Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
For anyone chomping at the bit for more information
A surprise part III is in the works and this time it will be focused on trying to optimizing the SM550's performance for the absurd 9900k/3900X/3950X processors.

Special thanks go to Phil @pslate and @KSliger in advance. They have both helped out immensely.

Ooh when would this Part 3 drop? It might finally push me to move from my Sentry to the SM550 before I leave the US

frankie_gb

Efficiency Noob
Sep 3, 2019
[cross-posted from builds, this seems like a better place to get responses, hope that's ok]

Hi,

I've ordered an SM550 case, (specifically over the SM560 because I wanted a slimmer one).
I'm now trying to work out what the widest card I can fit in there would be practically speaking. In theory, the specs for the SM550 give the following max size:
  • Maximum card height: 133mm
  • Maximum card length: 305mm
  • Maximum card width: 2 slot, up to 50mm [I note some cards billed as 2.5 slot are <= 50mm]
Numbers are all well and good and there are a few cards with beefy cooling which I'd like to consider based on these dimensions, but first I'd like to see if anyone has actually tried one?

For example, the ASUS ROG strix 2060 has dimensions at: 300 x 132 x 50 mm

This is theoretically within the case tolerance, but does it really fit?

Since I opted for vented sides, and the holes are very generous, I'm thinking the lack of gap between the card fans and the case wouldn't be a deal-breaker...

Thanks!

volive

Cable Smoosher
Jan 4, 2019

frankie_gb

Efficiency Noob
Sep 3, 2019
@KSliger

Where can we get the manual for the SM570? Will this dual-slot RTX 2060 fit the SM570 just fine? I would assume so.
The width of that card is 38mm apparently. Edit: my mistake, it's the SUPER variant that's 38mm. Might be worth calling Zotac support.

Personally I would like to know if something like the ASUS strix 2060 at 50mm would actually fit in a 550 . I know the specs for the case say max 50mm (like the 570) but I'd feel better if someone had actually done it and could report success.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Wait up... there was a manual??!?! I opened everything and found nothing haha
Dang lol
Don't worry, you aren't the only one

No manual yet - a lot can be extrapolated from the SM550/SM560 manual though as they are very similar construction.

When we get on NewEgg/Amazon/etc. we will have a nice full color print out version of the manual included with the case.

[cross-posted from builds, this seems like a better place to get responses, hope that's ok]

Hi,

I've ordered an SM550 case, (specifically over the SM560 because I wanted a slimmer one).
I'm now trying to work out what the widest card I can fit in there would be practically speaking. In theory, the specs for the SM550 give the following max size:
  • Maximum card height: 133mm
  • Maximum card length: 305mm
  • Maximum card width: 2 slot, up to 50mm [I note some cards billed as 2.5 slot are <= 50mm]
Numbers are all well and good and there are a few cards with beefy cooling which I'd like to consider based on these dimensions, but first I'd like to see if anyone has actually tried one?

For example, the ASUS ROG strix 2060 has dimensions at: 300 x 132 x 50 mm

This is theoretically within the case tolerance, but does it really fit?

Since I opted for vented sides, and the holes are very generous, I'm thinking the lack of gap between the card fans and the case wouldn't be a deal-breaker...

Thanks!

The 2060 Strix will fit, but it is going to be basically flush with the side panel, will have 1~2mm of clearance. There's been a few people on here that have stuck 50 to 52mm wide cards into the SM550.

any Idea of any of these will fit the SM580?
https://www.primochill.com/products...x-slim-radiator-sky-white?variant=40099915728

they also have a DDC pump I'm not sure 100% it will fit @KSliger said about the SM580 " I personally designed it to mount the EK-XRES 100 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite or EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite in the top front above the GPU. "
https://www.primochill.com/collecti...id-cooling-12v-pump-kit-pwm-enabled-sky-white

it should match the white color of the SM580

Primochil radiators will fit in the SM580 no problem. That pump should fit just fine too!

@KSliger

Where can we get the manual for the SM570? Will this dual-slot RTX 2060 fit the SM570 just fine? I would assume so.

You assume correct!

The width of that card is 38mm apparently. Edit: my mistake, it's the SUPER variant that's 38mm. Might be worth calling Zotac support.

Personally I would like to know if something like the ASUS strix 2060 at 50mm would actually fit in a 550 . I know the specs for the case say max 50mm (like the 570) but I'd feel better if someone had actually done it and could report success.

Per above, anything 50mm wide will fit 100% - all of our dimensions on our specs are adjusted a few mm so that people don't pick zero clearance items.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
The black ridge is not making any miracles for me. I have a 3700x and it´s hot as hell, more or less the same temps than with the stock cooler and similar noise also. The difference is that is not as tall obviously. I also have a big shuriken rev 2 (old one, 775 socket) that gives me similar temps to the black risge. But if I use a Scythe Mugen temps go down a lot.

I don´t think that theres a magic formula here. number of heatpipes is nice, but you also need disspation surface, and the black ridge has very little, the same than other low profile coolers.
Same with me with the C7 CU. Not a great time on the 3700x.

Reactions: CountNoctua

frankie_gb

Efficiency Noob
Sep 3, 2019
Same with me with the C7 CU. Not a great time on the 3700x.
I picked up an IS-60 and a replacement Noctua NF-A12X15 fan to put on it, I've heard good things about temps with this, hope they were well founded. I think the C7 benefits from a Noctua fan from what I've read, if you haven't tried that already.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
SM580 v2 -- your input is needed!

I need everyone feedback on the SM580 v1 - only what you didn't like and think could be improved!

Will be changing the SM580 to be 14mm wider, this allows almost any 280mm radiator I can find on the market. 8mm of this will be to the CPU side so that there is a total of 63mm height for CPU pump block, GPU side will 6mm more for additional airflow.

Will be changing the handle mount / radiator mount bracket to be reversible so there isn't a correct direction to install it, had a few complaints of it being installed backwards and having to rebuild the system to get the handle to mount.

Adding one more screw to the PSU mount bracket in the front of the case so that it doesn't wiggle as much. Might remove one of the screws that attaches PSU mount bracket to the middle spine.

I am also removing the 2x rear plastic caps & 1" round holes for custom loops as I have not seen a single person use them.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I can't say I have any real issues with the case, though I think just a few millimeters more space for PSU height would allow for better SFX-L clearance/compatibility, and I would really love a tempered glass side panel option.

I would be willing to pay a premium for tempered glass; I haven't had issues with scratching the acrylic (yet), but it's already quickly showing dust (I know, not a big issue) and I would feel much more comfortable with a glass option (won't develop microscratches/swirls when wiping down), preferably with a light "smoked" tint that would still showcase components and lighting.

I know the existing connectors used for the panel might make it problematic to use a solid tempered glass panel - and all sorts of other potential issues, I'm sure - but I think it would be worth the cost as a buyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas17496

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I know this may be slightly off topic, but have you ever considering doing an itx card + flex psu based sandwich case? (Like the ZS-A4M, K39 or Velka 3) Or basically if the front half was sawn off?

I've been following this case and I am finding the use of a bifurcated riser fascinating. No has tried that yet in the smaller sandwich cases.

Reactions: KSliger

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
SM580 v2 -- your input is needed!

I need everyone feedback on the SM580 v1 - only what you didn't like and think could be improved!

Will be changing the SM580 to be 14mm wider, this allows almost any 280mm radiator I can find on the market. 8mm of this will be to the CPU side so that there is a total of 63mm height for CPU pump block, GPU side will 6mm more for additional airflow.

Will be changing the handle mount / radiator mount bracket to be reversible so there isn't a correct direction to install it, had a few complaints of it being installed backwards and having to rebuild the system to get the handle to mount.

Adding one more screw to the PSU mount bracket in the front of the case so that it doesn't wiggle as much. Might remove one of the screws that attaches PSU mount bracket to the middle spine.

I am also removing the 2x rear plastic caps & 1" round holes for custom loops as I have not seen a single person use them.
I agree with of your potential revisions to the top bracket, and PSU bracket mounting. Those would definitely improve quality and also build experience. Personally I don’t think the size need to increase, as I use the X62 280mm AIO. However, if the goal of the SM580 is to accommodate any 280 AIO, width increase makes sense. Do you have any thoughts to increase height to accommodate the handful of builds out there with double radiators + custom loops?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I’ve been considering putting a tempered glass on the outside of my cpu side panel. I’m thinking to order a black side panel, cut a large opening, and 3M tape the TG to the outside of the frame. What do you guys think? Would the rigid TG make the side panel super difficult to remove?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I know this may be slightly off topic, but have you ever considering doing an itx card + flex psu based sandwich case? (Like the ZS-A4M, K39 or Velka 3) Or basically if the front half was sawn off?

I've been following this case and I am finding the use of a bifurcated riser fascinating. No has tried that yet in the smaller sandwich cases.

Problem is that it might cannibalize 550/560 sales, and FlexATX PSUs are pretty loud and rare. I'll put it up for consideration, might be a popular B2B product as those kinda of customers are always looking for the smallest possible case with no regard for noise.

being able to use a 120 aio on the bottom under the psu would be nice.

I would have to make the middle rib mount on screws to do this. Concern is of course that those screws could strip. I'll look into it.

I agree with of your potential revisions to the top bracket, and PSU bracket mounting. Those would definitely improve quality and also build experience. Personally I don’t think the size need to increase, as I use the X62 280mm AIO. However, if the goal of the SM580 is to accommodate any 280 AIO, width increase makes sense. Do you have any thoughts to increase height to accommodate the handful of builds out there with double radiators + custom loops?

Making the middle spin removable would be huge for 2x 280mm setups, although you'd only be able to use two fans like thoughtfix did in his 570.

I cannot increase height as any change to height or depth would make the SM570 and SM580 have different side panels and that sounds like an inventory nightmare. Making it wider only change the parts specific to the SM580; top, front, chassis frame.

I’ve been considering putting a tempered glass on the outside of my cpu side panel. I’m thinking to order a black side panel, cut a large opening, and 3M tape the TG to the outside of the frame. What do you guys think? Would the rigid TG make the side panel super difficult to remove?

This would work fine, I have seen people do it on the Cerberus and Cerberus X. The black 3M VHB with red backing is what I would recommend for sticking to powder coat, not sure what the specific PN is but it is the only one that sticks to textured powder coat.

I can't say I have any real issues with the case, though I think just a few millimeters more space for PSU height would allow for better SFX-L clearance/compatibility, and I would really love a tempered glass side panel option.

I would be willing to pay a premium for tempered glass; I haven't had issues with scratching the acrylic (yet), but it's already quickly showing dust (I know, not a big issue) and I would feel much more comfortable with a glass option (won't develop microscratches/swirls when wiping down), preferably with a light "smoked" tint that would still showcase components and lighting.

I know the existing connectors used for the panel might make it problematic to use a solid tempered glass panel - and all sorts of other potential issues, I'm sure - but I think it would be worth the cost as a buyer.

As much as I wish I could do TG the price is insane to support it, we had companies quote us ~$50 a window panel at the cheapest - that does not include any mark up, warranty, mounting mechanisms, etc. Basically would take the case from ~$270 to $400+ for TG.

Makes you realize why Circle Pro is so expensive.

I will see what I can wiggle around on the PSU mount to give a bit better support for SFX-L.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
This would work fine, I have seen people do it on the Cerberus and Cerberus X. The black 3M VHB with red backing is what I would recommend for sticking to powder coat, not sure what the specific PN is but it is the only one that sticks to textured powder coat.

Thanks for confirming! I have some of the VHB tape from when I did something similar on the NCase M1, so I'll use that. Sounds like the TG+ metal side panel will still be removable on the SM580, if it's worked for Cerberus X...

As much as I wish I could do TG the price is insane to support it, we had companies quote us ~$50 a window panel at the cheapest - that does not include any mark up, warranty, mounting mechanisms, etc. Basically would take the case from ~$270 to $400+ for TG.

Here is the invoice from my custom cut tempered glass project for my NCase M1 from May 2017:

US glass shop in WA:
Type: Tempered Glass
Shape: Square/Rectangle
Thickness: 1/8"
Tint: Light Gray
Edgework: Flat Polish All Edges (a,b,c,d)

Width: 12 7/8"
Height: 9 1/2"

$47.60 shipped

The shipping was stupid expensive, but yeah, I can see how a 2018-2019 cost can be around $50 for you.

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
Hey gang, after days (literally spent the whole day) thinking, evaluating, and pulling my hair out on my next moves, I decided that I should suck up the extra $200 and abandon my Sentry case to switch to an SM550 case.

Now, what do you all think? Is this a wise decision? My reasoning is that the SM550 though cost an extra $200 would have the thermal capability and space to support better graphics card. It also helps with future upgradability compared to the Sentry.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT. Do you think it will fit? Height and length wise, it fits, but the width is 46.5mm while the SM550's max width is 50mm. Just scared it will be too close to the sides so it will be too loud.