The Mini Six

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
After nearly two years of constantly putting it off, I finally got around to building my PC. My wife pressured me into it because she got tired of seeing me postpone the build.

Parts:
i5-8400
Asrock Z370M-ITX/AC
Cryorig C7
Samsung SSD 950EVO 250GB
Inwin Chopin w/150w PSU

This was my first build and it was a doozy. First the cooler didn't want to go on right. It kept tilting and getting stuck on itself. I don't know if it was a mobo issue or a cooler problem. Finally got it on but then the IO shield kept falling out. After twenty minutes of dealing with that I had everything inside and ready to go, only to realize that I needed to route a cable to the back. After that issue I did a quick test, it posted fine.

Got it all setup, installed and going. Windows 10 installed and all.

Now I'm dealing with an audio issue that I'm pretty sure is a driver problem. I get audio if I plug into the computer (any headphone jack) but the HDMI isn't transmitting audio. Display works fine but no audio. So I'm still messing with that to figure out what's going on.

Photos of finished build:

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I wish my wife would pressure me into building systems. Don't let that one go, she's a keeper!
hah! No kidding.

So update. Lookin' like I got a faulty mobo, HDMI doesn't want to transmit audio whatsoever. Went ahead and ordered a different board and as soon as that one gets here this one is going back to Amazon.

This gives me a couple weeks to figure out how to underclock this CPU a bit so I can make sure I don't breach the PSU 150w limit.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
New motherboard comes in thursday, already took this one apart. I've had the computer shut off on me twice and I'm assuming it was drawing more power than the PSU could provide. So if I can't get this to work I may have to find a new case and buy a bigger PSU.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Update

New case, motherboard, and cooler came in. (NZXT H200i / Asus ROG Strix Z370 ITX / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3)
Bought a GPU (EVGA 1060 6GB SSC) after being pressured by wifey.

Started putting the build together, mostly to do a test fit and make sure everything fits. The Cooler gave me all sorts of problems so I ended up uninstalling it and cleaning the thermal paste off until I get the PSU on. I think if I decide to upgrade the cooling its going to be to a AIO, as my experience with air coolers has been eh so far. While dealing with the GPU I had to unplug it and plug it in several times because it seemed each time I forgot about a wire or something so I'm hoping I didn't ruin it by doing that. Obviously I'm going to be paranoid until I get it booted and going.

Waiting on PSU now, which is supposed to arrive Sunday. No idea when the GPU backplate is supposed to arrive so I don't know if I'm going to wait on it or install it and just do the backplate whenever it arrives.

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
It's surprising that the 150W PSU was not pushing enough juice to keep the system alive. The i5-8400 only has a 65W TDP. I don't see any other major component. Your system shouldn't have exceeded 100W full load.

Consider replacing the Chopin under warranty?