• Updates are afoot! Track our progress, report bugs, and make feature requests in our dedicated update thread. Read more
    Our latest release introduces full-screen post editing, ignorable forums and threads, lazy loading, unread thread icons, and other enhancements

Feedback The SFF.N Update Thread: Track our work!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
Is anyone else experiencing what @BaK is?

@BaK, I may message you with additional questions to try and debug this. Obviously making a new account is not much of a solution. Can you share:
  1. Which forums you're seeing this happen in
  2. If you're able to navigate to threads in an affected forum indirectly (such as via Google search)

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
All forums but the General one.
On the BST forum I also see the 'Closed threads' subforum but once in it nothing is listed

2. If you're able to navigate to threads in an affected forum indirectly (such as via Google search)
Nope.
If I search "smallformfactor.net concepts" in Google search, and then click on the found link <https://smallformfactor.net/forum/category/concepts.57/'>, no threads are present on the loaded page.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
Hey everyone,

A reminder that we will be offline for scheduled maintenance for a few hours tonight. Compared to the last release there will be more going on behind the scenes than not, but we may be unveiling a refreshed interface for the main forum list, as well as some new categorization functionality to make threads easier to browse. Depends on how the release goes 😅

A lot of the work we haven't been talking about pertains to supporter tier benefits and community chat, but I'm hoping to roll those out pretty soon. Tonight's release will implement some of what's needed to make those possible, even if they aren't user-facing changes quite yet.

ThePilgrim

Efficiency Noob
Bronze Supporter
May 14, 2019
New main forum landing... feels a bit too much like Trello or the likes. There’s a polish to it, which is nice but with the images behind the cards, it’s quite busy. Sometimes less = more. Overall good direction though. 👍

Reactions: Phuncz and Brude27

Valantar

Master of Cramming
Jan 20, 2018
I'm torn. The aesthetic is kind of nice, but a grid layout is and will always be more complex and less attuned to take in a lot of information at a glance - due to the simple fact that your eyes have to move in a far more complex zig-zag manner rather than scanning down a vertical list. So: aesthetically better, UX-wise worse.

Reactions: NateDawg72

Brude27

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 21, 2018
New main forum landing... feels a bit too much like Trello or the likes. There’s a polish to it, which is nice but with the images behind the cards, it’s quite busy. Sometimes less = more. Overall good direction though. 👍
I second this! I like the new layout, but the images make it a little too busy, in turn making it a little difficult to read.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

SFF Guru
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
So it looks like Off Topic was moved to the General category, guess that will take a bit more navigation.

AlexTzone

Airflow Optimizer
THOR ZONE
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I think the idea is cool, but rather than having dim/blurred images you guys should go for simple vector icons:
  • Have a plain background color (accent gray or main theme blue/red)
  • Set the Title & Subtitle to 50-75% of the box width
  • Set icon width to 20% of the box width
I'm only talking about the "boxes" that have background images in them, everything else looks really nice now! The XX% I wrote above are just ideas. In any case, I think that you guys have done a phenomenal job thus far!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightblade

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
Is anyone else experiencing what @BaK is?

@BaK, I may message you with additional questions to try and debug this. Obviously making a new account is not much of a solution. Can you share:
@PlayfulPhoenix found out how to solve my issue, congrats and big thanks to him for having helped me out!

I second this! I like the new layout, but the images make it a little too busy, in turn making it a little difficult to read.
Same feeling here

In any case, I think that you guys have done a phenomenal job thus far!
and that as well!

NateDawg72

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 11, 2016
I'm not a fan of the latest update unfortunately, I don't like background images or the grid layout. The images make it harder for me to read the text and the grid layout is exactly as Valantar said. It looks polished but it isn't as usable for me.

Reactions: ASCii

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
While it does indeed look busy and "modern", I find the background images and especially the grid layout unsatisfactory from a usability point of view. It's makes the landing page good eyecandy but it can't be used to easily scan the sub forums for new threads/replies anymore.
The latest thread-reply in a sub forum has near equal visual weight to the sub forum name. Two pixel size difference in the font is not enough. In some cases the latest reply is even more present due to a flashy user avatar and/or a colorful label in the thread title.

Other annoyances:
I can't hide sub forum groups anymore. In the old layout, I was for example able to hide the Exchange and Offtopic/Community section because i wasn't really interested in what was happening there.

I'm not even able to see only a specific sub forum group even though the breadcrumb trail suggests it exists. If I for example view the "Builds" Section the trail is displayed as "Home > Forums > Create". "Forums" and "Create" links to the same page, for "Create" it would only scroll down slightly if my resolution wouldn't result in me being able to see the whole landing page without scrolling anyway.
It's infuriating that when I for example want to switch from "Concepts & Custom Projects" to "Mods" i have to get back to the landing page and find the tiny "Mods" section tile in the grid.

Middle-click to open in a new tab also only works on the section text, while normal-click works on the whole tile (in Firefox that is, might be different in other browsers). This makes it hard to open sections with small titles like "Mods".

Reactions: ASCii

bernieyee

Chassis Packer
Apr 30, 2019
Hi there,

I am not sure if this is related to the forum update, but I can't seem to see subforums. I used to be able to as far as I remember until the update recently. I don't think it's an access issue as I can browse individual threads such as this one. I can view subforums normally if logged out.