Completed DSE Breathe - A 7.3L Vertical Format ITX Tower

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Seems like you're set on the design, its not bad by any means, I was more concerned about the actual hole size. For reference, I'm looking at dan case, cerberus, and ncase m1, they all utilize smalller and more condensed hole vents, which imo looks more polished.

Curious about the breathe x, would it be wider or have have more depth(front to back), besides being taller?

I thought my hole pattern was pretty much identical to the Cerberus, which is what I was sort of trying to go for. Perhaps the holes on the Cerberus appear smaller because it's a larger case than mine? I'll do a render with some 6mm holes in a few minutes and tell me what you think of it.

Yes, it would have more front-back depth and be taller.

Reactions: KSliger

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I thought my hole pattern was pretty much identical to the Cerberus, which is what I was sort of trying to go for. Perhaps the holes on the Cerberus appear smaller because it's a larger case than mine? I'll do a render with some 6mm holes in a few minutes and tell me what you think of it.

Yes, it would have more front-back depth and be taller.

Oh really? The same? I guess i should see the cerberus in person first, imo it seems the holes on your v2 design were much bigger than other circular vent patterns I've seen. I'll append my opinion then, maybe you could still make the holes slightly smaller? haha

Reactions: DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Oh really? The same? I guess i should see the cerberus in person first, imo it seems the holes on your v2 design were much bigger than other circular vent patterns I've seen. I'll append my opinion then, maybe you could still make the holes slightly smaller? haha

Yep. I mean the holes are 7mm, same width as the staggered slots.

Here's the render. 6.25mm holes spaced closer together. I don't know. This looks weird. Like really weird. It doesn't fit right.

The reasons I'm hesitant to make the holes smaller and space them closer together is:
1. The pattern formed by smaller holes won't fit right on v2. I'd have to change the dimensions of the case for a different vent pattern to fit properly.
2. It increases the number of punches that have to be done on each panel.
3. It would make the panel weaker in regards to resisting dents.

KDaddy

Cable Smoosher
Jun 22, 2017
Just curious, would you guys be interested in the Breathe (or a separate variation of the Breathe) being a tad bit larger for support for larger CPU coolers?

Because I was messing around last night and I think I might have stumbled upon two new case ideas.

First one is pretty similar to the current Breathe, except the I/O and power are at the bottom (cable haters rejoice) and it supports larger CPU coolers.

The second one is bigger. I/O and power are also at the bottom. Compatible with graphics cards 2.5 slots thick. Water cooling capable. This one would be about ~10.5L for reference. A Breathe X?

I feel like the first one holds more promise.

I'm working on the models right now, so I'll have some renders out when I'm done.

VERY INTERESTED in the larger case. One to fit my 2.5 slot strix 1080ti and potential watercooling and bottom IO would be PERFECT!

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Just curious, would you guys be interested in the Breathe (or a separate variation of the Breathe) being a tad bit larger for support for larger CPU coolers?

Because I was messing around last night and I think I might have stumbled upon two new case ideas.

First one is pretty similar to the current Breathe, except the I/O and power are at the bottom (cable haters rejoice) and it supports larger CPU coolers.

The second one is bigger. I/O and power are also at the bottom. Compatible with graphics cards 2.5 slots thick. Water cooling capable. This one would be about ~10.5L for reference. A Breathe X?

I feel like the first one holds more promise.

I'm working on the models right now, so I'll have some renders out when I'm done.

Yes to having the I/O and power cable on the same side! Not sure about the Breathe X personally as I like smaller cases, but this probably just comes down to personal preference (a la Cerberus vs Cerberus X).

Also in my opinion the size of the Cerberus style vents you shipped out with v1 looked fine. I think utility should take precedence here though; whichever vent size/style that gives the greatest cooling performance relative to cost is the one I would prefer (side note: does software exist that allow you to simulate airflow with CAD renders?)

Last edited:

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Yes to having the I/O and power cable on the same side! Not sure about the Breathe X personally as I like smaller cases, but this probably just comes down to personal preference (a la Cerberus vs Cerberus X).

Also in my opinion the size of the Cerberus style vents you shipped out with v1 looked fine. I think utility should take precedence here though; whichever vent size/style that gives the greatest cooling performance relative to cost is the one I would prefer (side note: does software exist that allow you to simulate airflow with CAD renders?)
Yep, there's Autodesk CFD. I need to learn how to use it though.

Reactions: renecop545

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
Yes. I would like to order this case :D Excited to see when the website or etc is up. So far the order form is closed.

Also would like to know if the slot version is available. Circles are fine though!

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
Questions - is powdercoating a clearcoat onto sandblasted steel an option? Also, is 50mm a definite "hard stop" on the CPU cooler height? Out of curiosity, what is the absolute tallest cooler that will fit - assuming the fins/fan are directly against the cover (±1mm) - noise not being an issue? Thanks! Excited to when I can put an order in.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Yes. I would like to order this case :D Excited to see when the website or etc is up. So far the order form is closed.

Also would like to know if the slot version is available. Circles are fine though!
Slots not available, at least for now.
Questions - is powdercoating a clearcoat onto sandblasted steel an option? Also, is 50mm a definite "hard stop" on the CPU cooler height? Out of curiosity, what is the absolute tallest cooler that will fit - assuming the fins/fan are directly against the cover (±1mm) - noise not being an issue? Thanks! Excited to when I can put an order in.
I'd have to talk to @KSliger about doing something custom like that (I'm actually interested in bare steel/clearcoat myself). Yes, 50mm is the absolute hard limit.

can i order this case now..?!
Soon. The new cases should be ready for ordering in less than a month.

Last edited:

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
Soon. The new cases should be ready for ordering in less than a month.

Can't wait. Haven't been this excited about a new case in a whlie.

CPU cooler compatibility: 50mm max height
Graphics card compatibility: 309.1mm max length (from outside face of PCI-E bracket to end), 45.6mm max width, 152.2mm max height (from bottom of PCI-E fingers to top)

Are these still the most updated compatibility #s?

Also, I recall that you'd partnered with someone to include risers with the case. Is that still the case (ha!), or do we need to buy one separately?

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
Awesome! Thanks for the update.

vegan - last update on page 11 says the increased height results in GPU clearance increasing to 322.1mm. CPU clearance is still the same in the post just above yours.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Can't wait. Haven't been this excited about a new case in a whlie.

Are these still the most updated compatibility #s?

Also, I recall that you'd partnered with someone to include risers with the case. Is that still the case (ha!), or do we need to buy one separately?
Nope, max graphics card length increased to 322.1mm in v2, as @myfirstpcyay has said.
Yep, I'm still partnered with Li-Heat. Just ordered the risers last night.

I hope DAN HSLP-48 will be compatible with Breathe.
lol I hope so too.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Dan's been mum on the heatsink for a while so he's probably busy with the A4 v3 launch and the the C4-SFX. Unfortunately I think it might take a while before we see this hit the market :eek:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Activity on this threads been a little low, was really looking forward to seeing other people builds.

Been over a few months since getting this case, and I'm still loving it. Thought I'd share a few tweaks that might come in handy to a few.

I installed a 90mm slim noctua fan on the side blowing outwards, its attached with just the included rubber plugs that hang onto the frame itself. I've set it to run constantly at 1100rpm, just to help the gpu get a few heat out faster from the bottom.

Also used a stick on rubber cable organizer at the top in the back, great way of arranging cables and keeping clutter to a minimum.

Otherwise, still a big fan of this case. Looking forward to v2, and hopefully more build posts and shares.

***EDIT don't know why post is showing broken images, hopefully it works lol

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Activity on this threads been a little low, was really looking forward to seeing other people builds.

Been over a few months since getting this case, and I'm still loving it. Thought I'd share a few tweaks that might come in handy to a few.

I installed a 90mm slim noctua fan on the side blowing outwards, its attached with just the included rubber plugs that hang onto the frame itself. I've set it to run constantly at 1100rpm, just to help the gpu get a few heat out faster from the bottom.

Also used a stick on rubber cable organizer at the top in the back, great way of arranging cables and keeping clutter to a minimum.

Otherwise, still a big fan of this case. Looking forward to v2, and hopefully more build posts and shares.

***EDIT don't know why post is showing broken images, hopefully it works lol
Thanks for the bump, @gunpalcyril. Yes, the images are working lol, great modifications. Also really appreciate the Reddit post, seems like a lot more people like this form factor than I thought.

Sorry about the inactivity, just been busy doing the ordering of stuff for batch 2; I sent the case files over to Sliger and I'll be receiving the risers from Li-Heat on Monday. Also been working really hard on something that I'm hoping to reveal very soon ;).