The mini pc setup

rawsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 24, 2018
I'm building a small pc for a friend. He moves around a lot, so I'm thinking dan a4 size or under (around 5 liters). He doesn't need much gpu power, just drive a display.

I'd like to create a setup so that the
  • Case
  • Portable monitor
  • Power brick
  • Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
can all fit in a tactik duffle. For the case I'm thinking Laser3d ht5 with l12s.

What CPU would you recommend? What GPU can I fit in an apu case / m.2 gpu? Any recommendations?

marui98

Cable Smoosher
Dec 3, 2018
Since your friend wants portability so much and does not require powerful hardware, might i suggest something like this? Keep in mind if you actually go with this you should also invest in a cooler that is <40mm in height. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...CfoZaQ&id=571416909587&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

As for CPU/motherboard wise you should definitely think somewhere along the lines of an APU, like a 2200g or a 2400g for more performance. Motherboard wise get a B350 if you want any overclocking or a lower end chipset if on a budget. The graphics power on those two is more than enough to drive a monitor and can run some games at 1080p 60fps on medium to low settings.

Reactions: el01

rawsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 24, 2018
Since your friend wants portability so much and does not require powerful hardware, might i suggest something like this? Keep in mind if you actually go with this you should also invest in a cooler that is <40mm in height. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...CfoZaQ&id=571416909587&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

As for CPU/motherboard wise you should definitely think somewhere along the lines of an APU, like a 2200g or a 2400g for more performance. Motherboard wise get a B350 if you want any overclocking or a lower end chipset if on a budget. The graphics power on those two is more than enough to drive a monitor and can run some games at 1080p 60fps on medium to low settings.

Thanks for the suggestion. However he does need CPU power, at least 6+ cores. I guess at this point the only option is intel since ryzen 7 doesn't have integrated graphics. (To be clear he works as a programmer, would be running linux, no games). I'm more worried about cooling than anything else with that kind of CPU.

marui98

Cable Smoosher
Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion. However he does need CPU power, at least 6+ cores. I guess at this point the only option is intel since ryzen 7 doesn't have integrated graphics. (To be clear he works as a programmer, would be running linux, no games). I'm more worried about cooling than anything else with that kind of CPU.

Hmm, I'm out of the loop for linux, but I can't help but wonder what kind of processes in Linux require 6+ cores? Damn. Anyway yup, sounds like Ryzen is a no-go. You could look at the i7 8700k or the 9700k. If he's worried about cooling/wattage issues then probably you should get him a non-k variant with a basic chipset motherboard to go with them.