Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

performancecomputer

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2019
www.performance-computer.com
I know it. But may be there is 150 and 153 will fit too. If case is 160 mm wide, it will be strange if 153 not fit.

We are planning a custom loop for the SM580 and are trying to decide between the slim 280mm radiators.

Here is what we are comparing. Sliger Designs confirmed that the GTS280 will not fit unfortunately. We don't have much experience with slim 280mm rads. What does the community recommend?

Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS280 (312*153*29.7), 16FPI
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis LS280 (312*140*29.7), 16FPI
Magicool MC-RADI280 (323*145*29), 16mm fan spacing, 14FPI
Koolance HX-CU1402V (316*140*29.2), 20mm fan spacing, 30FPI
AlphaCool NexXxoS ST30 280 (319*144*30), 16FPI
Swiftech MCR240-QP (315.6*145.6*30.6), 12FPI

Reactions: JaPeMo

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
We are planning a custom loop for the SM580 and are trying to decide between the slim 280mm radiators.

Here is what we are comparing. Sliger Designs confirmed that the GTS280 will not fit unfortunately. We don't have much experience with slim 280mm rads. What does the community recommend?

Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS280 (312*153*29.7), 16FPI
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis LS280 (312*140*29.7), 16FPI
Magicool MC-RADI280 (323*145*29), 16mm fan spacing, 14FPI
Koolance HX-CU1402V (316*140*29.2), 20mm fan spacing, 30FPI
AlphaCool NexXxoS ST30 280 (319*144*30), 16FPI
Swiftech MCR240-QP (315.6*145.6*30.6), 12FPI
AlphaCool's new V2 radiators might be better than the one ExtremeRigs tested back in 2016, but at that time the Koolance was the best slim rad after the HWLabs GTS. But AlphaCool's wasn't that bad and supposedly the V2s include a lot of improvements, including countersunk plugs.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
So copyright and trademark law is fun.

While unusual, there are definitely several things that one wouldn't think as trademarkable, such as colors, patterns, and fonts, but there are definitely examples of places where companies have sued over these things and have won.

Color:
DEERE & CO. v. FIMCO INC. - recent dual shades lawsuit
Qualitex Co. v. Jacobson Products Co. - US Supreme Court rules a single color can be trademarked

Patterns:
Burberry Limited (UK) et al v. Target Corporation et al - Targets use of a specific plaid pattern violated trademark

Fonts:
Adobe Systems, Inc. v. Southern Software, Inc. - Even after changing them, by copying Adobe's fonts, they violated trademark

And obligatory I am not a lawyer.

Reactions: Shinken1

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I just don't wanna get sued by Noctua. Could reasonable do one color, but not both.

The Noctua color idea only came up with the mention of you potentially offering custom panel colors in the future, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you really are going to open up custom color options, I would just leave it at that... and if people want Noctua colors, it isn't like you are selling a "Noctua Edition" case. It's just a custom color a customer requested. I do apologize if I stirred up something that could potentially cause issues for you, though. I didn't expect 5 mins in Illustrator and Photoshop to get as much traction as it did, haha.

performancecomputer

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2019
www.performance-computer.com
AlphaCool's new V2 radiators might be better than the one ExtremeRigs tested back in 2016, but at that time the Koolance was the best slim rad after the HWLabs GTS. But AlphaCool's wasn't that bad and supposedly the V2s include a lot of improvements, including countersunk plugs.

I'll look at the AlphaCool V2. I would go with the Koolance but at 30FPI won't the fans need to be running fast to push enough air through it?

LSDemise

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2019
Heh I come back to 3 pages of Noctua color conversation and I saw @Brude27 mock-up on reddit! Glad you guys are as excited about colors as I am, but personally I hate their color scheme. I think the brand recognition is genius, but it’s at the detriment to every build out there imo.

I’m semi interested in the prismatic high gloss finishes because that’s something I don’t think I’ve seen. Might be cool on the front panel. Is anything on the prismatic site fair game?

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
I’m semi interested in the prismatic high gloss finishes because that’s something I don’t think I’ve seen. Might be cool on the front panel. Is anything on the prismatic site fair game?
Some of the metallic finishes would be pretty nice looking on the SM580, IMO. I guess as far as custom colors go, we'll know more once they roll out the preorder page for the SM570/580, but would the "unpainted" option and potentially doing a custom color extend to other cases like the SM550/60 and Cerberus as well or is it just starting out with the 570/80?

butter_milch

Chassis Packer
Jun 20, 2019
Noctua got back to me again, this time in regards to their stand on other brands making use of their iconic colour scheme.

1. Their brown/beige colour scheme is trademarked in order to prevent others from using them to sell cheap products or knock-offs
2. As long as the products offered aren't part of Noctua's current or future line-up (fans, coolers, etc.) they see no problem with others using the colour scheme
3. They would be open to cooperating with Sliger on projects which would result in official endorsement on a product-by-product basis

So from what I understand it would be no problem to fulfill custom orders requesting something similar to what @Brude27 envisioned. But how cool would it be to have an official special edition Noctua case!?

@KSliger, if you're interested or would like to get additional confirmation from Noctua it would probably be best to contact them yourself :)

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@butter_milch it's cool that you went through the trouble of contacting Noctura about this.
I won't speak for others, but it's possible that maybe some parties were not interested in this coming to the attention of Noctura.
Just a thought.

JaPeMo

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
I'll look at the AlphaCool V2. I would go with the Koolance but at 30FPI won't the fans need to be running fast to push enough air through it?

Hi
In my first mod I installed push/pull fans in 420 and 280 of 30 fpi Koolance radiators. In order for the air to pass through the radiators, fans need a lot of pressure due to the restriction and due to this, more noise is produced. Yes, the refrigeration is incredible, but the noise they produce is much more remarkable.
Regards!!!

butter_milch

Chassis Packer
Jun 20, 2019
@butter_milch it's cool that you went through the trouble of contacting Noctura about this.
I won't speak for others, but it's possible that maybe some parties were not interested in this coming to the attention of Noctura.
Just a thought.

I totally get where you're coming from. I didn't think much of it because @KSliger made it clear that he had no intention of doing anything that would upset Noctua.

Last edited:
Reactions: wsgroves

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Pictures / web page are running behind sorry guys. Thought we would have all the images done today (have to reshoot a bunch) but likely won't until Tuesday next week. Page is ready to upload as soon as the images are complete!

As far as the Noctua version I am emailing Noctua about it, will let you know! (I personally would love a Noctua colored case.)

thewave1408

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2019
Pictures / web page are running behind sorry guys. Thought we would have all the images done today (have to reshoot a bunch) but likely won't until Tuesday next week. Page is ready to upload as soon as the images are complete!

As far as the Noctua version I am emailing Noctua about it, will let you know! (I personally would love a Noctua colored case.)
Can you put orders up and just update the pictures next week?

Reactions: Talyrius

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Please, give final size of cases and rads compatibility if possible.

SM570
13.9L @ 357mm x 135mm x 287mm
Radiators up to 328mm x 130mm x 72mm (LxWxH) [height includes fan thickness]

SM580
15.9L @ 357mm x 155mm x 287mm
Radiators up to 328mm x 150mm x 72mm (LxWxH) [height includes fan thickness]

We will be reducing the cost of the bifurcation riser as well, from +$125 to +$79.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Can you put orders up and just update the pictures next week?

I feel like people might think I'm selling vaporware if I did this though? I can put it up if people are really pushing to get their place in line queued though.