Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Some news about the batch.

We have received all the mechanical parts and are missing this one:
- some risers (for who want to mount "non compatible" GPU). But we have few of them already.
- AMD GPU mounting fixture
- AMD CPU mounting fixture are in transit from France to Belgium
- final cardboard (next week)

So right now our main jobs are to:
- arrange all the parts and organize the lab
- check quality and default --> We had minor issue (holes for SSD mounting) and had to do again some painting job with local supplier.
- We will also take some parts to the painter to remove some scratch

After that, thermal test and assembly to pack the case will be done.

We already apologise for the delay but we are doing our best with all the work still needed. Our night is already yours ;)

Some pictures to come. We need first to clean up the "lab".

Reactions: ckychris and Kooki

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Would this chassis be able to handle a stock 9900K and 2080 Ti without undervolting? I think that's definitely a test configuration that many people will be interested in seeing to understand the thermal limits of this chassis. The 8700K and 1080 or 2070 testing provide an OK "average case", but I'd definitely love to understand the absolute limits of this chassis before putting down serious money.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
FWIW my overclocked 9900K (5.0 GHz All Core @ 1.35v) and stock 2080 Ti (130% power limit) easily exceed 500W TDP when playing BFV.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
FWIW my overclocked 9900K (5.0 GHz All Core @ 1.35v) and stock 2080 Ti (130% power limit) easily exceed 500W TDP when playing BFV.

500W !!! This is huge and is definitely not possible in Fanless mode. Honestly I don't even know if we can achieve good temperatures with Fans at 100%.

If I have the chance to have such components I will let you know what happens.

Reactions: Nord1ing and xSDMx

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Status update on 21/01

Missing parts
- AMD GPU mounting fixture
- final cardboard tomorrow
- Painting almost done. I will bring back first pcs by tomorrow.

So right now our main jobs are:
- thermal test of the cooling
- Finalise packaging
- assembly to pack the case
- Some movies to show you how to assemble that specific case.

Now some pictures

CES - Desert testing & the booth

Link to cowcotland:
Reception of some parts and painting at local partners facility.

Have a good day,

Last edited:

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Do you know when the version with the 200mm fan will be avalible ? :-)

We will deliver first batch and after that we need somes days to finalize and launch the part and other options. I think that you will have pictures soon ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoshikan

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Yeahe, I was having a little adventure today of my own. Trying to do a heat transfer simulation using SimScale. Found out that it wasn't easy at all. Anyway, just wanted to know if the heatsink on the first was 3 times taller, what kind of heat can it handle?

Image of a stupid design I made in minutes. XD

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello @ckychris
Hopefully this is not easy otherwise I won't have a job ;)
Thanks for the link of simscale, I think I will try this software as I had never heard about it. Any idea about the price ?

What was your idea regarding the fins shape ?

In order to design a heatsink there is several parameters that need to be optimized. In the case of "The First" fins pitch and thickness are optimized for natural convection (0% fan) and regarding the global volume we wanted.
In that case, increasing the wolume by 3 won't result in having 3 times more power. After some time all the air is hot and fins can't echange heat anymore. Please see a run made on "The First" heatsink.

But for sure you will have more power !! Maybe 2 times !!??...

So why I'm not considering it for an ATX extreme solution ? Because you need to tranfert heat from the component to the fins.
Commonly for non water solution as in "The First" we use heat pipes. They have limitations regarding length of transporation.
As you certainly know they need a good balance between power, length, shape & gravity.
--> In our case (6mm heat pipes) it would be really difficult to have 200mm more...

Don't worry, we have other ideas ;)

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Hello @ckychris
Hopefully this is not easy otherwise I won't have a job ;)
Thanks for the link of simscale, I think I will try this software as I had never heard about it. Any idea about the price ?

Not cheap. Probably more than $2000 yearly at basic usage. However, there is a 14 days free trial that can be play around with. I find it extremely easy to begin with.

Hello @ckychris
What was your idea regarding the fins shape ?

I was thinking if there is any ways to increase heat transfer from fins to air, by using wavey fins to increase surface area. (Probably expensive)

Hello @ckychris
In order to design a heatsink there is several parameters that need to be optimized. In the case of "The First" fins pitch and thickness are optimized for natural convection (0% fan) and regarding the global volume we wanted.
In that case, increasing the wolume by 3 won't result in having 3 times more power. After some time all the air is hot and fins can't echange heat anymore. Please see a run made on "The First" heatsink.

But for sure you will have more power !! Maybe 2 times !!??...

So why I'm not considering it for an ATX extreme solution ? Because you need to tranfert heat from the component to the fins.
Commonly for non water solution as in "The First" we use heat pipes. They have limitations regarding length of transporation.
As you certainly know they need a good balance between power, length, shape & gravity.
--> In our case (6mm heat pipes) it would be really difficult to have 200mm more...

Don't worry, we have other ideas ;)

Other ideas... That's awesome!

So it's all about moving the air in the right place. If the first must scale vertically, maybe something like this?

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
I was thinking if there is any ways to increase heat transfer from fins to air, by using wavey fins to increase surface area. (Probably expensive)

You are definitely right ! This is a good option and can significantly increase the performance.
However for our first product this was tricky to manufacture and to be sure to "finish" something we decided to choose the "smoothest" way ;)

Regarding the last picture I think I may understand your idea.
The goal is to remove the heat on the side to avoid heating up the fins that is over ? Right ?
This is a good idea and that would help to have fresh air for all the fins surface.
It reminds me something few years ago ....