Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
Hardly had time to put mine together last night, but messed with it long enough to know my temps could use some work. Idling at about 50C on a 2600 cooled via an L9a. I'll try changing some settings tonight, and seeing if I can clean up my wiring a bit to see if that helps. I plan to pick up a C7/Cu/G when I can, so that may also help.

Pleasantly surprised that my Aorus 1080ti didn't require the pigtail adapter, and glad I had the foresight to get both just in case.

Looking forward to digging back into it tonight.

Reactions: wsgroves

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Just wanted to drop in and say I love these cases. They are absolutely amazing. I ordered another SM560 and plan to try using the 645LT in it with a 3d printed 92 to 120mm adaptor I bought a while back.

Nice, you got 3 SM560s?! Care to share specs and temperatures for each of those machines?

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Hardly had time to put mine together last night, but messed with it long enough to know my temps could use some work. Idling at about 50C on a 2600 cooled via an L9a. I'll try changing some settings tonight, and seeing if I can clean up my wiring a bit to see if that helps. I plan to pick up a C7/Cu/G when I can, so that may also help.

Pleasantly surprised that my Aorus 1080ti didn't require the pigtail adapter, and glad I had the foresight to get both just in case.

Looking forward to digging back into it tonight.
I wouldn't bother with the C7 and would check out the Scythe Big Shuriken 3. As @KSliger has said, the C7 is extremely loud as well.
I also tried the Noctura NH-L9i and it was loud for me also. I have a C7 I could maybe test for you but am running short on paste atm and just googling cryorig c7 2700x doesn't look like its worth the time.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
On another note, @KSliger did you notice any temp differences between the 550/60?

The testing we did had the temperatures the same on both.

I wouldn't bother with the C7 and would check out the Scythe Big Shuriken 3. As @KSliger has said, the C7 is extremely loud as well.
I also tried the Noctura NH-L9i and it was loud for me also. I have a C7 I could maybe test for you but am running short on paste atm and just googling cryorig c7 2700x doesn't look like its worth the time.

I am just recommending BS3 to everyone now.

C7 is good for temps with vented, but sounds like a hair dryer on window or vented.

LP53 is better than the C7 for noise and thermals with vented panel, don't use it with window panel though.

Reactions: Sahaj and wsgroves

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
I wouldn't bother with the C7 and would check out the Scythe Big Shuriken 3.

I am just recommending BS3 to everyone now.

C7 is good for temps with vented, but sounds like a hair dryer on window or vented.

LP53 is better than the C7 for noise and thermals with vented panel, don't use it with window panel though.

If the LP53 worked with AM4, that was gonna be my top pick.

I've placed an order for the BS3 after the two of you recommending it.

I ran into an issue with the USB 3 cable getting stuck in my mobo's USB 3 connector, so this'll give me a good excuse to dig back in there and see if I can get it out to reposition it. Wouldn't be too concerned with it being stuck if it weren't for the fact that I didn't get it routed the way I wanted.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I think you will like the BS3.
Those dang usb3 headers are the worst pos things. I really wish companies would start re-thinking connectors.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Yea same. I even have the screws barely in them also. There's literally zero space between the middle and the bars. I could probably put some kind of spacer along the edges I'll have to see. I don't want to rip the whole thing apart though just to do that again

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
Idling at about 50C on a 2600 cooled via an L9a.

Popped off the CPU side panel and my temps dropped 5C. I think the problem is that I don't have the riser cable far enough out of the way. I popped it back open and tried bending the cable to be more on the other side. There's definitely more airflow, and my fans are staying quieter, but my temps haven't changed all that much - maybe a 2C difference. Hoping the BS3 is what I need here.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Mine idles the same. I have to jack up the case fans during gaming. It just is what it is. All that is pushing air through the heat sink is the case fans so if they are not running very fast, not as much air gets moved.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Popped off the CPU side panel and my temps dropped 5C. I think the problem is that I don't have the riser cable far enough out of the way. I popped it back open and tried bending the cable to be more on the other side. There's definitely more airflow, and my fans are staying quieter, but my temps haven't changed all that much - maybe a 2C difference. Hoping the BS3 is what I need here.

Rev 2.0 of this is going to get a shorter riser cable, went a little longer on first batch as I did not know how all 6 cases with riser would work out - turns out I just need one length.

Cable is really resistant to degradation from bending. I tried to trash one folding it up hard and worked fine.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Problem solved lol. Tried spacers, still wouldnt work so removed like on the 550.

Well, with the 560 and gpu shroud back on, much better gpu temps. So far, cpu is a touch warmer at 72.
Now, Ill I have to find is a way to not run the case fans at 100% during heavy loads to keep the cpu cool enough. No problem with anything at all now, except it is still too loud. May fiddle with some cpu coolers with fans to see if that combined with the case fans, can tone it down a little.
Trying Asus aisuite turbo fan setting instead of max to see if will throttle or not.

Last edited:

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
Rev 2.0 of this is going to get a shorter riser cable, went a little longer on first batch as I did not know how all 6 cases with riser would work out - turns out I just need one length.

Cable is really resistant to degradation from bending. I tried to trash one folding it up hard and worked fine.

The cable itself seems quite sturdy, my main point of concern in bending it is the connector that attaches to the mobo. I don't want to bend it too sharply for fear of breaking the connector.

Maybe 2.0 should have a shorter cable and a right-angle connector? Seems like the most thorough way to minimize airflow obstruction.

Edit: Seems to perform just fine under load. With my first test (Dark Souls 3, so a little dated at this point), my CPU hit 70 and my GPU hit 73. I'll try something a little more intensive when I get the chance. If temps stay in an acceptable range, I may change out the IPPC Noctuas for some standards, since these things are loud as all get-out. Still have some tweaking to do.

Edit 2: Ran a strike in Destiny 2, same deal. The fans ramped up quite a bit, but the CPU never went above 70. GPU hit 75, and was probably at full load. I still need to test for longer sessions, but I've cancelled my order on the BS3 and will instead pick up some standard Noctuas, and see how my temps are then. I'm also interested in the 92mm AIO someone got working earlier, so if it works out that those brackets become readily available, I may go that path.

Last edited:

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018

Oooh nice! Any chance the PSU can be moved up slightly too for better 120mm AIO support for SM550/560 v2.0?

roscoejp

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2019
The riser cable does block almost ALL of the vents directly above the CPU even when it's bent tightly...

@KSliger do you have any right angle riser cables that you think may work with the 500? I think getting some of the vent uncovered above the CPU may help with the passive setups (although I have a B.S. 2 and it's not a great cooler for this build)

I can't justify new parts atm since 3000 series CPUs are around the corner and no AMD mobos atm support the front panel connector for the usbC. I'm going to be stuck on the B.S. 2 and my 4770k for another few months but would be willing to replace the riser if I could.

On a related note, the stock Corsair PUS cables are easy enough to hide in this build. I was able to tightly ziptie all of mine to the support riser under the PSU since it has the zip tie holes in it already. I'll try and take some pictures with my phone later if anyone wants to see how I did it.

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
I am following this topic with big interest after reading the article from sliger on the semi-passive sm550.
Has any customer had sufficient success with a similar setup?