Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
First of all, apologies if this has been asked or if the info is otherwise available in pics I might have missed.

For owners of any of these cases with windowed side panels, do you have any concerns with PSU ventilation? By my estimation there's barely a centimeter, if that, between the PSU and the side panel?

Could someone give a rough estimate of how much space there is between the two?
I'd say a centimeter, to a centimeter and a half is about right. Don't really need much more for the PSU fan.

Reactions: Wolt87

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
I saw how you managed to mount your radiators. I'm curious to see how someone with the 280mm radiators get mounted. It doesnt seem that there is a way to removed the mounting bracket. Not an issue for me since I'm only mounting a 240mm up there anyway
Thank god, thought it was just me ... but that is a bit of an oversight in terms of case build, right ?

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
cant you lay the case on the side and put it in? so youre not having to hold up. rather you just lean it into place
But then the screws fall out of the rails. I was only able to hold them there through gravity and their own weight, until I could place the radiator whole beneath it, and the screw driver above it. felt like mission impossible x8 screws.

Reactions: Rmorrison

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Question for anyone with the 580/570- I've got the Gigabyte X570-I board and have an M.2 drive to fit on the back of the motherboard. The motherboard comes with a little thermal pad which the manual recommends you stick on your drive but I'm wondering how useful that will be in a sandwhich style layout like the 570/580?

Without a heatsink on top of the thermal pad, will it really do anything? I always thought thermal pads needed something else like a heatsink to dissipate the heat to- or maybe Gigabyte was thinking the thermal pad on the back M.2 would be butting up against the metal of the case itself? I was thinking of maybe getting a little heatsink like this EKWB one but I might just wait and see how temps are first once I get the case and get building.
Check my messages, I linked to an album of my SM580 build. there is plenty of room to spare for the back M.2 drive, AND to put low profile aluminium heatsinks on it.

Reactions: Jibbajabbawockers

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
curious, anyone else get the unpainted option? I was going to get a custom color but it was available on day 1 of orders so i decide I'll do it myself. gonna go pick up some cans of paint and primer right now.

Reactions: TheHig

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Thank god, thought it was just me ... but that is a bit of an oversight in terms of case build, right ?

I was looking through you album (great documentation of your build, by the way), and I was wondering what these screws do? Are they removable? Looks like they may be the same ones that I see in the teaser image.

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
I was looking through you album (great documentation of your build, by the way), and I was wondering what these screws do? Are they removable? Looks like they may be the same ones that I see in the teaser image.
Took those out and ... nothing. They literally don't seem to "hold" anything together. Maybe they are left over from a previous design build ??

I totally expected those four to be the key to separating the top and bottom part of the top panel, but they released nothing.

If I'm wrong, I would gladly ask someone to correct me.

wkarma

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019

They line up with screws in the frame you attach the radiator too. Holds it in.

The issue is with the front ballstud receiver for the side panels (if you are talking about the top radiator fitment issue, not sure if I missed a different discussion here.

As for quakecon, the expo part (with the booths) actually starts tomorrow.

HyGRADE_HyDRO

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2019
They line up with screws in the frame you attach the radiator too. Holds it in.

The issue is with the front ballstud receiver for the side panels (if you are talking about the top radiator fitment issue, not sure if I missed a different discussion here.

As for quakecon, the expo part (with the booths) actually starts tomorrow.

Is this the ball stud you are referring to? but on the top side?

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Is this the ball stud you are referring to? but on the top side?
That's just the ball stud found on the side panels, that push into holes to hold the panel onto the case (locked into place in this picture).

They are way lower than the radiator and doubt they would interfere with anything (pic).

Last edited:

Reebzy

Efficiency Noob
Jul 21, 2019
Check my messages, I linked to an album of my SM580 build. there is plenty of room to spare for the back M.2 drive, AND to put low profile aluminium heatsinks on it.

Are heatsinks recommended on M2 drives? I don’t have one. If I do need to get one, any recommendations?,

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Are heatsinks recommended on M2 drives? I don’t have one. If I do need to get one, any recommendations?,

It can depend. For PCIE 3.0 drives they generally aren't necessary. PCIE 3.0 M.2 NVME drives only really overheat during long, sustained reads/writes. So if you're copying a terabyte of files to the drive, for example, you can probably expect some thermal throttling. For gaming, assuming your pc will be a gaming build, you don't have much to worry. Gaming doesn't do enough sustained reads to cause thermal issues.

PCIE 4.0 may be a different story though. They're too new for me to know for sure how hot they get, but they have roughly double the data rate of PCIE 3.0 so I would assume they probably getter hotter faster.

LSDemise

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2019
curious, anyone else get the unpainted option? I was going to get a custom color but it was available on day 1 of orders so i decide I'll do it myself. gonna go pick up some cans of paint and primer right now.
I got unpainted but I did go through with getting them to paint it for me. Worried I’d fuck it up lol. Shipped them some paint from prismatic. Just got my tracking number as well!

wkarma

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
If you were able to file away some of the ball joint socket and the fit the rad. Would the side panels be able to close? Or would the ball joint hit the rad?
I discussed that with KSliger when this first came up and we came to the conclusion that the side panel probably wouldn't hold tight if you started filing away at the ballstud. Since it's riveted in, that wasn't really a chance I wanted to take.