The "FN-2187" Build, Phase 2! Update 5/21

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
After my initial assembly of the computer as seen here, a lot has happened! I had detailed some of it in the modding forum with this post about the fan mod I was undertaking, and you all helped me with picking out designs in regards to that mod here with the fan tray, and here with the fan grill. I still have to get the fan grill cut/ordered as well as a couple of other things to help dress up the interior a bit more, but here is the progress thus far since phase 1.

CableMod custom cables came in today, as you can see here. I also moved the hard drives to the bottom as the fan tray at the top meant I had to eliminate the bracket that held the 1 TB HDD. I also 3D printed a back cover for that drive so that it matched more with the rest of the theme/decor and purchased 12" rounded SATA cables so that they would run behind things better and have less extra slack. Because I moved the bracket, the fan module also moved and is now secured to the back of the front panel with heavy duty Velcro.

Another shot of the interior, you can kind of see the fan tray in this pic

better shot of the fan tray. With the short video card, the air circulates really well to the CPU.

Cutout on the top with the two fans. I swear I did not arrange the fans that way for the picture, it just turned out that way lol. I have tabs printed to glue on to the grill so that it just pops in to place without any screw holes. I also picked up some AC filter material for a dust filter. It is a little over 2mm thick and was $2 at Lowe's for 15" x 24". Better price than anything else and should be effective enough.

And now a couple of pics buttoned up

You can see I used thumbscrews to close up the side. Don't know if I will keep them there permanently, but I have been opening the side a lot so they are there for now for convenience. Also, not that you can really tell, but did get a USB 3.0 header extender to move the cables behind the PSU and out of the way. Almost forgot to mention that. So, from the original list, here is what is left that I will/may still do:
  • Fan Grill (obviously XD) with a couple other things
  • A second RAM module (for 16GB total)
  • aftermarket cooler (Open to suggestions, might go with Noctua NH-L12S, which would cover up red MOBO heatsinks)
  • RGB LED lighting (I like it, I don't care :p)
  • custom IO shield sticker or something to make it all black
  • possibly eliminating red on the mobo heatsinks (if necessary)
  • full window side (which would come last for obvious reasons)
Thanks for looking. Any and all comments and suggestions welcome.

NChiladas

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 31, 2017
Nice build! I love the case in white. I built a $150 PC in that case a couple years ago. Still going strong running my drum software in the basement, although the donor 7850 I baked back to life has since died again.

I was going to use the Metis for my current build but decided WE MUST GO SMALLER

Reactions: jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Nice build! I love the case in white. I built a $150 PC in that case a couple years ago. Still going strong running my drum software in the basement, although the donor 7850 I baked back to life has since died again.

I was going to use the Metis for my current build but decided WE MUST GO SMALLER

I certainly like the look of the smaller cases but I'm going for a more modest, middle of the road budget. Hence the reusing of drives, Ryzen cpu, and second hand GPU along with the inexpensive Metis. If I had money to burn, it certainly would be in a DAN or Louqe case, or something similar.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Update:

So, laser cut acrylic came in and the top fan grill is done. I was able to glue 3D printed tabs to get the grill to clip in (with some re-gluing necessary due to impatience). I also added AC filter as a dust filter ($2 at home depot for 15"x24" size!) glued to the underneath in spots. Not the best picture, but will get some good pics soon

Also added the Cryorig M9a cpu cooler that was on sale for a stupid low $17.99 on Newegg, and, from research, did almost as well as the H7 in cooling for half the price. Along with the fan grill, I had some pieces cut to make a shroud of sorts for the non-sleeved cabling up front to make it neater.

Was able to overclock to a modest 4 GHz with the cooler and not up the temps from the stock cooler, which is good. I am playing around with fan curves to make it a little better temp wise, but pretty happy thus far.

Reactions: confusis and JamJam

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Final update for a bit! I got around to making a new side panel (came out OK, but for $6 in materials, I can't complain) which makes the window bigger and I added (dun dun dun) RGB LEDs to it to project light onto the hardware. The lighting is actually pretty nice, and came with a cool side effect of lighting up the fan grill/mesh on top. I will let the pics do the talking now.

I currently have the lights a bit lower on the brightness scale to save my retinas, but I am pretty happy overall with the look.

Reactions: Phuncz and Choidebu