News [TH] Silverstone outs Thin m-ITX case

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I got the press release and was going to write up something but I saw on /r/sffpc that this is just the PT13 except now it comes with a 120W brick.

There's no room for an expansion card though so I seriously question why SilverStone felt the need to bundle a 120W AC adapter. If you use a CPU requiring anywhere near that much power with a heatsink that short you're going to have problems :p

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
It's a great little case, they look even better in the flesh. Now they're including a power supply it's just 1 less thing to think about, so thumbs up from me!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I got the press release and was going to write up something but I saw on /r/sffpc that this is just the PT13 except now it comes with a 120W brick.

There's no room for an expansion card though so I seriously question why SilverStone felt the need to bundle a 120W AC adapter. If you use a CPU requiring anywhere near that much power with a heatsink that short you're going to have problems :p

It's more that Intel specifies it. Considering my Akasa passive case also came with a 120W brick.
They are talking about AIO so I'm assuming the power budget includes the screen itself, but it seems Silverstone took the safe route.

Here's a snippet from the Thin-ITX design guide:
An external AC adapter is envisioned for operation of a Thin Mini-ITX based AIO
system. The output of the adapter is dependent on the overall power of the system as
determined from the desired feature set. The external AC adapter output will vary
from approximately 100W to an Atom based system to over 200W for a 65W feature
rich system design.
AIO systems utilizing 35W, 45W and 65W Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge processors would
likely use AC adapters with power rating ranging from 120W to 150W, depending on
system-level power budget. Cedar Trail based systems would likely use 90W to 120W
AC adapters, depending on system-level power budget. AC adapters for SFF chassis
that do not use internal flat panel displays may be 20-30W lower in power output.

Reactions: Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That seems more than likely.
An LVDS and backlight connector are required (with eDP having a prescribed location but only being recommended), and the board also has to provide power for as many disk drives as can be connected to the board (2 seems to be the most common number).

On a side note, it'd be kinda neat if there were a think mini-ITX case with an AC-DC converter that can provided 19V DC to the internal header on the motherboard. I'm sure they don't do it for certification reasons, though.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
That seems more than likely.
An LVDS and backlight connector are required (with eDP having a prescribed location but only being recommended), and the board also has to provide power for as many disk drives as can be connected to the board (2 seems to be the most common number).

On a side note, it'd be kinda neat if there were a think mini-ITX case with an AC-DC converter that can provided 19V DC to the internal header on the motherboard. I'm sure they don't do it for certification reasons, though.

Yeah that would make sense with EMI, but most internal AC-DC converters tend to be completely encased in metal so that shouldn't be as big of an issue.
Although in the case of Thin ITX what would be the point of bringing it internally, if only to not have to haul 2 seperate parts around?