Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Has anyone done any experimentation as to whether something like the Noctua NF A12x25 or the NF F12 would be superior in the SM550? I'm curious as to whether the small increase in static pressure of the F12 would be worth it over the all around general performance of the A12x25
I have 2x nf a12-25 in mine now. Before that were Arctic Bionix p120 white. Honestly, the Arctic fans are just about as good and as quiet for way way less.
I have ran both fan setups for quite a bit now and will probably switch back to the Arctic when I rebuild.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Has anyone done any experimentation as to whether something like the Noctua NF A12x25 or the NF F12 would be superior in the SM550? I'm curious as to whether the small increase in static pressure of the F12 would be worth it over the all around general performance of the A12x25
Noctua has stated that there's almost no scenario where the F12 is better.

@KSliger any updates on those watercooling pics/build guides/etc for the SM580?

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
So with vented panels being aluminun, the Demciflex filters won't work. What other options are there? I can't afford running a vented panel without filters. The dust buildup is really bad in our place.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Noctua has stated that there's almost no scenario where the F12 is better.

@KSliger any updates on those watercooling pics/build guides/etc for the SM580?

I'll have to do a test on the F12 vs A12 thing, the only fans that made the semi-passive mode really work were the 120mm fans I pulled off the Coolermaster 240mm radiator I have. Everything else was a lot hotter for same settings and RPMs.

A12s might just be better in general.

Working on the SM570 / SM580 test later this week, but with everything behind right now I don't have an ETA. Update you ASAP.

Thermal question for the sm580. Im thinking that bottom and gpu fans are exhaust as well as the top fans on the radiator. will the cpu/psu side need to have an intake fan for vrm cooling? Is there any aio that has a fan on the block?

This is really going to take some testing, no idea how you could get a fan in there. All the AIOs I know of that have a fan on them are way too tall, and with both side set to exhaust and a window panel you might wind up really straining the VRMs for airflow, probably better to go top exhaust.

Reactions: Rmorrison

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
This is really going to take some testing, no idea how you could get a fan in there. All the AIOs I know of that have a fan on them are way too tall, and with both side set to exhaust and a window panel you might wind up really straining the VRMs for airflow, probably better to go top exhaust.
I ordered both vented panels just to be sure i have proper airflow. I looked up that asus aio with a fan and its way too loud for my tastes. All sides at exhaust with passive flow on the cpu side should be good. at least i hope it should be good.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
I'll have to do a test on the F12 vs A12 thing, the only fans that made the semi-passive mode really work were the 120mm fans I pulled off the Coolermaster 240mm radiator I have. Everything else was a lot hotter for same settings and RPMs.

A12s might just be better in general.

Working on the SM570 / SM580 test later this week, but with everything behind right now I don't have an ETA. Update you ASAP.

Are you saying that if I go with a 240mm AIO on the CPU, I won't be able to use their stock fans because they are too thick? Which means I should buy two thinner 120mm fans?

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
The bios on the older boards like x470 seems in even worse shape than the 570 boards.
DRAM Voltage at the beginning of POST is always 1.200V which limits the max memory frequency. It's possible to work around by first booting with lower DRAM Frequency and higher voltage, then only increasing DRAM Frequency in steps without the board shutting down.
After failing memory overclocking you get stuck at C5 POST code which never seems to recover. The only way to get back is to clear CMOS.
As per elmor who created the thread on overclock.net. Guess we wait for updated bios.

I think its going to be interesting to keep anything higher than a 3700x cooled in the 560 with smaller cooler options. It definitely runs hotter than a 65 tdp 2600.
Mine has hit 73c not doing anything real stressful on the Cryorig C7 G with Noc fan.

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
The bios on the older boards like x470 seems in even worse shape than the 570 boards.
DRAM Voltage at the beginning of POST is always 1.200V which limits the max memory frequency. It's possible to work around by first booting with lower DRAM Frequency and higher voltage, then only increasing DRAM Frequency in steps without the board shutting down.
After failing memory overclocking you get stuck at C5 POST code which never seems to recover. The only way to get back is to clear CMOS.
As per elmor who created the thread on overclock.net. Guess we wait for updated bios.

I think its going to be interesting to keep anything higher than a 3700x cooled in the 560 with smaller cooler options. It definitely runs hotter than a 65 tdp 2600.
Mine has hit 73c not doing anything real stressful on the Cryorig C7 G with Noc fan.
Hmmmm that’s a bit concerning on the temp side of things. Using the balanced power plan?
I fully intend to game on my machine, but those temps don’t inspire confidence.

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
With the SM560, do you guys know if it's possible to run a 120mm AIO (via the adapter) and the 92mm AIO (via the adapter) at the same time? I wonder if anyone has tried and if tubing length looks ok. I'm only thinking of cooling a 65TDP CPU and an ITX GPU.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019

I just got my 3700x yesterday, on a x470-i and it's been nothing but trouble for me. I spent most of the day troubleshooting and eventually gave up and reinstalled Windows 10 to find that the issues I was having were still present. I'm back up and running now after a couple things:

1. Had to remove my 2nd M2 drive. Otherwise Windows would lock up after a couple minutes. I'm not sure if the issue was the 2nd M2 drive or that my GPU was running in 8x mode. I'm leaning towards the GPU since the OS would not recognize my 2nd monitor or let me run at a resolution above 1920x1080.
  2. I cannot get my RAM to run above 2400 MHz, no matter what I try. I've seen some discussion about this on the ROG forums so I'll probably just have to wait for a new BIOS.
  3. As soon as I plug in my USB sound card, my system locks up. It's a Sound Blaster Omni and worked just fine when I had my 1800x in the system.
  4. For some reason the 92mm Noctua fan on my 645LT will not spin up if plugged into the CPU header. Right now, I have it plugged into the Chassis header and my chassis fan plugged into the CPU header. I've adjusted the fan profiles accordingly and it seems to be working but it's not ideal for my OCD :)
  5. CPU us running HOT. I have a 645LT in my SM560. At idle, I'm jumping around between 57C-63C and hit 75 in gaming. At that point I can see my boost clocks maxing out at around 4.1 GHz before throttling kicks in.
ASUS has a lot of work to do on the x470 BIOS. Even with all the issues, I'm happy to have it up and running and hope that things get sorted out soon. The silver lining is that it all looks great in my SM560!

wkarma

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
I received my new parts yesterday and got everything up and running on the bench while awaiting a sweet gray SM580.

3900X
Gigabyte x570 I Aorus
Ripjaws V 3200 CL14 B-die
Corsair H115i
2x ADATA NVMEs

Everything fired right up and seems to be working fine. Got Win10 installed and BIOS updated. Temps under 12 core full load (CPU-Z Stress Test) are hanging out about 70C on my open desk with the H115i set to balanced..

LSDemise

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2019
I received my new parts yesterday and got everything up and running on the bench while awaiting a sweet gray SM580.

3900X
Gigabyte x570 I Aorus
Corsair H115i
2x ADATA NVMEs

Everything fired right up and seems to be working fine. Got Win10 installed and BIOS updated. Temps under 12 core full load (CPU-Z Stress Test) are hanging out about 70C on my open desk with the H115i set to balanced..

Sweet, I got the h115i as well. Nice to hear it can handle the 3900x. How’s that VRM fan?

tunafich

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 28, 2019
With the SM560, do you guys know if it's possible to run a 120mm AIO (via the adapter) and the 92mm AIO (via the adapter) at the same time? I wonder if anyone has tried and if tubing length looks ok. I'm only thinking of cooling a 65TDP CPU and an ITX GPU.
Only one rad will fit in the bottom of the case. Are you looking to mount the GPU rad on the side panel next to the card?

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
So with vented panels being aluminun, the Demciflex filters won't work. What other options are there? I can't afford running a vented panel without filters. The dust buildup is really bad in our place.

This is off-topic from the thread, but hopefully helpful in general. There are services out there that will vacuum and clean out all of the air vents in your house, which can greatly reduce the amount of dust and particulates throughout your home. Changing your air filter for a HEPA rated one can also help a lot too.

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
@tunafich I was hoping to mount a short ITX style GPU, I currently have the Vega 56 Nano which replaced my R9 Nano. So Sliger has the 92mm bracket that mounts on the bottom towards the rear, as well as a bracket 120mm bracket that mounts on the side of the case towards the front ... First I was wondering if the tubing from the 92mm clears the GPU bracket that sits above it, secondly if both the bottom bracket and side bracket can be installed. Maybe @KSliger did some testing.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019

3900X
Gigabyte x570 I Aorus
Corsair H115i
2x ADATA NVMEs

Yeah, I'd be curious to hear how the VRM fan is on that board. I know there were some early reports on Reddit of it just going at 100% all the time but that Gigabyte was working on a fix for it.

I'm kind of stuck between 3 choices I think now for my SM580 build with respect to the motherboards for the 3700X:

1. Buy the Asus X470-I with a cheap AM4 so that I can update the BIOS and then return the cheap CPU. Main downside hear are all the reports of people having issues with updating the BIOS on the X470 boards.
  2. Buy the Gigabyte X570-I. That board generally seems fine, even if I'd prefer some extra USB on the I/O and then the potential issues with the VRM fan being noisy.
  3. Wait and try to get the Asus X570-I. I/O wise this board seems perfect for my usage and I've always had Asus boards and had zero issues with them. Downside here is we have no solid idea when it'll come out, how much pricier it will be and whether it'll have BIOS or VRM fan issues or any other growing pains being a new X570 board.