Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Yes for the SM580, and for the SM570 it depends on the final design (if the bottom fans are removed it might not be big enough to justify wanting a handle)

I'm kind of leaning the same way. The SM580 sounds great for a double radiator build where the heft would require a handle, but depending on the 570 layout, it might not need one. I'm still in the air about all of the new exciting cases and what will actually be required to keep the Zen2 thermals in check.

Either way, I think that the prices for the 570/580 with handle are both reasonable.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Yes for the SM580, and for the SM570 it depends on the final design (if the bottom fans are removed it might not be big enough to justify wanting a handle)

570 will stay the same as the 580 currently is with fans on bottom, and fans + radiator on top. It's possible to shave a few $ off by eliminating the handle support but doesn't seem worth it in my opinion.

I'm kind of leaning the same way. The SM580 sounds great for a double radiator build where the heft would require a handle, but depending on the 570 layout, it might not need one. I'm still in the air about all of the new exciting cases and what will actually be required to keep the Zen2 thermals in check.

Either way, I think that the prices for the 570/580 with handle are both reasonable.

Double 280mm version of SM580 is no more, will stay single 280mm in top and two 140mm in bottom as pictured.

2x 280mm is going to be a case, but not likely any time soon. Makes this case too big and too expensive.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Double 280mm version of SM580 is no more, will stay single 280mm in top and two 140mm in bottom as pictured.

2x 280mm is going to be a case, but not likely any time soon. Makes this case too big and too expensive.

I guess I missed that. After looking at the pictures again, is it possible for the 580 to relocate the power plug to below the GPU and center the graphics card in the chassis vertically? I was thinking that having a bit more space under the PSU where that bottom front fan, might make for a compelling location for a 2x or 3x SSD caddie for those storage hoarders (if it would fit).

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I guess I missed that. After looking at the pictures again, is it possible for the 580 to relocate the power plug to below the GPU and center the graphics card in the chassis vertically? I was thinking that having a bit more space under the PSU where that bottom front fan, might make for a compelling location for a 2x or 3x SSD caddie for those storage hoarders (if it would fit).

Good idea but would make the PCIe ribbon we bought way too long, already is too long as is. Will have a SSD kit to replace one of the bottom fans with a bunch of SSD mounts in the future if that works?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm fine with the proposed pricing, definitely!

$30 more for a more efficient cooling design is fine by me.
Also handle is handy.

Reactions: Bioforce

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm not interested in the handle, unfortunately. But ~$220 for a 580 without the handle would be fine by me.

Speaking of prices - why is the bifurcation adapter so much extra? Is the cost that high?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
QUICK SM570/SM580 QUESTIONNAIRE

Would the SM580 at $245 with the handle included be an acceptable price? (side panels either window or solid or mix of both)

Would the SM570 at $225 with the handle included be an acceptable price? (side panels either window or solid or mix of both)

Comparable to SM580 is Cerberus at $270 with window on one side and handle included, and to SM570 is the M1 with window panel and no handle option at $195.

Trying to get volumes on the handles up, and include that more premium option at a discount to offset the higher cost elsewhere.

With the handle included I would be much happier with the SM580 at $245.

Chopss

What's an ITX?
Apr 23, 2019
New to sff but am interested in the sm550 for it's size. I've read all of the posts on cooling in this thing but I guess i am still confused. Is it better to use the ducted cooling everyone is posting about than a slotted side panel? I'd rather use the slotted side but if the ducting works better I could be convinced to switch.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not interested in the handle, unfortunately. But ~$220 for a 580 without the handle would be fine by me.

Speaking of prices - why is the bifurcation adapter so much extra? Is the cost that high?
The reason is that you have to have a PLX clock buffer chip and supporting electronics on board, which the PLX chip is pretty expensive.

The PCIE Gen 2 version is $22 at 100 units, and I don't know the Gen3 version off the top of my head, but I imagine it would cost even more.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/broadcom-limited/PEX8606-BA50BC-G/516-3385-ND/6150782

So take that, the rest of the electronics and the cost of the board and labor, and you've got a pretty expensive product compared to an unpopulated riser.

EDIT: Actually not 100% sure that is what that is or why that is so expensive, but small run things do tend to run expensive.

Edit 2: Due to bring corrected I have updated this post to prevent future confusion. I initially assumed PLX due to the cost and didn't read the bios support portion, but that pretty definitively shows it's just a clock buffer circuit, which still aren't cheap if you're getting a quality component, but are generally cheaper than PLX chips.

Last edited:

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
So the 570 and 580 are sticking with their original designs?

570 = 120mm fans, 2-slot GPU, 240mm rad w/ fans on top
580 = 140mm fans, 3-slot GPU, 280 rad or 2x 120mm rads w/ fans on top

I think having the handle as a default is a great differentiation from the other cases on the market. I'm also looking forward to the handle kit for the SM550/560s, as well as the 120-to-92mm Asetek CLC bracket.

Reactions: Sahaj

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The reason is that you have to have a PLX chip and supporting electronics on board, which the PLX chip is pretty expensive.

This is incorrect - BiFurcation specifically is a PLX-switchess technology. You're just routing 8 of the 16 lanes and asking the motherboard to sort it out. This is why it only works on certain motherboards with Bifurcation support, and you lose potential maximum bandwidth. With a PLX switch, either card could do a full 16x speed (but not both at once).
There are custom risers here made by someone on HardForum and they're a bit pricey but they're custom. I was wondering if there were cheaper options that Sliger would have available, but maybe that's not the case.

Reactions: Sahaj and FAQBytes

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Unfortunately we will be forcing the handle on every one of these. I am losing money on the handle at this price and if I take it out we're only able to take ~$10 off the price. $235 with no handle doesn't sound too enticing IMO, $245 with a handle does.

The bifurcated risers are crazy expensive. Then factor in the support work required around it as it is a brand new item people are not familiar with, possible exchanges or returns, etc. the price is covering ourselves on all things considered.

Price also weeds out the people not serious about making it work and planning for it.

So the 570 and 580 are sticking with their original designs?

570 = 120mm fans, 2-slot GPU, 240mm rad w/ fans on top
580 = 140mm fans, 3-slot GPU, 280 rad or 2x 120mm rads w/ fans on top

I think having the handle as a default is a great differentiation from the other cases on the market. I'm also looking forward to the handle kit for the SM550/560s, as well as the 120-to-92mm Asetek CLC bracket.

Yep, sticking to what I drew up. Only change is the angled front vertical edges like SM550/560. Think with a handle included they are just special enough to chose over an M1 or Cerberus.

New to sff but am interested in the sm550 for it's size. I've read all of the posts on cooling in this thing but I guess i am still confused. Is it better to use the ducted cooling everyone is posting about than a slotted side panel? I'd rather use the slotted side but if the ducting works better I could be convinced to switch.

It depends on the motherboard and CPU. If you are new I would say play it safe and go with a compatible air cooler and the vented side. Between vented sides and bottom fans you can keep just about any build running cool.

However if you are going for the wow factor the semi-passive mode with window panels is really cool, even though it might require an undervolt on both CPU and GPU.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Unfortunately we will be forcing the handle on every one of these. I am losing money on the handle at this price and if I take it out we're only able to take ~$10 off the price. $235 with no handle doesn't sound too enticing IMO, $245 with a handle does.

The bifurcated risers are crazy expensive. Then factor in the support work required around it as it is a brand new item people are not familiar with, possible exchanges or returns, etc. the price is covering ourselves on all things considered.

Price also weeds out the people not serious about making it work and planning for it.
With a Bifurcated riser and window panels, that makes the cost of the SM580 (based on the cost up-charges of the SM560) something like $380! Yikes.:eek:

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019

Yep, sticking to what I drew up. Only change is the angled front vertical edges like SM550/560. Think with a handle included they are just special enough to chose over an M1 or Cerberus.

It depends on the motherboard and CPU. If you are new I would say play it safe and go with a compatible air cooler and the vented side. Between vented sides and bottom fans you can keep just about any build running cool.

However if you are going for the wow factor the semi-passive mode with window panels is really cool, even though it might require an undervolt on both CPU and GPU.
When will they be available for purchase? Itching already and so thankful you went the route of their original design.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm actually pretty excited by the handle prospect now, since my monitor has one and it just makes transport so easy!

I'm assuming it's only a few screws to remove it too, so there's really no downside to have the handle.

@KSliger you mentioned a couple of times you were thinking about reverting the SM570 into an SV570 - any concepts of how this may look and differ to the current design?
Or will you just release the SM570 as it was originally pitched and aim at producing the SV line later in the year?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
When will they be available for purchase? Itching already and so thankful you went the route of their original design.

Aiming for mid next month, sooner if we can.

I'm actually pretty excited by the handle prospect now, since my monitor has one and it just makes transport so easy!

I'm assuming it's only a few screws to remove it too, so there's really no downside to have the handle.

@KSliger you mentioned a couple of times you were thinking about reverting the SM570 into an SV570 - any concepts of how this may look and differ to the current design?
Or will you just release the SM570 as it was originally pitched and aim at producing the SV line later in the year?

No SV570 - will only be making the SV590 and SV540 and both will look like the SV590 concept does.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
With a Bifurcated riser and window panels, that makes the cost of the SM580 (based on the cost up-charges of the SM560) something like $380! Yikes.:eek:

No other case that I'm aware of offers a bifurcation riser + 3 slot compatibility as stock options. Those of us who want a powerful GPU + (10G Ethernet OR Streaming card OR additional M.2 storage OR Thunderbolt 3 OR any other 1-slot PCIe option) have been without SFF options until the SM560/580. PCIe riser cables in general are crazy expensive because of the extremely tight tolerances for signal transmission and bifurcation in specific requires clock timing chips (not PLX chips as previously mentioned) as well as specific motherboard manufacturer support. Yes, the price is high, but I feel that Sliger is honestly doing a great service to the SFF market with this line-up. Think about it, they are attempting to fit nearly every possible niche of mITX computing with a single product line, limiting the sacrifices as much as possible (tempered glass comes first to mind).

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
No SV570 - will only be making the SV590 and SV540 and both will look like the SV590 concept does.
No worries - actually quite interested in seeing some development of the SV590 as it looks to be like a far more efficiently designed Phanteks Shift X - a case I love the design of but really hat the layout and building experience of.

crag

Chassis Packer
Apr 19, 2019
Any chance of some side by side pics (or renders) of the SM550 vs the SM570, going from 10L to 15L seems like a big jump but I keep trying to tell myself the extra space isn't actually that much more.