Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Here is an alternate much larger design, around 19.8L.

Designed to do literally any combination of possible parts.

The central rib can move left or right to either GPU or CPU side. This allows taller CPU coolers (130mm) with 2-slot GPUs, or 3-slot GPUs with a mid-height cooler (~80mm), or a 360mm AIO + 3-slot GPU.

Also allows mounting fans, SSD, HDD, radiators, or anything anywhere on flat plates. Last picture is an example with 3x 140mm fans.

I can't think of anything this design/configurablility can't do. It's like knex or legos for SFF PC building.

Down side is it is a ton of parts, a ridiculous amount of screws, and the price will be more in the $350 range vs the higher up design is $225.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Will the ball studs for the panels be enlarged to allow for easier removal?

Maybe. We're working on some methods to loosen up the clips for first impressions without making the clips weak.

All the ballstuds are easier to remove after 3-5 times on and off. The powder coat on the clips is what causes them to be so firm on the first few times off. Once the powder coat is no longer giving the clips that extra strength, they are much easier to take on off.

Hard to balance making them easy at first, and making them durable in the long term.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The first design looks like it will have much better airflow over the non-watercooled components. The second design where everything is in a line seems neat, but insane :)

Does the first design give you room for Micro ATX or Flex ATX (3-slot MATX) motherboards? At 250mm wide it seems like one could fit mATX, with the understanding that you would need multiple risers.

EDIT: Forgot to say, vents on the side look a little random. Does Sliger have a logo you can make into vents?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Just me throwing some ideas(maybe impractical)

Bigger or heavier base and an optional panel that has a vesa mount for a diy AIO system

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
Just something I noticed [on the previous, not last drawing] . The radiator on the render seems to be on the side where newer motherboards are sporting significantly more raised heatsinks than before. Is there enough clearance for the AIO tubing to be routed cleanly?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Looking for some feed back on two things, first is what you all would like to see for the SV540.

Plan with the SV540 is to support 70mm CPU coolers an 2-slot GPUs, but it is already rather large at 10.1L, maybe I should just make it support 3 slot at 11.3L?

Should I make it a little taller for GPUs up to 330mm? Would bump it up to 12.8L with 3-slot GPU support.

Second is what is your opinions on changing the side screw mounts to this slanted design?

Here's a rough size comparison; SV590, SM570, SV540, SM550

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Honestly, I kind of like it exactly how it is. 70mm is great for CPU air cooling and 2-slot 300mm GPU's are fine for my use case (HTPC where minimal footprint is preferred).

A couple of features I'd be interested in: 1.) Since you've flipped everything vertically for center of gravity reasons, is there any plan for some cable routing back to the bottom? 2.) Since we've seen how helpful some negative pressure from case fans is on GPU thermals, any chance we can fit a slim 120 or 90mm on the back?

Reactions: rapidshrub

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Honestly, I kind of like it exactly how it is. 70mm is great for CPU air cooling and 2-slot 300mm GPU's are fine for my use case (HTPC where minimal footprint is preferred).

A couple of features I'd be interested in: 1.) Since you've flipped everything vertically for center of gravity reasons, is there any plan for some cable routing back to the bottom? 2.) Since we've seen how helpful some negative pressure from case fans is on GPU thermals, any chance we can fit a slim 120 or 90mm on the back?

1) Yes, there is some zip tie attachment holes in row across the back, these should make it easy to hide the cables - this was a big concern on this for me.

2) Sure, will add 2x slim 120 support in tomorrow.

Dasu

Case Bender
New User
May 17, 2019
I just found out about this case, I really like it!
Some feedback: I don't think there is much difference between 10.1L and 11.3L, and I would love to use a 3 slot GPU. Support for at least 305/310mm GPUs would be nice but it is not a deal breaker in my opinion. CPU cooling is perfect. As already suggested, It would be nice to have support for 120mm fans.

Reactions: Aki

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017

Rather larger SFF case idea based on the same layout as the SM560, but stretched for a 360mm AIO - mainly for overlocked i9 builds.

Volume is currently at 16.8L, case can be flipped to either end with the end cap. Plenty of room for cable management, staggered vent pattern, has bifurcated riser support for 2 slot GPU + additional single slot card or supports 3 slot wide cards.

Unsure on:

Button placement.

Offering a front panel board, go for aesthetics or mix in functionality.

How many HDD or SSD people would use in this.

Should it offer a handle?

Stability. Might need a base mount plate.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, feedback, etc!
Remind me of a work of @sunmilo

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I would also like to see 3 slots. Especially since a lot more GPU's come with a 3 slot cooler now. And for 2 slot cards it would be less turbulent. With 3 slots it would also be able to accommodate a few aftermarket coolers. And as Dasu mentioned, 10.1L and 11.3L don't seem to be that much of a difference, especially for a non portable type case. It would also make this case even more special. 70mm CPU cooler clearance is perfect.

Reactions: Dasu

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Remind me of a work of @sunmilo

Vent design was inspired by his Steel Forest.

I would also like to see 3 slots. Especially since a lot more GPU's come with a 3 slot cooler now. And for 2 slot cards it would be less turbulent. With 3 slots it would also be able to accommodate a few aftermarket coolers. And as Dasu mentioned, 10.1L and 11.3L don't seem to be that much of a difference, especially for a non portable type case. It would also make this case even more special. 70mm CPU cooler clearance is perfect.

I just found out about this case, I really like it!
Some feedback: I don't think there is much difference between 10.1L and 11.3L, and I would love to use a 3 slot GPU. Support for at least 305/310mm GPUs would be nice but it is not a deal breaker in my opinion. CPU cooling is perfect. As already suggested, It would be nice to have support for 120mm fans.

What if I just made this case like the M1 style layout but vertical?

Riser does not seem to make sense with 3-slot GPU and 70mm CPU cooler, as the case becomes 170mm wide.

With M1 layout and 170mm wide it could do 160mm CPU coolers and 3-slot GPU, 240mm AIO, or even an ATX PSU - plus it would be cheaper without the riser.

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
If that small increase in width is what's standing between a sandwich design and traditional layout then I'd prefer the latter so that I can use a NH-U12A and keep my desk space.

Dasu

Case Bender
New User
May 17, 2019

Riser does not seem to make sense with 3-slot GPU and 70mm CPU cooler, as the case becomes 170mm wide.

With M1 layout and 170mm wide it could do 160mm CPU coolers and 3-slot GPU, 240mm AIO, or even an ATX PSU - plus it would be cheaper without the riser.

I also like the idea of a M1 style case with a vertical layout a lot. However, would this layout make the case bigger than 11.3 L? Would it be similar to the Chimera MachOne?

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

I like this idea. How hard would it be to support mATX, mini DTX, or FlexATX in this form factor? Specfiically with the SV590, I ask because the 360mm radiator support puts it in a different class from the Cerberus. In the past you've said you don't just want to make another Cerberus because you already sell that case and so my assumption is competing against your own case line up is a bad idea (and I would agree). But a 360mm vertical case wtih some kind of mATX layout (maybe only support for slightly shorter mATX boards, not the full 9.6x9.6) would make it unique. But if that completely messes up the rest of the measurements then forget it. I know mATX is in a bad spot right now in terms of motherboard support anyway, as seen by only a single x570 mATX board being announced out of something like 60 boards.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I would still slightly prefer the back to back layout, since I would assume, that the case would most likely need to be deeper with a standard layout. But I wouldn't mind a price reduction either. It also could make the case perform better thermally, since I don't currently see any active exhaust(/intake). And with a normal layout it would be possible to fit a fan up top. If you decide to change it to a standard layout, you could experiment with facing the GPU towards the back side to direct noise away from the user and potentially use large intake vents without ruining the looks of the case.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I also prefer the back-to-back sandwich style layout. As long as you have 70mm of space for a decent CPU cooler in the smaller variety, and 360 rad support for the larger you've pretty much covered the gamut of use cases. Going to a standard config likely means you can accommodate something like a C14 (if you can find one in stock), but if you also want 2.5/3 slot GPUs and some kind of fan intake, you're probably talking another 2-3 liters minimum.

Blze001

What's an ITX?
Jun 14, 2019
this chassis looks like it has potential for good custom loop optimizations, looking forward to what's to come!

This is why I'm watching it closely. I had to leave the SFF world with a Nano S because I got bit by the watercooling bug and wanted to do a full loop, this case might bring me back in!