Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

John Doe

Efficiency Noob
Jun 5, 2019
Hey guys, I'm waiting for a new Ryzen 9 3900X (105 TDP) and want to use it in SM560 case.
The question is what CPU cooling system will fit better ?

Currently I have the following list:
- Asetek 645LT
- AXP-100RH + Noctua a9x14-pwm fan
- Corsair H55 (but not sure that I can use it with current case)

Any comments are welcome.
Thanks!

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Hey guys, I'm waiting for a new Ryzen 9 3900X (105 TDP) and want to use it in SM560 case.
The question is what CPU cooling system will fit better ?

Currently I have the following list:
- Asetek 645LT
- AXP-100RH + Noctua a9x14-pwm fan
- Corsair H55 (but not sure that I can use it with current case)

Any comments are welcome.
Thanks!
H55 is a 120mm AIO and will not fit.

Asetek 645LT will get you best temps, but you end up with a very busy case. Depending on your motherboard and RAM you could look into the Black Ridge cooler, or the AXP full copper.

Reactions: John Doe

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
H55 is a 120mm AIO and will not fit.

Asetek 645LT will get you best temps, but you end up with a very busy case. Depending on your motherboard and RAM you could look into the Black Ridge cooler, or the AXP full copper.

Is the AXP Full Copper available in the United States? I could only find one website selling them and it's German.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
You are just going to have to keep an eye on things @John Doe . The sad fact is, when you start throwing in the high tdp cpu's, they aren't easy to cool.
Without going water, I downgraded my 2700x to a 2600 in my 560 because it is simply much easier to cool with the limited cooler height. I had to reign in its performance even on the BS3 cooler.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
@John Doe I'm also intending to run a 3900X (or possibly a hotter chip since they haven't announced the full lineup yet) and personally I'm going with the SM580 specifically for that reason. For a 105+ Watt TDP low profile coolers in a tiny case is playing with fire, possibly literally lol. In the SM580 though, I'll be running a BeQuiet! Silent Loop 280 which I expect will keep that CPU perfectly cool.

If you do intend to go with the 560 though, the Asetek cooler would give you the best temps, especially if you won't be using vented panels, but from what people have said it is a pain in the ass to deal with. The AXP Full Copper would be your second best bet for cooling while also being more affordable and easier to work with, but if you choose that route you may want to consider going with vented panels and running your case fans as exhaust. People have found that when air cooling in the 550/560 with vented panels and the case fans configured as exhaust temperatures were greatly improved over other setups.

Reactions: John Doe

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
@John Doe I'm also intending to run a 3900X (or possibly a hotter chip since they haven't announced the full lineup yet) and personally I'm going with the SM580 specifically for that reason. For a 105+ Watt TDP low profile coolers in a tiny case is playing with fire, possibly literally lol. In the SM580 though, I'll be running a BeQuiet! Silent Loop 280 which I expect will keep that CPU perfectly cool.

If you do intend to go with the 560 though, the Asetek cooler would give you the best temps, especially if you won't be using vented panels, but from what people have said it is a pain in the ass to deal with. The AXP Full Copper would be your second best bet for cooling while also being more affordable and easier to work with, but if you choose that route you may want to consider going with vented panels and running your case fans as exhaust. People have found that when air cooling in the 550/560 with vented panels and the case fans configured as exhaust temperatures were greatly improved over other setups.
Do you think the size increase is worth the options and compatibility it offers, at least to you? Being able to fit a 280 rad is pretty great. But it's also within 1L of the DA2 which is pretty big for an itx

John Doe

Efficiency Noob
Jun 5, 2019

Sounds reasonable. I was thinking for 560 because it is available to order, but I cannot find any mention about 580 on sliger website (probably it is not fully ready to ship/production -- but if someone have some kind of developer/preview variant - I can buy it, because 560 looks very nice and I think 580 should be nice too, just a bit bigger).

BTW: The AXP Full Copper is available on taobao.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Do you think the size increase is worth the options and compatibility it offers, at least to you? Being able to fit a 280 rad is pretty great. But it's also within 1L of the DA2 which is pretty big for an itx

The 580 isn't just smaller than the DA2, it also offers greater airflow (seemingly, at least. Obviously nobody has tested it yet), support for triple slot GPU's, room for not just a 280mm radiator, but an additional 120 as well, and window panels which to my knowledge the DA2 doesn't offer. In my mind the SM580 is a clear winner over the DA2. As for the 560, I like it a lot, but I have great concerns about attempting to run a 12 or 16 core Ryzen 3000 in it. As well, I'd be unable to use window panels since I simply can't ignore how significant the performance improvement from going vented with negative pressure in it is, but part of what I like about these cases is the window on both sides. Overall, to me, the 580 is the most reasonable choice. It's still a proper SFF case at <20L, but it really makes no sacrifices in compatibility, performance, or aesthetics.

When it comes down to it, I'm not quite as hardcore about shaving every possible millimeter off like most people on SFFN are. I'm mostly looking for a case that makes no sacrifices, but is still efficiently laid out. The SM580 nails that for me. The only other cases that really come close to that are the NCase M1 and the Sliger Cerberus, but both of those have minor nitpicks that put them in second place behind the 580. The Cerberus mostly due to its poor exhaust options and the Ncase due to its inability to have an AIO AND a window panel, at least not without significant case modding and sacrifices. Even then, the Ncase's support for large GPU's is limited and you have to forgo bottom fans if you want a triple slot card. The SM580 basically has the airflow and compatibility of cases that are 30-ish Liters, but in a 16.5L package.

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
The 580 isn't just smaller than the DA2, it also offers greater airflow (seemingly, at least. Obviously nobody has tested it yet), support for triple slot GPU's, room for not just a 280mm radiator, but an additional 120 as well, and window panels which to my knowledge the DA2 doesn't offer. In my mind the SM580 is a clear winner over the DA2. As for the 560, I like it a lot, but I have great concerns about attempting to run a 12 or 16 core Ryzen 3000 in it. As well, I'd be unable to use window panels since I simply can't ignore how significant the performance improvement from going vented with negative pressure in it is, but part of what I like about these cases is the window on both sides. Overall, to me, the 580 is the most reasonable choice. It's still a proper SFF case at <20L, but it really makes no sacrifices in compatibility, performance, or aesthetics.

When it comes down to it, I'm not quite as hardcore about shaving every possible millimeter off like most people on SFFN are. I'm mostly looking for a case that makes no sacrifices, but is still efficiently laid out. The SM580 nails that for me. The only other cases that really come close to that are the NCase M1 and the Sliger Cerberus, but both of those have minor nitpicks that put them in second place behind the 580. The Cerberus mostly due to its poor exhaust options and the Ncase due to its inability to have an AIO AND a window panel, at least not without significant case modding and sacrifices. Even then, the Ncase's support for large GPU's is limited and you have to forgo bottom fans if you want a triple slot card. The SM580 basically has the airflow and compatibility of cases that are 30-ish Liters, but in a 16.5L package.
Yea, that makes sense. If I remember from the Da2 reviews, it was the GPU that suffered thermally. If the radiator on the 580 is say, set to exhaust on the cpu/top vents, and if you have the bottom 140mm fans set to intake, wouldnt the GPU face similar issues. I'm assuming window panels here by the way. Or would it better,? This is just speculation obviously.

The bottom 140s should draw in enough cool air perhaps, assuming proper clearance from the floor. Its perhaps enough for the GPU to intake and exhaust and get exhausted off the top radiator with the heat off the CPU. In a perfect world anyways.

As for the 560 I think it could run a 12 core, maybe? But I'd make a fair bet the 16 core is a no due to cooling restrictions at boost clocks. Whereas on paper the 580 should handle either.

Reactions: Bioforce

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
All well said Bio. I will probably grab a 580, at least at some point. Biggest thing for me is silence. I like performance, dont get me wrong but I don't wanna hear it as it sits close to me on my desk and my ears are highly highly sensitive to certain fan pitches. For me, the less in there the better.
I dont think I could get it more silent than it currently is in my 560. It is inaudible at arms length from me at idle. I can hear the gpu slightly in a very demanding games like Metro but with headphones on, it doesn't penetrate them at all.
Kinda funny, The only other case I have used that has approached this level of quiet is the Cougar Conquer, which is totally open. I had a triple radiator on it that you never heard. Really under rated case.

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Yea, that makes sense. If I remember from the Da2 reviews, it was the GPU that suffered thermally. If the radiator on the 580 is say, set to exhaust on the cpu/top vents, and if you have the bottom 140mm fans set to intake, wouldnt the GPU face similar issues. I'm assuming window panels here by the way. Or would it better,? This is just speculation obviously.

The bottom 140s should draw in enough cool air perhaps, assuming proper clearance from the floor. Its perhaps enough for the GPU to intake and exhaust and get exhausted off the top radiator with the heat off the CPU. In a perfect world anyways.

As for the 560 I think it could run a 12 core, maybe? But I'd make a fair bet the 16 core is a no due to cooling restrictions at boost clocks. Whereas on paper the 580 should handle either.

I would agree. I think with vented panels and a negative pressure configuration, or just with an asetek AIO the 560 could reasonably cool the 12 core, but I would expect it to be pushing the fans pretty hard. I'm hoping that by going with the 580 and the Silent Loop 280, which in one review proved to be the quietest AIO out of all the AIO's the reviewer had tested, that I'll be able to potentially overclock the 12 core while still retaining relative silence.

I'm very much looking forward to the testing results from @KSliger . I'm expecting that the setup you mentioned will likely be the best way to go and is the intended configuration for the case. The reason the 550/560 faired so poorly with their two fans set to intake was because the passive exhaust wasn't removing hot air quickly enough. Basically the fans were blowing any hot air expelled downward by the GPU back up into it, and their were no exhaust fans above it to quickly remove the hot air. The GPU and case fans were basically fighting against each other, unlike a vented panel negative pressure setup where the fans are all working together pulling air through the GPU heatsink and then down and out of the case. The 580 however will have two intake fans delivering air to the GPU, and two exhaust fans to then suck the hot air up and out instead of it mostly sitting in a hot spot around the GPU. All conjecture though until Ksliger gets around to testing.

Reactions: Secret-Misthios

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
I would agree. I think with vented panels and a negative pressure configuration, or just with an asetek AIO the 560 could reasonably cool the 12 core, but I would expect it to be pushing the fans pretty hard. I'm hoping that by going with the 580 and the Silent Loop 280, which in one review proved to be the quietest AIO out of all the AIO's the reviewer had tested, that I'll be able to potentially overclock the 12 core while still retaining relative silence.

I'm very much looking forward to the testing results from @KSliger . I'm expecting that the setup you mentioned will likely be the best way to go and is the intended configuration for the case. The reason the 550/560 faired so poorly with their two fans set to intake was because the passive exhaust wasn't removing hot air quickly enough. Basically the fans were blowing any hot air expelled downward by the GPU back up into it, and their were no exhaust fans above it to quickly remove the hot air. The GPU and case fans were basically fighting against each other, unlike a vented panel negative pressure setup where the fans are all working together pulling air through the GPU heatsink and then down and out of the case. The 580 however will have two intake fans delivering air to the GPU, and two exhaust fans to then suck the hot air up and out instead of it mostly sitting in a hot spot around the GPU. All conjecture though until Ksliger gets around to testing.

Pretty much. It would be interesting to see if changes in fan configuration [exhaust/intake] with both window panels is affected thermally by the inclusion of open air and/or blower cards. Though with the length and height godsend clearance that was mentioned on the 580, there should be no reason not to go for the thickest heatsink card with the best cooling. Pretty much anything would fit.

As for the silent loop 280, I was looking aty reviews the other day but sadly didn't find very much on youtube; compared to the mainstream 280 aio anyways. Though it makes sense the be quiet fans would be the quietest. I don't currently have an aio, though I'm lightly partial to the corsair, mostly because I already have their keyboard and mouse, and the rgb software would work easily for all three. Their rads are also slightly thinner than something like the kraken which may or may not help with clearance from the recent raised motherboard heatsinks. Usually I don't really care for rgb but its a bonus with a window panel. And that reminds me, are the window panels still going to be acrylic due to pricing? I don't have experience with them and how they fare to dust and scratches over the long run compared to tempered glass.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm hoping that by going with the 580 and the Silent Loop 280, which in one review proved to be the quietest AIO out of all the AIO's the reviewer had tested, that I'll be able to potentially overclock the 12 core while still retaining relative silence.
The quietest AIO now I believe is the Corsair H115i Pro (not Platinum), which comes with 140mm fans that at their LOUDEST settings hit 37 DBa, according to Gamers Nexus, which means that their normalized-to-40dba graphs actually note that it can't get that loud. That's my plan for AIO, since it's the latest gen6 Asetek pump.

That said, the BeQuiet has the cool mounting mechanism which means you can put it on a GPU :)

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Hard to beat the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium Edition 360 in sound. It has a fton of wires though and the software blows goats.
They are all relatively quiet though with low fan speed. You have to watch the Corsair version as some of their fans are as loud as my 5 year old haha.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
You have to watch the Corsair version as some of their fans are as loud as my 5 year old haha.

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear that the H115i Pro is supposedly so quiet. I think it was less than a year ago every review I read about Corsair coolers said the same thing. Amazing cooling performance, but at full speed the fans sound like jet turbines. They must have done a serious revision of their fans recently.