Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
What's everyones thoughts on removing the bottom black "band" around the lower 2" of the case?

I think dropping it will give a more clean minimalist look, also knocks ~$10 off the price.

Any opinions on the placement of the power switch?

Wil get some pictures done of the internals later this week. Basically sides are intakes, rear is exhaust, cables come out a gap in the rear top.

Reactions: 1s44c and ChrisMCP

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
I like the idea to remove any extras at the bottom. Also intrested in bare allimunium mac finish the most with maybe black top with no IO of any kind but the power button. S1/sidearmed/V6 N1 did it and that's how it should be in 2019 - all those ugly ports have no place anywhere in front (.... or side).

I really like the design, reminds me of now discontinued Jonsbo VR1 but without glass and USB and with proper 3 slot GPU support (it also had 170mm ATX support btw). Also those 360 are gonna be awesome for 16 core ryzens come September.

I think you have a hit on your hands right there, which I'll gladly buy!

Last edited:

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
What's everyones thoughts on removing the bottom black "band" around the lower 2" of the case?

I think dropping it will give a more clean minimalist look, also knocks ~$10 off the price.

Any opinions on the placement of the power switch?

Wil get some pictures done of the internals later this week. Basically sides are intakes, rear is exhaust, cables come out a gap in the rear top.
I think it totally should come off, you are kind of forced to have something to match around that aesthetic, meanwhile if it is off it has a minimalistic look that fits anywhere.

Exactly as the first render of this page, is literally amazing looking.

A question, could we choose a different vent pattern? I for one would like to see something different.

Reactions: ChrisMCP

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
What was the initial reason for the bottom black "band"? Break up the panels for a contrasting look instead of single colour (Similar to the MonsterLabo First) or to ease lifting the side panels by elevating them 2" above the surface the tower is sitting on (less likely to scratch the desk given it's raised)? I don't mind either way, just curious. As for the power switch placement I think you did the best job you could. It matches your case lineup. Instantly recognisable as a Sliger case imo.

I like what you are doing with the SV590 and SV540. Although I personally would like to see a future revision (that would cost more, given the current design looks to me like it's designed to be cost efficient to manufacture) where the side panels can be lifted off easily like the Phanteks Shift (that was the only thing I liked about the Shift. With the current design I would have to rotate the case in order to remove the side panels with a screwdriver everytime I want to clean the dust. Your design is much better optimised for airflow, reduced wasted space and additional room for storage).
I'm leaning more towards the SV540 given it would be lighter and for me, easier to unscrew the side panels for dust cleaning.

Starts at 3:06 showing how the panels slide up

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I think it totally should come off, you are kind of forced to have something to match around that aesthetic, meanwhile if it is off it has a minimalistic look that fits anywhere.

Exactly as the first render of this page, is literally amazing looking.

A question, could we choose a different vent pattern? I for one would like to see something different.

Do you have another vent pattern style in mind, or something you can reference that looks cool? Very easy to offer these panels in two vent styles since we will not have window or unvented options.

What was the initial reason for the bottom black "band"? Break up the panels for a contrasting look instead of single colour (Similar to the MonsterLabo First) or to ease lifting the side panels by elevating them 2" above the surface the tower is sitting on (less likely to scratch the desk given it's raised)? I don't mind either way, just curious. As for the power switch placement I think you did the best job you could. It matches your case lineup. Instantly recognisable as a Sliger case imo.

I like what you are doing with the SV590 and SV540. Although I personally would like to see a future revision (that would cost more, given the current design looks to me like it's designed to be cost efficient to manufacture) where the side panels can be lifted off easily like the Phanteks Shift (that was the only thing I liked about the Shift. With the current design I would have to rotate the case in order to remove the side panels with a screwdriver everytime I want to clean the dust. Your design is much better optimised for airflow, reduced wasted space and additional room for storage).
I'm leaning more towards the SV540 given it would be lighter and for me, easier to unscrew the side panels for dust cleaning.

Starts at 3:06 showing how the panels slide up

It was because the original version with a 240mm AIO only needed a few extra inches of height to be the 360mm version, so I designed a "spacer" that filled the gap so I could use the same panels on multiple height cases. But then I scrapped the 240mm version to not eat my own SM570 sales, and here we are.

The sheet to sheet fasteners the Shift uses are something I have worked with before, PEM SKC hardware is the brand I can get here, and while they're pretty great from an ease of use perspective they would limit the case to powder coat finishes. Since plan on these was to offer various unique finishes that clash with insert hardware I had to go screws; ex cannot anodize the exterior panels and have these fasteners in it, would look weird.

I am looking into some hardened stainless screws with a black plating for this case, just to prevent the possible stripped head issue. Might have to make every screw on all our cases this screw as we sell more cases and other cases get older we're getting more reports of screws stripping.

I'll get an update on the 540 soon.

ApocPony

Cable Smoosher
Jul 9, 2019

Size comparison to SM550, and possible rust patina finish.
Hi Sliger, have been lurking on the forum for a while and decided to sign up as I have significant interest in the larger tower. So a few questions.

Did you settle on the 16L or 19L version in the end for the 590?

Also can the baseplate be removed (I understand it's function but prefer it without)

And I'm really digging the rust that's what got me to sign up and hopefully contribute (love the industrial look)

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I think 3-slot GPU, 75mm CPU cooler, ATX PSU, and 2x 140mm fan at ~14L wouldn't be a bad offering. It's a little bigger than I'd like it to be, still smaller than the Ophoin with bigger GPU support, but it isn't completely overlapping all the other existing SFF cases. Plus it offers a style larger cases don't.

I think this offering would be pretty compelling. Maximal GPU, air cooling, and PSU support with minimal size.

Reactions: teodoro

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019

Size comparison to SM550, and possible rust patina finish.

That thing is a whopper. Wonder how big the SV540 would be.

Can the base be made with a wood veneer? Not even sure how you would do that but this case has me thinking of mid century modern furniture (I'm probably in the minority). It would be cool to add some feet to the base. Like mid century table pegs or hairpin legs to the corners of the base.

Reactions: Tazpr

CrypticSplicer

Minimal Tinkerer
May 21, 2019
Can the base be made with a wood veneer? Not even sure how you would do that but this case has me thinking of mid century modern furniture (I'm probably in the minority). It would be cool to add some feet to the base. Like mid century table pegs or hairpin legs to the corners of the base.

Agreed, I feel like this case would look really good in wood.

I'm super excited about this case. It's tough finding a good case when you're into watercooling and sff, but this one ticks off all the boxes for me. Will there be case window add ons? I'm tempted to remove the front panel and add in a distro plate.

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
It might seem like a whopper...but you also need to think of your desk space. There's *usually* nothing sitting on top of your case, so there's an abundance of vertical space. When comparing this case to another - in a practical sense - you'll want to look at footprint instead since that's what's actually changing on your desk. From afar it looks like a 25% reduction in footprint. My modded (vertical and trimmed) SG13 case had a footprint of 55in2 or 355cm2.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I actually think Rust + Wood could potentially be the coolest looking case ever - @KSliger were you planning on adding this to your options for case finishes cos that finish looks AMAZING!

Also, apart from the power switch, what else is under the top panel?
Would it be possible to make custom top plates - or even custom distro-plates for the top with a hole that the power switch screws through?

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I think a square grid cut/punch pattern that you can put a mesh filter behind would look dope! It would look like a mid century speaker cabinet.

happycorner

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 18, 2019
Planning on this - would love to have a long laid down case shaped like a soundbar with a really minimalist look, but running a 9900K and a 2080 ti in it. 360mm AIO only way to go. Will def put some sort of feet for laying on side.

Is allowing the case to be laid down still part of the plan in the latest iteration? It would work really well for desks with mounted monitors (like mine ?). You don't need to ship the case with feet attached, but it'd be great if you could source feet with the proper clearance and make it an add on item for the case (or even link to a 3rd party seller).

With that in mind, I'm all in favor of removing the bottom band and maintaining symmetry along both axis.

The case looks great though, I'm very interested!

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
i want to build my folks a HTPC in that wood paneled one. really knocking out the park with these designs.

edit - oh dang i thought it was wood! just a sweet patina.