Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You would need to use low-profile 90 degree rotary fittings in place of the green ones they show in the early pictures. The AD II issue was the fittings and the tubes coming off of them would interfere with the case panel, rather than the pump itself being the problem. Looking at that beast, as long as the tubes could route out without kinking it probably should fit. But those tall green fittings look like they would be an issue, however in later pictures they show them removed so that should mean you could fit very short turns there.

Koolance makes a very low-profile adapter that might work.
I used those fitting with the Apogee Drive II in my Ghost and they work really well.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
My attention was just drawn to this case via reddit (560 actually but I'm seriously eyeing the 550). My needs are small case, very very quiet, the more CPU power the better, I am OK with whatever GPU I can. So um do you think it'd two Noctua F-12 , the Silverstone 450W passive SFX-L and a fanless cooler (which?) could carry a 3700X in a SM550 ? Plus a fanless GT1030 or maaaaybe https://www.quietpc.com/palit-ne5105t018g1-1070h this thing? It's "only" 142mm tall and the 550 is 155mm tall compatible I just dunno about the heat...

That 1050 Ti GPU would work great for semi-passive mode, would fit no problem and shouldn't have any cooling issues so long as bottom fans are set to blow up through the case!

If you go with the 560 you can use a 120mm AIO for the 3700X and keep the linked 1050. For a 550 I would encourage the 92mm AIO for a 3700X, or just going down to a 3600.

@KSliger

Does the Riser card support PCIE Gen 4.0 for the 5700 XT?

No sir. I do not have an estimate on PCIe 4.0 risers yet, maybe 2-3 months out. Will sell them as upgrades for existing SM cases when ready.

Is the 55mm width for CPU coolers only achievable with a vented side panel? I'm looking at using this but I have no idea if it's compatible or not...it's an Apogee Drive II clone on taobao that's 55mm tall and idk if it'll work.

Height is same for all Vented/Unvented/Window, so that thing would work with any panel with the right fittings.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I wouldn't try to cool a 3700x passively in a 550 case. It has enough trouble in the 560 even with bigger coolers.
Another issue you will run into is noise. Trying to keep it cool passively would require about max fan speeds.

Reactions: Sashby

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
How hot is too hot for the 2080 Ti in the 580?

I've got my EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra plus 3700X in my SM580 with both windowed panels plus a 3.5" HDD on the front bottom and one 140mm fan under the motherboard. Not overclocking or doing anything beyond stock with either CPU or GPU. Playing Wolfenstein: Youngblood and it was getting really toasty. EVGA's Precision X1 had the 2080Ti topping out and staying at about 83-84 C when playing. CPU temps seemed fine usually bouncing around the 60s C, but I was mostly focusing on the GPU temps since the case itself on the GPU side felt pretty hot to the touch.

Now, I took the GPU side window panel off and played a while and the 2080 Ti temps backed off quite a bit, topping out around the 60s C. Kind of expected it to be warm with both windowed panels, so I think I'll grab a vented panel just to have since I was kind of expecting this kind of heat issue. Any other suggestions? Obviously having another 140mm fan down below would help but that's not in the cards right now anyway.

Right now I have both top AIO fans pulling outside air into the case and the single 140mm fan below exhausting out the bottom. Should I flip that? Exhausting air out the top AIO (bottom to top airflow) might help the GPU temps but probably would cause the CPU to warm up a little, right?

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
That's probably warm enough to keep it from boosting fully, but probably not hot enough to worry about it shortening the lifetime of card by an appreciable amount.

I think the vented panel would help a lot, since it would be able to draw cool air directly, as proved by your test with the panel off. If you are okay with ordering a new panel, I don't think you would need to do anything else, as the panel-off temps you observed are good.

Reactions: Jibbajabbawockers

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Any updates on the handle for the 550/560?

October / November at this point, lots of OEM work ramping up.

Will I be able to run a 5700 XT in this case or do I need the riser to be 4.0

Will need to put GPU into motherboard outside of the case and change the PCIe setting to 3.0 speed, then install the motherboard and GPU into the case with the riser.

Tech Power Up has a good review of PCIE 4.0 v 3.0 v 2.0 on the 5700XT - negligible performance loss by stepping down even to PCIe 2.0 from 4.0.

How hot is too hot for the 2080 Ti in the 580?

I've got my EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra plus 3700X in my SM580 with both windowed panels plus a 3.5" HDD on the front bottom and one 140mm fan under the motherboard. Not overclocking or doing anything beyond stock with either CPU or GPU. Playing Wolfenstein: Youngblood and it was getting really toasty. EVGA's Precision X1 had the 2080Ti topping out and staying at about 83-84 C when playing. CPU temps seemed fine usually bouncing around the 60s C, but I was mostly focusing on the GPU temps since the case itself on the GPU side felt pretty hot to the touch.

Now, I took the GPU side window panel off and played a while and the 2080 Ti temps backed off quite a bit, topping out around the 60s C. Kind of expected it to be warm with both windowed panels, so I think I'll grab a vented panel just to have since I was kind of expecting this kind of heat issue. Any other suggestions? Obviously having another 140mm fan down below would help but that's not in the cards right now anyway.

Right now I have both top AIO fans pulling outside air into the case and the single 140mm fan below exhausting out the bottom. Should I flip that? Exhausting air out the top AIO (bottom to top airflow) might help the GPU temps but probably would cause the CPU to warm up a little, right?

Since you only have one bottom fan you should change all the fans to be pulling in from top through radiator and exhausting out bottom, this will give you your best temperatures with the window.

Way you have it now with the window panel on and all fans as exhaust you're basically putting your 2080TI in a vacuum between the fans - no where to draw cool air in.

Window panel or unvented panel = all fans one direction.

Vented panels = all fans as exhaust or all one direction.

Let me know if this helps your temps!

jkiejr

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2018
So i am torn between 2 graphic cards that i am looking to update to. The first card is the sapphire pulse rx 5700 xt, the second is a sapphire reference 5700 xt.
Wondering if anyone is running either and what the temps are.

Last edited:

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Since you only have one bottom fan you should change all the fans to be pulling in from top through radiator and exhausting out bottom, this will give you your best temperatures with the window.

Way you have it now with the window panel on and all fans as exhaust you're basically putting your 2080TI in a vacuum between the fans - no where to draw cool air in.

Window panel or unvented panel = all fans one direction.

Vented panels = all fans as exhaust or all one direction.

Let me know if this helps your temps!

So right now I have the fans set up like this:
Plus the 3.5" HDD where the empty space on the bottom is in that picture. Everything is going Top to Bottom in one direction- is that what you're recommending?

Or should I have it with the bottom fan drawing outside air in from the bottom and the AIO fans set to exhaust out the top like this?

Maybe another contributing issue with my particular setup with respect to cooling could be the fact that I've only got a 240mm AIO on the top, so its not getting the most efficiency out of the space as I would with a 280mm AIO up top. Also, I know with my old case I had it setup on the floor on a little cart that gave it some added leverage and space to breath on the bottom. I'm wondering if adding some height and space between the bottom fan of the 580 and my desk might help?

Would swapping the direction of the PSU fan make much of a difference on the GPU? I've got the fan facing the window panel on the CPU side right now, but would flipping it around so that the fan is exhausting towards the GPU help with airflow or just heat the GPU up even more? Maybe with a vented panel on the GPU side it would help in exhausting a little more warm air out of the case?

Feenoh

What's an ITX?
Aug 26, 2019
You want the middle option for Ryzen, the one on the right for certain Intel. The middle option connects both the type A and Type C to the 19 pin header.
So wait, will the middle option work for the my ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac? Or am I stuck with either no panel or just running the right option with no functioning USB C. Sorry for digging up an old post, but thanks!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
So wait, will the middle option work for the my ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac? Or am I stuck with either no panel or just running the right option with no functioning USB C. Sorry for digging up an old post, but thanks!
The Asrock does not have that header unfortunately if you look at this post by Necere he has the boards that do have the header listed.

Reactions: CountNoctua

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
You need to pick the middle option for any board without the Type E connector. I have the same board and it doesn't have one. That takes both USB ports (the Type-A and Type-C) and wires them both into the 19-pin front USB3 connector. Your Type-C port will only run at USB 3.1 gen1 (5gbps) but it's better than nothing.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Looking for some opinions/insite.

I'm considering moving my media rig/game server rig from my S4m to the SM560. The rig in question is running a i7 7700k with a 1080 mini from zotac. My desired layout is solid side panels and bottom fans set as intakes. I'm aware that vented panels with bottom fans as exhaust are better but I'm not worried about my GPU temps as I don't game on it and I plan to cool my CPU with a external liquid cooling set up. The only thing that I can't really find out is if there is a good way to get the tubes routed from the CPU to the exterior.

My first thought is to get the pig tail power cable and then add some holes to that but without a built rig im not sure if there is a clean/east way to route the tubes from the CPU to the top of the GPU side.

Could anyone with the 560 help a nerd out?