The First - A case build / mod

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I wasn't sure if there would be too much interest in this given its much more of a case build at this stage, but there will be some modding later on down the line (although as we have just sold our house and work is a bit allover the place the modding might be a bit later down the line).

Anyway, this log is about a monsterlabo case called a bit confusingly "The First". Its a small form factor case (coming in just under 19L), taking a m-ITX motherboard, large GPU's and supporting up to a ATX PSU's.

After speaking with Nicolas (@yeahe - ML ) over the past couple of weeks he supplied me with a "second" case which contains components returned from reviewers for a reduced cost. Additionally he sent me some extra parts I will use for a mod later down the line.

The case uses heat pipes to transfer the CPU and GPU chip heat into a large "fin stack". It can be run passively up to around 200W but given I plan to use a RTX 2080 and i5-9600k, I will be using a single 140mm Noctua fan to help air flow.

Given other stuff going on, I'm reusing parts I already have, so rather than buying a new passive PSU, I will be using a Corsair SFF 450W PSU I have in my spares bin.

The imgur gallery is here for more pictures:

The build was complicated by a lack of a real manual, however several build videos are available from monsterlabo and given I have a bit of experience of passive builds, I came across nothing so far that caused an issue.

The key thing is the temperatures and noise: I ran the build open on the bench and looped a couple of Time-Spy's to get a (non-Soak) set of temps.

CPU - Mid 50's C and GPU getting to 59C. There is no underclock / undervolt just standard bios settings for both board and GPU.

140 fan running but barely audible.

Overall I'm really pleased. If people are interested (as this is a bit different from the standard pc cases we tend to use) I can post some more pictures / details as I add the panels back in and do some soak tests.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Dude, awesome!

A beefy finstack like that is a great reason for the case to be 'huge'!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Totally, it’s really nice. More testing after playing around for an hour or so.

30 mins furmark gives a stabilised gpu temp of 67c pulling around 210w on just the GPU, cpu with prime95 for 30 mins give 73c pulling around 105w. Values from hwinfo64.

Fan at 900rpm (which is barely audible) with case open. I would imagine almost silent ugh case sides on.

I think I need to do a combined test and maybe fully rebuild it to get the wind tunnel effect.

Reactions: Curiosity

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I'm thinking about swapping the PSU out (maybe using a HDPLEX combo or flex ATX) and putting a Noctua 200mm fan in the bottom.

With the noctua 140mm fan @ 1000rpm, I did a Burn test last night. Fully assembled with case shell and meshed top fitted. CPU hit 91c (110w) and GPU got to 75c (210w) both temps stable based on 30 min combined fully synthetic burn using Furmark and Prime95 combined run. Total power at the wall was 350w using a Corsair gold 450w SFF PSU. So much worse than any real life situation.