Feedback The SFF.N Update Thread: Track our work!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
Hey everyone,

As we will be rolling out lot of changes and enhancements to SFF.N over the coming weeks, I figured it would make sense to create a dedicated thread to announce and discuss these, as well as to get feedback from the community. This conversation has already started in the original announcement post and some other threads; let's keep that going here!

I'll update this post over time with feature releases and maintenance periods, so you can see what's been done and what's slated to be worked on. Note that this is not meant to be a complete catalogue of what's we're planning to roll out; we have literally dozens of features in our backlog. Rather, consider this to be a record of what we've released to date, and what we've announced our intention to build out in the near future.

Feature Releases

COMPLETED

• New 'Dark Red' primary theme [4-29-18]
  • Improved rendering performance [4-29-18]
  • Native tables and emoji support [4-29-18]
  • Native Giphy integration [4-29-18]
  • New 'Dark Blue' supplemental theme [4-30-18]
  • Greatly improved search via Elasticsearch [5-1-18]
  • Improved load time & security through image proxying [5-1-18]
  • Initial forum re-structuring [5-2-18]
  • Verified user banner system [5-10-18]
  • Unread thread tags in thread lists [5-13-18]
  • Ignore forum & thread options [5-13-18]
  • Lazy loading for improved performance [5-13-18]
  • Full-screen post editor [5-13-18]
  • Refactoring of forum content structure and organization [5-17-19]
  • Visual update to main forum list [5-19-19]
  • Refactoring of forum sidebar [5-19-19]
COMING SOON: ANNOUNCED FEATURES
  • Refactoring of supporter tiers and benefits [Coming soon – In testing]
  • SFF.N community chat [Planned for May 24]
  • Expanded typography [Coming soon – In testing]
  • Enhanced vendor forum capabilities [Coming soon – In testing]

Maintenance Schedule

COMPLETED
  • April 29, 08:00 – 20:00 EDT
  • May 2, 21:00 – 22:30 EDT
  • May 13, 21:00 – 22:30 EDT
  • May 17, 23:30 – 00:00 EDT
  • May 19, 23:00 – 00:30 EDT
PLANNED
  • May 24, 23:30 – 00:00 EDT

Last edited:

Brude27

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 21, 2018
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but imgur sliders are drastically over-sized on mobile... and you can't pinch to zoom out to see what they are showing. That's at least my experience on my iPhone.

Keep up the great work! I'm really digging this new site layout! :)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but imgur sliders are drastically over-sized on mobile... and you can't pinch to zoom out to see what they are showing. That's at least my experience on my iPhone.

Keep up the great work! I'm really digging this new site layout! :)
That's no good. Could you share a screenshot of that?

Brude27

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 21, 2018

Also, as I was looking for the post I found another feature missing from mobile... When you browse the threads on mobile, it takes you immediately to the first page rather than the last unread, and doesn't give you an option to select the page. Once you're there, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to get the page numbers/arrows. I took a screen shot of that, too.

Notice no page numbers:

Notice no page numbers/arrows:

The page numbers/arrows I'm referencing:

Reactions: Phuncz

Brude27

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 21, 2018
Looking further into it (I'm going back and forth between mobile and desktop for this), some of the imgur links work fine, where others do not. Multiple picture imgur links appear to all be oversized on mobile, but single images are only sometimes over sized. My guess is the site is processing the direct link/image link codes differently? I'm not a web designer, so I could be way off, but that's where my brain goes with imgur supplying 5 different ways to link images off their site.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Anyway we could get the 'latest' ticker back on the right side of the main forum page instead of the 'trending' one that's there now?

Reactions: Goatee and Brude27

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
Looking further into it (I'm going back and forth between mobile and desktop for this), some of the imgur links work fine, where others do not. Multiple picture imgur links appear to all be oversized on mobile, but single images are only sometimes over sized. My guess is the site is processing the direct link/image link codes differently? I'm not a web designer, so I could be way off, but that's where my brain goes with imgur supplying 5 different ways to link images off their site.
Thank you for this info! You are likely at least partially correct insofar that Imgur has changed these embeds over time, and SFF.N has changed how we manage these over time as well. I'll have to look at examples to deduce the exact cause.

Anyway we could get the 'latest' ticker back on the right side of the main forum page instead of the 'trending' one that's there now?
The sidebar will be revamped pretty soon, so what's there now (including the Trending section) will change. Not sure yet about everything that will be included, though.

teodoro

Average Stuffer
Oct 8, 2018
Having the thread next/previous page buttons be at both the top and the bottom of the posts in mobile would be nice.

My followed thread alerts also seem a little wonky. I follow thread A, get a notification for new posts, and go read them. Later on I’ll be browsing the sub-forum that houses thread A and see there are new, unread posts but I’ve not gotten an alert. I will subsequently get alerts for thread A so it hasn’t been unfollowed. I haven’t yet seen a clear pattern but it’s happened a handful of times.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
My followed thread alerts also seem a little wonky. I follow thread A, get a notification for new posts, and go read them. Later on I’ll be browsing the sub-forum that houses thread A and see there are new, unread posts but I’ve not gotten an alert. I will subsequently get alerts for thread A so it hasn’t been unfollowed. I haven’t yet seen a clear pattern but it’s happened a handful of times.
Would you say there seems to be a delay in receiving alerts, or that you aren't being alerted for some things? Or is it hard to tell?

A small thing; would it be possible to sync the favicon color for users that have chosen the blue theme?
Yes, I will be addressing that at some point 🙂

Reactions: 1s44c and AlexTzone

Brude27

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 21, 2018
Would you say there seems to be a delay in receiving alerts, or that you aren't being alerted for some things? Or is it hard to tell?
I was having this problem pre-update as well, but have noticed it happening more often post-update. I don't know if there's any correlation to it, but I've observed that if I set too many threads to watch status, that I won't get alerts for all of them. That could be a coincidence, but once I stopped watching a few threads (lowering my overall watch count), all of a sudden my alerts were much higher in volume, and I didn't notice any new posts being missed. I unfortunately couldn't tell why certain threads weren't prompting alerts, though. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Elerek

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
I was having this problem pre-update as well, but have noticed it happening more often post-update. I don't know if there's any correlation to it, but I've observed that if I set too many threads to watch status, that I won't get alerts for all of them. That could be a coincidence, but once I stopped watching a few threads (lowering my overall watch count), all of a sudden my alerts were much higher in volume, and I didn't notice any new posts being missed. I unfortunately couldn't tell why certain threads weren't prompting alerts, though. I hope this helps.
We do have a cap on alerts implemented, so it may be at least partially explained by that, but I'll have to take a look.

On an unrelated note, just wanted to mention that I will be performing maintenance tonight from 21:00 to 22:30 EDT tonight. I don't expect to need all of that time, this is mostly just some housekeeping and a few specific features/regressions I've been working on but want to test a bit more.

Reactions: VegetableStu

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
Hey all,

Tonight's maintenance release is complete, and successful! This was actually a fairly rich release, but I wanted to flag some specific functionality that's now available immediately to users:
  • You can now draft a post in full-screen by clicking the rightmost icon in the post editor tool bar
  • You can now ignore threads or entire forums via a toggle at the top of a given forum/thread page
  • Threads with unread responses are now flagged as 'new' in thread lists, in much the same way that nodes and comments already are
  • Images in threads are now selectively 'lazily loaded', meaning that your device only downloads them if you scroll to see them, saving everyone some bandwidth and decreasing page load times
Thanks for your continued feedback. Let me know if you encounter any issues or have any questions.

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
Hmm... it looks like that, once connected with my account, I can only see the threads listing of the General subforum.
In all other subforums, the only thread I see is the Mission Statement and Rules one:

I did not use the 'Ignore forum' option, no filter specified as well. Clearing the browser cache does not help either.
This has been tested on Linux with Chromium and Firefox, and on Windows with Firefox and Opera.
I checked my account settings but did not see anything related to this behaviour.
Sorry if it's only me and I missed something...

If I log out, I can see all the threads listed.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
@BaK That's quite an odd behavior. What happens if you ignore and then unignore the forum?

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
I had the same idea, retried it once more but no luck, still nothing listed after the unignore.

As it seems to work for everyone but me, this must be linked to my preferences somewhere no?
Any clue where to look?

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
Nothing there.
The Users tab shows "You are not currently ignoring any members."
And both Thread and Forum tabs are empty. : (

I may already have encountered this on Monday afternoon European time, but I am not quite sure now.
I will try again later when back at home from work, who knows...

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Editorial Staff
Feb 22, 2015
@BaK Had you ignored anything on the forum before we performed the migration to XF 2? (So before the end of last month, when we made the first and largest changes to the forum).

When you load a thread list that's empty, can you open up the JS console in your web browser and share what you see? Any errors?

There really isn't anything in terms of permissions or otherwise that could cause this specific behavior, but I am not sure how to explain it quite yet. My apologies you've encountered this.

BaK

Airflow Optimizer
May 17, 2016
Same behavior at home while everything was working last Friday. Still not sure about Monday...
Also same behaviour on my brother's *caugh* iMac *caugh*, first time I had to touch it so no cache possibility! ;)

@BaK Had you ignored anything on the forum before we performed the migration to XF 2? (So before the end of last month, when we made the first and largest changes to the forum).
No, never ever used that option at all before the ignore/unignore test I did earlier today.

When you load a thread list that's empty, can you open up the JS console in your web browser and share what you see? Any errors?
On Win7 / Chrome:

Same for the 'All' tab, no error, only 200 status.

Dunno if that helps, but the two following entries are not showing up when I am not logged in and ask for a threads list (that does appear):
thread.min.js
prefix_menu.min.js

There really isn't anything in terms of permissions or otherwise that could cause this specific behavior, but I am not sure how to explain it quite yet. My apologies you've encountered this.
No problem, it's just weird! Especially if this is happening to me only...

I think the testing on different computers has ruled out the possibility of a browser problem, but will it help if I create a temporary new account and see how it goes?