130

H=130mm

TDP=240W

12 cm fan can be installed

Disadvantage: 1.Fan buckles are not universal
2.Not Reflow soldering

(Some insiders say there will be relevant improved versions)

Reactions: TeutonJon78

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Could you say more about the disadvantages? I'm not sure what you mean. And I'm curious what you heard about the improved versions -- maybe that's part of the world wide delay as well.

But it seems to do about 10C better than the D9L which would be the similar to the U9S, and not far off the Kracken x52 if I'm guessing right.

Pretty impressive. I might still go for it once it goes full release and fixes any early issues. Pair it with the new noctua fan, and it would be pretty killer.

There seemed to be some talk about the M1 in that thread, but google translate kind of mangles it. Of course, we saw the prototype in the M1, so if they didn't change it too much, it will be fine.

I'm still worried it would conflict with the raised M.2 slot on the Asus AM4 boards, so we'll have to see the height of that first fin.