Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Case just came in!! Excellent build quality. @KSliger thank you for this wonderful case. Now to wait for Zen 2. Best part is it fits right in my backpack.

Nice! What backpack? I used to use an Osprey Farpoint 40L for my Salvo S400 console-style case and am considering the Tortuga Outbreaker 45L for easier carrying of that case or this one.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Nice! What backpack? I used to use an Osprey Farpoint 40L for my Salvo S400 console-style case and am considering the Tortuga Outbreaker 45L for easier carrying of that case or this one.
Just a simple Jansport backpack.

Edit: I know this was brought up before, but does anyone have experience with the IS-60? Would it perform better than the heatsink only BS3? It measures out to be 55mm with the fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sahaj

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I would be careful putting the windowed version in a bag, of any type. The plexiglass is extremely prone to scratching.
@EndEffeKt check some of my post on back pages. I used it semi-passive for awhile. Worked really well.

Reactions: Talyrius

sysg9

What's an ITX?
Apr 18, 2019
Hello, Has someone made a build of the SM550 with the seasonic focus SGX-650? How tight does it fit? I've read is 5mm shorter than standard SFX-L. Should I better buy a normal SFX? Thank you!.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Hello, Has someone made a build of the SM550 with the seasonic focus SGX-650? How tight does it fit? I've read is 5mm shorter than standard SFX-L. Should I better buy a normal SFX? Thank you!.
Supports SFX an SFX-L form factor power supplies.
  • SFX-L is supported, however it is a very tight fit and not recommended.
  • Sliger recommends a fan guard grill or custom cables if you do go with SFX-L.

Reactions: sysg9

rjeftw

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2019
@rjeftw You could always grab a 560 and sell if if you don't need it. Nothing wrong with having a case collection. Much worse things to collect

This is kinda true.

Off topic, but kinda what am I dealing with I have to make sure my main machine isn't dying off... it did some really strange things the other evening. Complete system lockup then no bios post via either bios on the Z390 Aorus Master on both bios and on my 9900k/8700k and multiple sets of ram. No temps were outta the ordinary either. then I tried to start testing it the next day, it just turned on... naturally after ordering a replacement board via amazon. Was a weird few days. Pretty skeptical about it right now.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
SM580 with slanted fronts and support for 30mm x 120mm AIO in bottom with 15mm thick fan.

Prototype next week!

Bad news: price is going to be around $250. Reason being the internal layout complexity. Did not want it to kink hoses, have poor airflow, be difficult to build in, appear sloppy once assembled, etc. and that resulted in a lot of complex parts going into this. Basically the same as an SM560 but adding two new parts and a ton more labor, QC, materials, etc. to the existing parts.

I am really on the fence about the SM570 now. Would be competing with the Ophion Evo at almost half the price, and M1 for ~$35 more. I think it needs to be shrunk down to not have fans in the bottom. Currently just a little smaller than an M1. Removing the fans would make it much smaller and a true SFF case.

Other hand, might make the SM570 into an SV570 and that would get the price down to <$200. (SV are very simple construction, screw on panels, no front panel board, etc.)

Opinions?

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
I’m in agreement on cutting the SM570 from the lineup and using in the SV line instead.

On a separate note, when would the AIO bracket for the 645LT be available for purchase? I’d go with that if it’ll be available soon.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
The 580 sounds great! I'm excited you're keeping the Sliger signature look with the angled front panels, and look forward to the renders/prototype pics! Also, I can't imagine the price increase would be a deal breaker for the added features it's bringing to the form factor.

I know many are excited about the 570, and rightfully so... but it sounds like the 580 is going to cover everything that made the 570 special, and do a better job of it. If you're going to drop the 570, it might be worth considering renaming the 580 to 570 just to keep the naming scheme from the 550 and 560.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
@KSliger If you are thinking of removing the bottom fans on the SM570 then there is no point in adding this case to the SM series. The bottom fans and the "Bottom > Top" airflow is what makes this series unique compared to other "sandwich" sff cases. This is what allows one to have windowed panels on both chambers. Without the bottom fans one would be crazy to place windows on both sides XD. Makes me suffocate just reading this :D.

Rather perhaps focus the resources on a "breathable" Cerebrus or M1-type case with a top-mounted AIO :thumb:;)

PS: What is the SV series? Any prototypes?

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
@KSliger If you are thinking of removing the bottom fans on the SM570 then there is no point in adding this case to the SM series. The bottom fans and the "Bottom > Top" airflow is what makes this series unique compared to other "sandwich" sff cases. This is what allows one to have windowed panels on both chambers. Without the bottom fans one would be crazy to place windows on both sides XD. Makes me suffocate just reading this :D.

Rather perhaps focus the resources on a "breathable" Cerebrus or M1-type case with a top-mounted AIO :thumb:;)

PS: What is the SV series? Any prototypes?

For the SM570, the idea is that the two fans on the radiator would provide negative pressure drawing air through the components and out the top. As far as the SV series, here is a link to the forum topic: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-with-360mm-aio-and-3-slot-gpu-support.10423/

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
SM580 with slanted fronts and support for 30mm x 120mm AIO in bottom with 15mm thick fan.

Prototype next week!

Bad news: price is going to be around $250. Reason being the internal layout complexity. Did not want it to kink hoses, have poor airflow, be difficult to build in, appear sloppy once assembled, etc. and that resulted in a lot of complex parts going into this. Basically the same as an SM560 but adding two new parts and a ton more labor, QC, materials, etc. to the existing parts.

I am really on the fence about the SM570 now. Would be competing with the Ophion Evo at almost half the price, and M1 for ~$35 more. I think it needs to be shrunk down to not have fans in the bottom. Currently just a little smaller than an M1. Removing the fans would make it much smaller and a true SFF case.

Other hand, might make the SM570 into an SV570 and that would get the price down to <$200. (SV are very simple construction, screw on panels, no front panel board, etc.)

Opinions?

Hmm. Given that the Cerberus is almost the same size but $40 less and with better support for tall air coolers and larger PSU's, while maintaining about the same level of water cooling capability I'd almost be inclined to just get a Cerberus at that pricepoint. I'll reserve judgement until I see the prototype, but I was really expecting the SM580 to be priced comparably to the Cerberus. There are still things I prefer about the designs I've seen for the SM580 so I think ultimately I'd still shell out the extra $40, but it becomes a tougher choice.

Reactions: Maniac

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Hmm. Given that the Cerberus is almost the same size but $40 less and with better support for tall air coolers and larger PSU's, while maintaining about the same level of water cooling capability I'd almost be inclined to just get a Cerberus at that pricepoint. I'll reserve judgement until I see the prototype, but I was really expecting the SM580 to be priced comparably to the Cerberus. There are still things I prefer about the designs I've seen for the SM580 so I think ultimately I'd still shell out the extra $40, but it becomes a tougher choice.

That said, if it's better, it's better. I guess I can't complain too much about $40-ish dollars if the changes are going to make the case better and more versatile than it was.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
SM580 with slanted fronts and support for 30mm x 120mm AIO in bottom with 15mm thick fan. Prototype next week!
SUPER excited about this! Is the complexity that you refer to with the spine? How are you accommodating tube routing and so forth?

I think the SM570 is competing with the Louqe Ghost S1, the Ophion Evo, and a few Taobao cases. If you want to have two more products in the SM series, I'd say do one with 240/280 + 120 support and one with 280+280 support. Otherwise, just stick with a single SM580 and call it a day.

Might make the SM570 into an SV570 and that would get the price down to <$200. (SV are very simple construction, screw on panels, no front panel board, etc.) Opinions?
Still don't quite get the difference between the SM and SV on how it will look. Looking at your other thread, there are no renders just text. Maybe an update over in that thread to get the opinion of folks there, with an example of what the SV570 and SV590 might look like?

That said, if it's better, it's better. I guess I can't complain too much about $40-ish dollars if the changes are going to make the case better and more versatile than it was.
I don't see these as similar cases. Cerberus is a non-sandwich layout, and as far as water cooling support goes, you have to sacrifice a LOT to get dual radiators. You can do two 240mm rads but you lose your bottom 2~3 PCIe slots and restrict the length of GPU to 275mm. You also have rad in front and bottom, but not the top. Very difference use cases. I feel like Cerberus is a better air-cooling case, with lots of flexibility on where you mount things. Once you start shoving rads in there, it gets complicated. This SM580 would be designed specifically for watercooled builds, and would involve (almost) no trade offs for 280+120 support if it works out like Sliger said above. That puts it in Cerberus X territory, at less volume.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@KSliger I love those ideas for the 580, exactly what I was going for!
$250 isn't that bad for a case with this amount of component support

Looking forward to prototypes

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Yeah the size vs options vs price ratio in this layout starts to get really out there.

Really think this might be the same conundrum that Dan ran into with the C4 and why he is trying to add so many features. Also might explain the hate on the Ophion Evo because they went as cheap as they could, and it is still expensive with short comings all around.

SV590 might be the smarter / better selling SFF case of all these as it doesn't have nearly as many parts, has screw on panels, and doesn't have the USB C board - so while the internal layout is complicated the cost is substantially less. That case will likely be <$200.

SUPER excited about this! Is the complexity that you refer to with the spine? How are you accommodating tube routing and so forth?

The power supply has a small pass through plenum between it and the front of the case, PSU bracket is also screwed into place. So between those two things it should just be a breeze to mount the AIO in top and have a nice relaxed swoop on the tubes between the rad and pump.

Still don't quite get the difference between the SM and SV on how it will look. Looking at your other thread, there are no renders just text. Maybe an update over in that thread to get the opinion of folks there, with an example of what the SV570 and SV590 might look like?

Weird, dunno why it is not loading in that thread, here's a link:

imgur.com /a/8xYZzA0

Take out the space as it's not loading here either

Reactions: Bioforce and Sahaj

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Cant wait to see the updated 580 look.
As far as AIO support. the Asetek that was shown to be very nice in the previous posts, is almost impossible to find, let alone at a good price.
Any plans to support the newer 645LT?
So far, the 560 is almost perfect for my needs. Supports a 3 slot card. All I would personally want is maybe just a bit more room for a taller cooler, or a small AIO.
I have managed to get the 2700x running at 3.9ghz@1.162v. That allows for auto fan speeds that are much quieter all through the range.
Gonna be a big big win for Ryzen 3 and further power savings.

DMAT

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2019
The 580 is too big for me and when you were thinking of removing the fans on the bottom of the 570 I started to get excited again. To me the smaller 570 would be something I would purchase. A 240mm rad. with custom loop water cooled cpu and gpu is what I want. I was watching the progress of the Dan C4 when it got out of control and then saw your post and started following your progress on the 570 and wondered why the 2 sets of fans in a small case.

Well I hope you make the 570 with 240 radiator and fans and all the fat out of it.