Feb 12, 2016
Specifications (according to Tesla Motors and the EPA):
Safety rating: 5-star in all categories
Range: 346 km/215 M (EPA)
0-97 km/h: >6 s
Seats: 5 adults
Autopilot: Y
Supercharging: Y

More information and the video unveiling here: https://www.teslamotors.com/model3

What do you all think? Is this another big step (aside from autonomous transport trucks) into the future whether envisioned by Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, or similar?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I mean, if I was in the market for a car in that price vicinity, I'd probably get it. But I'm a recent college grad who uses public transportation for everything, so...

(I'd pay to not own a car where I live, Boston streets and traffic are just the worst)

It seems like a very good value for what it is, but $35,000 is decidedly on the expensive end for most people.

The problem with the Model 3 is that TESLA is about to hit the 200K tax rebate limit. So without the $7,500 tax credit, for me it is a much less enticing package

You mean, they can only extend the rebate to 200,000 customers? Is the $35,000 price tag pre or post rebate?

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
You mean, they can only extend the rebate to 200,000 customers? Is the $35,000 price tag pre or post rebate?

Correct, the government tax incentive covers the first 200,000 electric cars sold by each manufacturer. TESLA is roughly on pace to hit that number towards the end of this year. There is a chance some Day 1 Model 3 owners will still be able to get a discount, but most won't.

The car is listed at $35,000 pre incentive from what I can tell.

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
"[We] will produce more Lithium-Ion Batteries than all Factories in the world combined."

Holy fucking shit.

EDIT: Watched the video to the end now and damn is that a nice car. No way I could buy it, but a few family members are in the market for a new car, so maybe I'll actually get to drive one in the future :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I also forgot to mention the KIA Soul EV. I'll probably just add the link here or create another thread for it as it is a rather interesting EV in its own right.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I plan to get a Model 3, but I'll wait for a second or third year model. I don't mind being an early adopter for computer components but I'm not keen on dealing with 1st-gen issues on a $35,000+ vehicle.

I'm thinking of getting a matte blue wrap for it though because the matte black one just looks gorgeous.

Edit: like this

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
From my ubderstanding, don't the battery packs need to be replaced at 70k-100k miles in most electric/hybrid cars, with a heft price tag of a $3-4K USD?

I wouldn't mind I guess, but I try to spend less than $15k on cars/trucks so I don't know if I'll ever get one.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I wouldn't mind I guess, but I try to spend less than $15k on cars/trucks so I don't know if I'll ever get one.

I've had the luxury of being able to spend 0, but if I had to own a car, I'd stick with something cheap too.

Honestly, as much as I'd enjoy owning a Tesla, I have so many other priorities than a nice car that I'd have to have some pretty serious income before I sprung for one. But I think for people who really like cars, or EVs in particular, it's a compelling buy. $35,000 is pretty affordable luxury in the auto market.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
From my ubderstanding, don't the battery packs need to be replaced at 70k-100k miles in most electric/hybrid cars, with a heft price tag of a $3-4K USD?
In my country, the Toyota hybrids have a 5 year / 100.000km warranty as standard, and 10 years on the drivetrain battery. The chief technician at my dealer, which is trustworthy and family-owned, hasn't ever had to replace a customer's drivetrain battery the last time I asked (2 years ago). I can't speak for other brands though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ah you meant that they lose some of their capacity after an amount of time or recharge cycles, depending on the weather. But you don't need to change them because of that. But you can offset the price of getting a new pack installed by the amount of money you saved charging it. The US prices are different and you'll probably know better than I could, but in my region it makes sense:

Let's say 100,000 miles = 160.000 kilometers
Super 95 (95 octane) is around 1,20 € per liter here
A 2016 Ford Mondeo (or Fusion in US) 2.0 EcoBoost has a Combined consumption of 7.3 L per 100 km (0.073 L per 1 km)
So 160.000 km * 0.073 L = 11.680 liters of fuel
Which makes 11.680 L * 1.20 € = 14.016 €

Calculating how much you'd spend on electricity will vary a lot on how you procure your energy and how much you depend on it for other usage (heating, cooking, cleaning, etc.) but let's say you'd spend half versus a full tank of gas, you'd still have 7.000€ for a new battery pack. Here in Belgium, most people who personally own a car (not company lease) won't do more than 15.000 km a year (~9,000 mi) because you can drive from our East to West borders with around 250 km (~155 mi) and North to South with around 280 km (~175 mi), so 160.000 km is about 10 years of usage for us.

So to me in my situation, it sounds reasonable.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Honestly, as much as I'd enjoy owning a Tesla, I have so many other priorities than a nice car that I'd have to have some pretty serious income before I sprung for one. But I think for people who really like cars, or EVs in particular, it's a compelling buy. $35,000 is pretty affordable luxury in the auto market.

Exactly. If I had 35,000$, I'd be doing all sorts of stuff EXCEPT buying a brand-new car. The "Freedom to go everywhere", as Elon Musk put it, gets very relative once you're stuck in traffic for 2 hours. The only real freedom to go everywhere is by foot and bike, though it takes you forever to get anywhere remote.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think I'd get a Jaguar XE 2.0T for about the same price, but maybe by the next generation I'd jump on a Model 3. I'm excited about the car, just not sure I'd want to plunk down so much cash on their first accessible model. Fortunately I don't get paid enough to actually have the cash to plunk down so it's easy to say this :D