Stalled The ]M[ - Versatile: modular SFF casing from console size to much more

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi All,

Welcome to the updated version of ]M[ casing:

the casing is modular in a way that it can change its capabilities by housing not only an itx MB but also a Micro-ATX and also occupying dual full-length GPUs in an 11.8 Liter size (a first I believe):

the sizes that this case can be configured for are:
6L, 6.7L, 11.8L and 13.3L

this gives lots of options and configurations for the system. of course water-cooling is supported.

MicroATX Dual GPU

100mm Aircooler height support.

top to bottom: 11.8, 6, 6.7, 13.3

Two main colors for the casing, Black (Dark gray) and White

Black version

White version

I can't tell you all how excited I am now whilst typing this. I really hope my vision goes some where. I hope you also like it.

More details are coming with both renders and possible configs.

Please go through the comments to see the progress of this casing design.

Pricing will be released in the next two weeks. I did wanted to provide it earlier but I just need to finish the design overall.

I am planning to go on a funding campaign (kickstarter or Indiegogo)

Please give me your comments. negative or positive.

thank you.

Have a look at the earlier version below for more details on the console size (6.7L).
Hi All,

My name is Marwan,

I have been working on a casing design for ITX pc with emphasis on the gaming aspect. after countless hours and a period of about 10 months, I believe that now I can share with you my design.

The design (at least to my eyes XD) is rather unique and different with lots of aesthetic and functional elements. below is the info-graphic that describes the main features of the casing:

The chassis is 4 mm thick CNC machined Aluminum that is also semi-uni-body. the doors are laser cut stainless steel. the prototype I ordered will have bushed doors. powder coating is under consideration.

Pricing is under estimation. I am currently waiting for the prototype which should arrive by early march.

Update 1: More renders added to describe the layout in-case it was not clear in the info-graphic above:

The PCIE riser will be hidden between the motherboard and the motherboard plate

As you can see there are two 60 mm fan models below, My intention is make the option of adding 4 60 mm fans, however, there might be only place for 10mm thick 60mm fans near the HDMI pass through cables.

one more render for the HDMI pass-through and the back of the PSU

The beauty of this layout is it allows the PSU to be fitted at the back of the casing so that there is no need re-route of the PSU cable.

Some would argue that the GPU layout requires ports re-routing (passing-through cables), that's true but it adds to the casing functionality by having ports close to the front of the casing for different applications such as VR.

I would really really like to hear your thoughts and your constructive feedback negative or positive.

The next update is when the prototype model arrives.

Thank you for the time you spent reading the post.

Last edited:

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Reserved for future Updates.

Update 1: modular design, various casing sizes.

Update 2: 6 L config renders, 6.7 L configs renders , 11.8 L configurations (3 configs).

next step:

pricing estimation to be finalized with machining service.

website for ordering.

publish the design to other platforms and social media.

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hey Marwan, I like your design.

Just one question. Is is safe to bend the PCIe riser to 90 degree like that? I would like to see what other people say about it, as I'm not sure.
This is what I mean:

Apart from that, nice work ;)

Cheers!

Reactions: yawacool

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hey Marwan, I like your design.

Just one question. Is is safe to bend the PCIe riser to 90 degree like that? I would like to see what other people say about it, as I'm not sure.
This is what I mean:

Apart from that, nice work ;)

Cheers!
Hay Bernardo,

Actually I didn't consider this design if I haven't tested with a riser ribbon cable.

It is actually possible as long as it is a high quality riser cable. I will attach a current photo to show you my current test build soon. :)

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hello All,

It has been a while since the last reply to this project. The prototype as you can deduct has been delayed because of some manufacturing issues. they have been resolved and the part are currently being anodized/brushed.

If you do have more comments on the design please let me know. thanks a lot.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
An extremely early sneak peak of the Aluminum shell and the brushed doors (door in this photo :)) the aluminum shell has not yet been sandblasted nor anodized in these photos.

The door.

The Shell. the photo came straight from my machining service. it doesn't tell much. I only want to keep you guys as updated as possible.

I will more updates once I have the complete build. stay tuned ;).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Wow, that outer shell is a lot beefier than I was expecting! You might need to be wary of the bends 'squeezing' material out at the insides of the corners, that could result in the side panels failing to sit flush with the edges of the chassis.

Reactions: Marwan

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Wow, that outer shell is a lot beefier than I was expecting! You might need to be wary of the bends 'squeezing' material out at the insides of the corners, that could result in the side panels failing to sit flush with the edges of the chassis.

That was my first concern when I got the images so I asked them about it and they grind those extra protrusions. waiting for the finished one.

Reactions: EdZ

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Yet another fantastic case thread that I missed! :\
Well done Marwan! :thumb:

Openings for GPU passthrough HDMI/DisplayPort Output

I am working on something similar and also plan on using low profile angled video connectors, such as this HDMI one:

But so far, I can not find any angled DisplayPort adapter.

Could please elaborate how you plan to re-route the DisplayPort?

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Yet another fantastic case thread that I missed! :\
Well done Marwan! :thumb:

I am working on something similar and also plan on using low profile angled video connectors, such as this HDMI one:

But so far, I can not find any angled DisplayPort adapter.

Could please elaborate how you plan to re-route the DisplayPort?
Thanks a lot for your kind words

As for the display ports I will try to post some options but they are not very common. For now HDMI is most supported.

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
I think you need to check obstruct between GPU power connector and frame, bending the riser may cause damage after long time using.
Design to use standard GPU is not good idea because it's not popular in market.

Reactions: Phuncz