Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@ermac318 Yea I know. I have multiples of everything haha. It's just the point. With small cases like the 550/60, all the space matters.
I have the Gigabyte board. Installed it today. It's working a bit better than my Strix x470 was. The memory worked at it's rated speed and temp's are a bit better. So far the max temp was 69c. I am fine with that for a 8 core cpu. Sticking with the base bios for now as it seems to at least be working. It is louder than it was in the sm560 but I have yet to fiddle with the case fan profiles much yet.

Reactions: Bioforce

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
@ermac318 Yea I know. I have multiples of everything haha. It's just the point. With small cases like the 550/60, all the space matters.
I have the Gigabyte board. Installed it today. It's working a bit better than my Strix x470 was. The memory worked at it's rated speed and temp's are a bit better. So far the max temp was 69c. I am fine with that for a 8 core cpu. Sticking with the base bios for now as it seems to at least be working. It is louder than it was in the sm560 but I have yet to fiddle with the case fan profiles much yet.
Interesting. Are voltages different on the Gigabyte board??

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Out of curiosity, does literally ANY modern hardware exist that could take advantage of that PS/2 port on the Asrock board? If I did ultimately go with that board I'd like to be able to make use of that port just to help alleviate the lack of USB ports.

Not sure about modern, but I definitely appreciate - though I don't require, and haven't had it on most of my newer builds - PS/2 because I do have some vintage keyboards that I use/test that are PS/2 (keyboard I'm typing on now, in fact, though I am moving over the switches to a new custom keyboard build). I'm sure they included the port for all the users and businesses that still use old peripherals. You can use PS/2 to USB converters, but when you are already using a AT/XT or other interface to PS/2 it becomes a chain of converters... which I guess still works, but cleaner to have the PS/2 port, and native PS/2 is better, anyway.

Also, PS/2 still comes in handy when USB devices won't work/aren't detected before booting into the OS. Less of an issue now, but you still do see cases where PS/2 will work when USB won't. I've also heard that PS/2 is lower latency and better for gaming, but I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes anymore except for maybe competitive gaming (some youtube videos on this, but can't remember the results).

I will agree that the lack of USB ports can be annoying, because then you end up having to swap out devices or use a USB hub.

Last edited:

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Have any SM570/580s shipped yet? The anticipation is killing me.
I might be getting ahead of myself, but I'm guessing nothing went out today.

I was refreshing that page every 30 seconds the day the case was released, and insta-bought. I even sent a PM earlier than when the cases went live, when Sliger was here saying to PM if we really insisted on getting an "earlier than release" spot in line.

Haven't heard a thing, so I can only assume the worst, lol.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Not sure about modern, but I definitely appreciate - though I don't require, and haven't had it on most of my newer builds - PS/2 because I do have some vintage keyboards that I use/test that are PS/2 (keyboard I'm typing on now, in fact, though I am moving over the switches to a new custom keyboard build). I'm sure they included the port for all the users and businesses that still use old peripherals. You can use PS/2 to USB converters, but when you are already using a AT/XT or other interface to PS/2 it becomes a chain of converters... which I guess still works, but cleaner to have the PS/2 port, and native PS/2 is better, anyway.

Also, PS/2 still comes in handy when USB devices won't work/aren't detected before booting into the OS. Less of an issue now, but you still do see cases where PS/2 will work when USB won't. I've also heard that PS/2 is lower latency and better for gaming, but I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes anymore except for maybe competitive gaming (some youtube videos on this, but can't remember the results).

I will agree that the lack of USB ports can be annoying, because then you end up having to swap out devices or use a USB hub.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to complain about its inclusion. I know a lot of businesses actually disable USB on their machines in order to prevent any malicious use of USB devices and thus require PS/2 ports. The reason I ask is because I'm looking to get a new mouse and keyboard with the new build and I was honestly curious if any modern hardware supported it. As it turns out, Rosewill makes some mechanical keyboards with PS/2 cables, but they are all typing/business oriented.

As far as the gaming functionality of PS/2, you're pretty much correct in your assumption that it doesn't really make a difference anymore. The benefit of PS/2 over USB is that it has effectively 0 latency, or at least as close to 0 as you can possibly get. Rather than waiting for the CPU to poll the keyboard/mouse like a USB port would, the PS/2 format performs an "interrupt" and forces the CPU to process the input with maximum priority regardless of whether the CPU wanted to or not. This means you will never have as fast of an input with USB as you will with PS/2, since USB has to wait for the CPU to schedule the input. That used to matter a lot back in the days when USB 1.0 latency could potentially be dozens of milliseconds. These days though modern keyboards and mice mostly have 1MS of latency which even many pro gamers will agree is effectively imperceptible.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I do not think any cases shipped today, I am still out sick. Will get back to shop tomorrow (when no one is there so I don't get them sick) and get an update.

Sorry for the delay I was optimistic but too many small problems we had to sort out + out sick.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I do not think any cases shipped today, I am still out sick. Will get back to shop tomorrow (when no one is there so I don't get them sick) and get an update.

Sorry for the delay I was optimistic but too many small problems we had to sort out + out sick.

A late launch is better than a bad launch. Get well soon.

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019

Don't sweat it. Make sure you're better before overworking yourself.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
This is off-topic from the thread, but hopefully helpful in general. There are services out there that will vacuum and clean out all of the air vents in your house, which can greatly reduce the amount of dust and particulates throughout your home. Changing your air filter for a HEPA rated one can also help a lot too.

This isn't really applicable for "average" homes here in the Philippines.

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
Decided Im probably just going to get an i5-9600k since i cant find a good z270 itx mobo and dont really want to deal w/ issues w/ the new ryzen cpus.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Decided Im probably just going to get an i5-9600k since i cant find a good z270 itx mobo and dont really want to deal w/ issues w/ the new ryzen cpus.

For the most part the concerns about Ryzen 3000 are sounding worse than they are. All the reviewers still recommend them over anything Intel has on offer right now. The single biggest issue is just the voltages being weirdly high on X570 boards, which can be corrected with manual tuning. If you use an X470 or B450 board you avoid the issue all together and get a cheaper board. Given that the Ryzen 3600 performs better for $50 less, and the popular MSI B450i motherboard is only $128 compared to nearly $200 for a lot of Z390 boards, it may be worthwhile to reconsider. Obviously do whatever you're most comfortable with, but that's my recommendation.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the 9600k is 95 Watt TDP at base clock speeds while the 3600X is 65 Watt TDP at boost clock. Significantly less heat and a lower power bill.

Reactions: Nugget and Talyrius

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Speaking of the B450i, anybody think it would be a bad idea to run a 3900x on it in an SM580? I'm debating so hard about which motherboard to get and people are talking big praise about how the MSI B450i has the best VRM's of any B450 or X470 board. I won't be using a PCIE 4.0 SSD and PCIE 4.0 probably won't matter for GPU's for a couple more generations so that's not a big loss for me. If the VRM's can handle the 3900X I think it would be my preference just to not have to deal with those chipset fans.

I have a Newegg premier subscription, so I should be able to return it for free if it doesn't work out. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Especially if it happens to go on sale for Amazon's Prime Day on Monday/Tuesday or whatever Newegg will call it's competing sale.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
One of the issues also with Ryzen, their voltage doesn't work anything like on an Intel board. Lot of reviewers see the 1.5v being pulled and think it's going to explode. That is normal working order for precision boost. It does not stay sitting at 1.5v.
On to another matter that was being talked about a few days ago.
PSU fan mounting direction in these Sliger cases.

Until yesterday, I have paid the PSU fan no mind. That being said, I decided to feel the PSU yesterday and noticed the outside casing was extremely hot.
Same thing today. I think the fan facing the gpu is the culprit and it's not breathing at all.
The psu shouldn't really even be warm to the touch. I have everything from the Corsair AX1500i, to some cheap crap and I have never
felt one as hot as my Corsair SF750 is.
I am gonna swap the orientation sometime soon and see how much difference that makes.

@Bioforce There are some reviews of the high end 3x series on some of the lower end motherboards and they didnt really have any problems. I dont have them handy because sometimes I just read that stuff at odd times.....haha.
It's probably not what I would do but it should be ok. You are always giving something up with the cheaper boards with lower quality vrm's. One being an increase in cpu temps.
Make sure you have good vrm cooling then. Not an AIO only. You will overheat if not.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Speaking of the B450i, anybody think it would be a bad idea to run a 3900x on it in an SM580? I'm debating so hard about which motherboard to get and people are talking big praise about how the MSI B450i has the best VRM's of any B450 or X470 board. I won't be using a PCIE 4.0 SSD and PCIE 4.0 probably won't matter for GPU's for a couple more generations so that's not a big loss for me. If the VRM's can handle the 3900X I think it would be my preference just to not have to deal with those chipset fans.

I have a Newegg premier subscription, so I should be able to return it for free if it doesn't work out. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Especially if it happens to go on sale for Amazon's Prime Day on Monday/Tuesday or whatever Newegg will call it's competing sale.
MSI is in stock on Amazon right now for <$130.

It's the best VRM for a non-X570 ITX board, but Optimum Tech saw it getting really really hot with an overclocked 2700X in this video. If you're using an AIO to cool the CPU, you need to make sure you have sufficient airflow across the VRM, so I would recommend blowing cold air into the chassis and then out the AIO, which may negatively impact CPU temps but will positively affect VRM (and GPU) temps.

If I didn't want 10GbE that's what I would buy. The ASRock B450 board supports PCIe Bifurcation and the ASRock X570 will supposedly have TB3.

Last edited:

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I don't believe that msi board has better vrm's than the current and upcoming x570 itx boards.
I haven't seen any of them reach higher than 52c on the Gigabyte x570 itx.
As far as the chipset fan, I don't hear it and it has reached up to 8k rpm. The bios now supports tuning the chipset fan as well now.

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
For the most part the concerns about Ryzen 3000 are sounding worse than they are. All the reviewers still recommend them over anything Intel has on offer right now. The single biggest issue is just the voltages being weirdly high on X570 boards, which can be corrected with manual tuning. If you use an X470 or B450 board you avoid the issue all together and get a cheaper board. Given that the Ryzen 3600 performs better for $50 less, and the popular MSI B450i motherboard is only $128 compared to nearly $200 for a lot of Z390 boards, it may be worthwhile to reconsider. Obviously do whatever you're most comfortable with, but that's my recommendation.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the 9600k is 95 Watt TDP at base clock speeds while the 3600X is 65 Watt TDP at boost clock. Significantly less heat and a lower power bill.
It is a lower tdp but apparently it's harder to cool according to people that have AIOs on them they are running 40 C at idle and 70s plus on gaming loads which is all I really do on my PC.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I don't believe that msi board has better vrm's than the current and upcoming x570 itx boards.
I haven't seen any of them reach higher than 52c on the Gigabyte x570 itx.
As far as the chipset fan, I don't hear it and it has reached up to 8k rpm. The bios now supports tuning the chipset fan as well now.

That's good to hear. I think ultimately I'll wait for the reviews on the Asrock X570 ITX board and if they are poor I'll grab the Gigabyte X570 board.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@Polski03 I def won't tell you what cpu to get but the 9600k will run slightly warm as well.
I have one in another machine.
You are going to get a good gaming cpu either way.
That being said, 6 core cpu's are starting to feel it in some games. Far Cry 5 for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bioforce

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
@Polski03 I def won't tell you what cpu to get but the 9600k will run slightly warm as well.
I have one in another machine.
You are going to get a good gaming cpu either way.
That being said, 6 core cpu's are starting to feel it in some games. Far Cry 5 for example.
I hear you. I dont think it'll matter much since I play in 4k anyway.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
It is a lower tdp but apparently it's harder to cool according to people that have AIOs on them they are running 40 C at idle and 70s plus on gaming loads which is all I really do on my PC.

From what I understand, and WSGroves touched on this earlier, that is intentional at stock settings. The chips recognize that they have extra headroom and automatically push the voltages stupid high to take advantage of it. If those temperatures are a bother though, you can manually set your voltages lower to get better temps.