Feedback The SFF.N Update Thread: Track our work!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Silver Supporter
Feb 12, 2016
I have been having issues navigating past the first page of the Newsfeed. I am trying to see what the solution may be at the moment.

1s44c

Caliper Novice
Mar 30, 2019
I click on the Insert Image (Ctrl+P), and then once I put an image link it says the An error has occured... Please contact your administrator

VegetableStu

Shrink Way Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I have been having issues navigating past the first page of the Newsfeed. I am trying to see what the solution may be at the moment.
oh right, i remember this in the discord during the podcast
there was a fix in the newspages, but it broke the sidebar again ._.

Reactions: Soul_Est

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
I click on the Insert Image (Ctrl+P), and then once I put an image link it says the An error has occured... Please contact your administrator
When I try to put an non-image link, this is what get:
Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator.
This shouldn't be what you are doing as you are getting a different message, but you can still try with the link I used above to be sure:

Are you able to reproduce this strange behaviour on different devices / browsers?

NateDawg72

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 11, 2016
I know this has been discussed quite a bit already but I'd like to reiterate the feedback on reformatting the home forum page into a list instead of a grid. Will most of us get used to it, maybe, but a grid is fundamentally more work to navigate. I love this forum and I'm also concerned some people may just get tired of these changes.

At this point I have the script I've shared previously in this thread that reformats the webpage on the client side and I'm considering putting more time into it now.

MrFizzyBubbs

Cable Smoosher
May 30, 2019
I know this has been discussed quite a bit already but I'd like to reiterate the feedback on reformatting the home forum page into a list instead of a grid. Will most of us get used to it, maybe, but a grid is fundamentally more work to navigate. I love this forum and I'm also concerned some people may just get tired of these changes.

At this point I have the script I've shared previously in this thread that reformats the webpage on the client side and I'm considering putting more time into it now.
Seconded.

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016

Tripled, I'm still not getting used to this hard to read home page that needs to be scrolled to be seen entirely.
Why not doing a survey asking the 9500 members what they would prefer for a front page?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Head writer SFF.N
SFF Workshop
Editorial Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@PlayfulPhoenix is currently AFK dealing with the biggest move of his life. Expect changes to stop for now until he has sorted that out. He is the main dev working on this, with back end help from another staffer. SFF.N is a hobby for us staff, we all have day jobs (and some of us have rather challenging extra responsibilities on top of that)

I am Head Editor (i.e. content creation only), not web dev, so directing feedback at me in here or via PM won't achieve much apart from me passing on messages, FYI :)

Choidebu

King of Cable Management
Aug 16, 2017
  1. Page navigation should be on top as well as the bottom. Now it's only on the bottom.
  2. Top level subforums (This one for example) on mobile (chrome on android) have too big of a background image. Just doesn't make sense when you get to it and all you see is the title, <mark read watch etc>. Shouldn't need to scroll just to see top 5 threads.
  3. Slowly getting used to current division: discuss, create, exchange? But why OOT in discuss again?
  4. I am sorry that this cropped up again and again, rightly so cause it's gotta be hurting your seo: article links are bust. See this and follow the linked article. Can't find it anywhere now.

Last edited:

jØrd

SCSI for life
Digital Seppuku
LOSIAS
Gold Supporter
Jul 19, 2015
I am sorry that this cropped up again and again, rightly so cause it's gotta be hurting your seo: article links are bust. See this and follow the linked article. Can't find it anywhere now.
This may or may not come as a shock to anyone who hasnt read entirety of both threads on this but everyone on team is well aware that all the article links are currently not working. There is a reason for this, it is being worked on but w/ @PlayfulPhoenix being super AFK moving countries things got slowed down a little. Needless to say, we see all the feedback, we share your concerns, we are working on it. We are a small team of part timers, we are all devoting as much time as we possibly can to this but no one is nine to fiving it so change tends to be all at once or a little bit at a time as & when we can fit it in.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Haven't been here in some months, so I didn't see any advance notice or whatnot. Absolutely hate the redesign. I don't know why the technical changes couldn't have just been applied to the backend and kept the appearance and experience largely the same. My two cents...

Reactions: NateDawg72

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Editorial Staff
Gold Supporter
May 9, 2015
@jtd871 Because the theme wasn't compatible with the newer XenForo and a redesign to integrate the frontpage with the forum was needed.

Generally speaking, I personally have zero issues with the change after it's been refined since the beginning but I'm also comfortable with change.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
@jtd871 Because the theme wasn't compatible with the newer XenForo and a redesign to integrate the frontpage with the forum was needed.
Whatever. It wasn't broken, IMO before, and I don't understand what the compelling reason to change was.

The spareness and conciseness of the previous interface at all levels was its greatest strength.

Again, the background images on the main forum page are hugely distracting, hinder readability/understanding and should be removed to the greatest extent possible.

I'll shut up now.

Reactions: Elerek

Windfall

SFF Guru
Nov 14, 2017
Whatever. It wasn't broken, IMO before, and I don't understand what the compelling reason to change was.

The spareness and conciseness of the previous interface at all levels was its greatest strength.

Again, the background images on the main forum page are hugely distracting, hinder readability/understanding and should be removed to the greatest extent possible.

I'll shut up now.

I agree. At the very least remove the background images.