Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
My wife, because she is spontaneous and cool, saw the gigabyte x570 itx sitting on my screen at different intervals and decided to buy it. I was looking it over and it does only have 2 fan headers usable that I can see. It does have 3 but the stupid chipset fan uses one of them. I'll test it at some point.

Just got mine in. I actually thought it was just one before ordering, but you are right, two headers. Planning on using splitters for case fans.

Given that Buildzoid has stated the Gigabyte board appears to be the clear winner between the 3 announced ITX boards, I think I'm gonna roll with it despite the lack of fan headers. My AIO pump only runs at one speed anyway so I think I'll just connect it straight to the PSU with a SATA power to 4-pin fan adapter.

Are the other ITX boards out yet? My preference was for the ASRock for the thunderbolt 3 support, but saw no mention of it anywhere at launch.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Are the other ITX boards out yet? My preference was for the ASRock for the thunderbolt 3 support, but saw no mention of it anywhere at launch.
I don't think there has been any indication of when the ASRock board might come out. The Asus ROG Strix X570-I is rumored to come out sometime this month- I'v seen somebody posting on Reddit that maybe tomorrow on 7/12 or sometime next week. And the Asus mini-DTX Impact is supposed to be sometime next month in August but no specifics beyond it being after the Strix comes out.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Given that Buildzoid has stated the Gigabyte board appears to be the clear winner between the 3 announced ITX boards, I think I'm gonna roll with it despite the lack of fan headers. My AIO pump only runs at one speed anyway so I think I'll just connect it straight to the PSU with a SATA power to 4-pin fan adapter.
Citation needed? He stated the Gigabyte board would do higher current with its VRM than the Asus by not by any amount that matters, and I haven't seen him comment on the AsRock board at all.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Citation needed? He stated the Gigabyte board would do higher current with its VRM than the Asus by not by any amount that matters, and I haven't seen him comment on the AsRock board at all.

"The Gigabyte one is just going to be better than this." - Buildzoid in reference to the X570 Strix-I

As for the Asrock board I don't recall where he made his comments. I may have been mixing him up with Optimum Tech's video in which he flat out recommends a different board.

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
optimum tech really doesnt like the asrock IO so he says to get the strix. I'm really curious to find out how the asrock stacks up against the other two.

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Some pages back in this thread I asked KSliger what the best fan setup for a windowed SM580 (plus a 3.5inch HDD on one of the bottom fan slots) and he was thinking it may be best to run the fans on the top AIO drawing cool air in from outside and the bottom 140mm fan as exhaust- basically getting cool outside air in at the top and out the bottom.

I'm going to have a 3700X and a 2080Ti in the 580, so I guess we'll so how that goes. I'm thinking it may be a bit toasty and maybe the vented panels may be in my future but we'll see I guess.
What about a case with both windowed panels, and both the GPU and CPU being cooled with 120mm AIO ?

I feel like the CPU would never generate as much heat as the GPU, so could have a very similar configuration as in my full tower: CPU 120mm on top + another fan as intake, and GPU 120mm as exhaust.

Or both 120 on top as exhaust, with a fan at the bottom as intake ?

Also, can someone sum up the hole VRM issue ? I've definitely heard this being an issue with the GPU, but never about the mobo. Is this an issue specific to itx boards, or have I missed a very important convo at some point during my initial build ?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
optimum tech really doesnt like the asrock IO so he says to get the strix. I'm really curious to find out how the asrock stacks up against the other two.

The single most concerning thing about the Asrock board is the fact that it's VRM's and the heatsink are under the I/O shroud. It looks like it's going to be a cooling disaster.

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
The single most concerning thing about the Asrock board is the fact that it's VRM's and the heatsink are under the I/O shroud. It looks like it's going to be a cooling disaster.
I hope their absence from the spotlight means theyre improving their board but I doubt it. I might end up going for the intel asrock board tbh. That board seems to be crafted amazingly well and its only $150 now.

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
What about a case with both windowed panels, and both the GPU and CPU being cooled with 120mm AIO ?

I feel like the CPU would never generate as much heat as the GPU, so could have a very similar configuration as in my full tower: CPU 120mm on top + another fan as intake, and GPU 120mm as exhaust.

Or both 120 on top as exhaust, with a fan at the bottom as intake ?

Also, can someone sum up the hole VRM issue ? I've definitely heard this being an issue with the GPU, but never about the mobo. Is this an issue specific to itx boards, or have I missed a very important convo at some point during my initial build ?
I went with both vented panels to ensure better air flow. I'll be trying out all exhaust first and see what that does. Top or bottom fans set to intake would have an effect on the gpu fans. Maybe intake on the gpu and exhaust on the top and bottom? the only thing is that the intake from the gpu could be pulling in hot air from the bottom exhaust. cant wait to try out some tests. But i have to decide on parts first haha

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
"The Gigabyte one is just going to be better than this." - Buildzoid in reference to the X570 Strix-I
I'm pretty sure he said that based on the assumption that the chipset had no active cooling. Well, it does and someone pointed that out to him in the comment section.
In his video, he says “the VRM on this board is supposedly a 6+2 phase, although, I do count ten chokes in total, meaning that it could be a doubled 4+2.” Everyone else that has covered this board has said that it has an 8+2 phase VRM. I wonder, where'd the idea that it was supposed to be a 6+2 phase VRM originate from?

Also, I don't understand how he came to the conclusion that the VRM cooling would be any worse on the ASRock board than it'd be on the one from Asus. Both boards' VRM and chipset heatsinks are connected via heatpipe with active cooling. If anything, the ASRock board should perform better as it appears its heatsinks have more mass to absorb heat—and more surface area in which to radiate that heat.

Regarding I/O, yes, having so few USB ports is a bit of a letdown, for sure. However, let's not forget what you gain—Thunderbolt 3! Also, it should be kept in mind that these boards were early tradeshow samples and don't necessarily represent the final product. Let's wait until they're released before we come to any conclusions. Changes can and do happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmorrison

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm pretty sure he said that based on the assumption that the chipset had no active cooling. Well, it does and someone pointed that out to him in the comment section.

In his video, he says “the VRM on this board is supposedly a 6+2 phase, although, I do count ten chokes in total, meaning that it could be a doubled 4+2.” Everyone else that has covered this board has said that it has an 8+2 phase VRM. I wonder, where'd the idea that it was supposed to be a 6+2 phase VRM originate from?

Also, I don't understand how he came to the conclusion that the VRM cooling would be any worse on the ASRock board than it'd be on the one from Asus. Both boards' VRM and chipset heatsinks are connected via heatpipe with active cooling. If anything, the ASRock board should perform better as it appears its heatsinks have more mass to absorb heat—and more surface area in which to radiate that heat.

Regarding I/O, yes, having so few USB ports is a bit of a letdown, for sure. However, let's not forget what you gain—Thunderbolt 3! Also, it should be kept in mind that these boards were early tradeshow samples and don't necessarily represent the final product. Let's wait until they're released before we come to any conclusions. Changes can and do happen.
The bottom line is that no one has seen reviews of the ASUS or the ASRock yet, so I think it's a bit early to declare a winner overall. However, certainly in terms of launching on time and availability, Gigabyte wins that one :)

Reactions: Talyrius

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@Talyrius This is straight from a gigabyte rep:
Column F

As for the asrock itx. Only 1 m.2 slot. Not an option for me. Seems every board is missing at least something. Gigabyte only 2 fan headers. Asrock one m.2 slot. etc.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Out of curiosity, does literally ANY modern hardware exist that could take advantage of that PS/2 port on the Asrock board? If I did ultimately go with that board I'd like to be able to make use of that port just to help alleviate the lack of USB ports.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
@Talyrius
As for the asrock itx. Only 1 m.2 slot. Not an option for me. Seems every board is missing at least something. Gigabyte only 2 fan headers. Asrock one m.2 slot. etc.
Getting extra fan headers is certainly the easiest fix. You can buy an external PWM fan hub with SATA power and USB control for <$50. If that's your only hangup on the Gigabyte board just go for it.