Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
Not Sliger but that case already exists, it's called the NCase M1. ? Supports much taller CPU coolers and 2.5-slot GPUs.

I thought it was only 2 slots, since I remember reading cards like the bigger MSI Gaming Z's take essentially 2.5-3 slots and can measure up to 155mm in height.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@Secret-Misthios I have a 550 and 560. The 550 only fits the Strix with the fans and shroud off. It is indeed doable but you have to reign in the cards performance a little big. The 560 works great with the card in it's stock config. I don't hear the card in the 560 but the Strix is a very quiet card.

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
@wsgroves Perfect! I'm just debating if my space and needs lead me to buying an SM560 or an SM580. Even if the future leads me to a 2 slot gpu, its nice to have the space. I'm far more partial to air cooling, but there's no denying the 280mm rad compatability of the SM580 would allow a far more varied and stronger range of CPU than what the 55mm air cooler could handle on the SM560. And with only 11L to 16.5L between the two, its a tough choice indeed. I'm definitely going for a white color with vented sides for sure. They both look like [from pictures] and measurements] like something I could keep in the pc room and carry easily to the living room 4k tv often which is something I'd like to do.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
I was watching the conference last night and did a fist pump when they announced that the 3700x would be a 65w part. I finally placed my order for a 560 and lucked out on finding a C7 cu on Reddit. I'm so ready for this build and looking forward to swapping out my 1800x for a 3700x!

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
After all the rumors, I'm a touch disappointed with the 3900X. The initial rumor for the R9 12 core part was 5 GHz boost out of the box with a price tag much below $499. Also, the single thread performance gains over Intel are margin of error levels small.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Given that these cases require a riser for the GPU, will PCIE 4.0 GPU's require a new riser?
For clarity, I realize that bandwidth will be different between a riser rated for 3.0 and one rated for 4.0. What I'm asking is if it is REQUIRED, as in a pcie 4.0 GPU will not work at all on a 3.0 rated riser? Or, is the included riser already PCIE 4.0 compliant?

Last edited:
Reactions: renecop545

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I think that DIMM.2 module is taller than the allowed CPU cooler clearance...? Looks to be almost twice as tall as the rear I/O...
An M.2 card is 30mm wide, and the card itself looks to be Double the height of an m.2 card, although it seems like Asus has made at least 3 different versions of it.

Really a shame, the Impact board looked perfect if the DTX form factor would fit, which it should. Unless someone can come up with a right-angle adapter for the DIMM.2 board, you're totally locked out of using M.2 storage on this board in any sandwich-style case.

EDIT:
So watching the BitTech video this doesn't have 2.5Gb Ethernet like it's listed on the EdgeUp article at Asus's website, must be a mistake.
This is most definitely NOT the motherboard for the average ITX system maker. First, it won't work in any sandwich-style cases because of the height of the SO-DIMM.2 slot for M.2 storage (otherwise you have zero m.2 storage on the board), so this will only work in cases like the NCase M1, Cerberus, Streacom DA2, etc.
Second, look at the rear IO: there's a TON of space used on POST code LED, CMOS Reset and Safe mode switches, etc. This is a hardcore overclocking board, not for your average gamer. If you plan on doing sub-ambient cooling in your ITX case, then by all means, but I think for 99% of the SFFPC crowd the other ITX boards will be better fits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
What I'm asking is if it is REQUIRED, as in a pcie 4.0 GPU will not work at all on a 3.0 rated riser?
PCIe cards are almost always backwards compatible. If you are using a PCIe gen3 Riser, the card will negotiate at PCIe Gen3 (most likely). If you are lucky it might work at Gen4, but if you have instability you may need to go into the BIOS and specify Gen3 speeds manually. There will have to be lots of testing and trial & error before we figure out everything.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Pisses me off its no a standard itx board. Would of been day one buy for me.
As far as the rumors about the Ryzen 3, that is why you have to take them with a grain of salt. I never expected them to hit 5 ghz.
Are holding the 16 core back for now it seems.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Pisses me off its no a standard itx board. Would of been day one buy for me.
As far as the rumors about the Ryzen 3, that is why you have to take them with a grain of salt. I never expected them to hit 5 ghz.
Are holding the 16 core back for now it seems.

I don't find the idea unreasonable, especially at the TDP's that went along with the rumors at up to 135 Watts. I'm honestly hoping the 12 core 5 GHz chip is something they are just waiting to announce like with the 16 core parts. I feel like it's such a perfect match for the SM580 with it's 280mm radiator support that I desperately want it to be real lol.