Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
Doing one last revision to the case, making some final decisions, and then will hit production. So maybe... late October.

Here is the most recent update I am working on getting a prototype made of, trying out our USB Audio board on the bottom front to break up the monotony of the front but not too much. Also changed the bottom to have the standard vent pattern to make it easier to mount pumps / radiators or HDD/SSD.

This looks cool, may I ask what software you use to design this?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
It does not in my opinion. Not at high frequency, which is the reason why IMO someone would choose a 9900k, or a watercooled solution anyway

we have plenty of options for aircooled components
Watercooling is for sound or most likely performance and sound combo, so why not a dual 280 rad as someone else is prototyping or a single fat 360?

GPUs in the 80s are not cool, no pun intended

Thanks

Ah okay, that will have to be a different case - there is a discussion on that in the SM5XX thread on here for a 2x 280mm case in the future.

This looks cool, may I ask what software you use to design this?

Solid Edge 2020

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
So you said it will fit 3 slot GPUs? I have an ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix and it is 55mm thick. It is technically a 2.7 slot GPU but because of the coolers it really thick.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Correct on 3-slot GPU support, designed to be able to put a Zotac Amp Extreme 2080ti or MSI TRIO 2080ti in it.

I'm planning to custom loop everything, but if one were to use an air cooled GPU how well do the vents manage? They seem kinda restrictive for air cooled

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
@KSliger when do you think the final prototype and finishes would be ready for demonstration? I recall you mentioned a few weeks back that they soon cooming to sliger.com

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger when do you think the final prototype and finishes would be ready for demonstration? I recall you mentioned a few weeks back that they soon cooming to sliger.com

Late next week, will be shooting one off to OptimumTech and one to one other reviewer.

I'm planning to custom loop everything, but if one were to use an air cooled GPU how well do the vents manage? They seem kinda restrictive for air cooled

There is a suprisingly good amount of open area despite how restrictive it looks. Will do a bit more testing with a beefier GPU and CPU, then post our results when we put the case page up.

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
Late next week, will be shooting one off to OptimumTech and one to one other reviewer.

There is a suprisingly good amount of open area despite how restrictive it looks. Will do a bit more testing with a beefier GPU and CPU, then post our results when we put the case page up.
OptimumTech is an incredible YouTuber

TubePunk

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2019
What a fantastic case, I'm really looking forward to the OptimumTech review! The SV590 IS my next build. I have been waiting patiently to replace my 4 year old Air540 build and scale down considerably. The Shift was going to be that replacement until I saw the thermals, and have been in limbo waiting for another vertical case to be released. The patina finished 590 is unbelievable! I'm so glad that I held off, as I don't typically change cases without doing entire new builds.

Any chance of offering a bronze power button on the patina case? Also, do you think something like a Demci Filter would work on the inside of the vented panel to control dust?

Last edited:
Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
What a fantastic case, I'm really looking forward to the OptimumTech review! The SV590 IS my next build. I have been waiting patiently to replace my 4 year old Air540 build and scale down considerably. The Shift was going to be that replacement until I saw the thermals, and have been in limbo waiting for another vertical case to be released. The patina finished 590 is unbelievable! I'm so glad that I held off, as I don't typically change cases without doing entire new builds.

Any chance of offering a bronze power button on the patina case? Also, do you think something like a Demci Filter would work on the inside of the vented panel to control dust?

Excited to hear this!

Unfortunately no bronze power buttons available as far as I am aware, they are either black anodize or the stainless steel we get ours in. You can possibly find your own online, they are 16mm anti-vandal ring LED switches.

Here's an example on Amazon:

Reactions: TubePunk

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Could I get that rust patina finish on a cerebrus?

Would have to change a lot of things to make this possible. Steel does not come in the same gauge as the aluminum does, so would have to make some prototypes and test it. Maybe early next year or so? Just so crazy busy right now it's hard to get to.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Would have to change a lot of things to make this possible. Steel does not come in the same gauge as the aluminum does, so would have to make some prototypes and test it. Maybe early next year or so? Just so crazy busy right now it's hard to get to.

Fair enough, figured it was worth asking!

Jmbradley

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 1, 2019
I believe I saw somewhere in thread that you're not looking to make glass panels for these cases? With the current designs, would it be plausible for someone to replace one of the panels to a glass one with ease?

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
I really dig that Sunmilo steel forest so I'm really looking forward to how the SV540 will turn out. A monolithic tower similar to the Sunmilo but with rad support sounds amazing.

For me, the smaller the case's width and depth can be made the better; Space for a 310mm 2.5 slot gpu, SFX-L power supply and up to a 140mm cpu would be plenty. In my mind if I needed more than that I'd just step up to the SV590 no? Being able to potentially fit a 280mm rad is pretty nuts though.

Any considerations being made for us poor saps with blower gpus? I guess with that option C layout the gpu would inadvertently become an exhaust fan... probably a non-issue I suppose.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Here is the current update/album/specifications

SV590 aka MONOLITH X
18L @ 154mm X 247mm X 472mm
- 360MM AIO COOLER SUPPORT (OR 240MM + 120MM)
- MOUNTING FOR PUMP/RES IN BOTTOM
- 3-SLOT GPU (UP TO 330MM, BIFURCATION SUPPORT)
- MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARDS
- SFX POWER SUPPLIES
- EASY OFF TOP COVER FOR ACCESS TO MOTHERBOARD IO

SV540 aka MONOLITH
11L @ 149mm x 189mm x 390mm
- 2-SLOT GPU (UP TO 330MM LONG, NO BIFURCATION SUPPORT)
- 75MM CPU COOLER (BIG SHURIKEN 3)
- MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARDS
- SFX POWER SUPPLIES

The SV590 might get the same vent pattern as the SV540. The artsy pattern while cool, is having trouble with durability as the long cutouts tend to bend easily.

Trying thicker gauge aluminum before giving up on the pattern.

Let me know any last minute thoughts on these!

PS No 280mm AIO version will be made, these two versions are all that will happen in the SV series. Working on a different case series for 280mm AIO and custom loops.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
The SV590 might get the same vent pattern as the SV540. The artsy pattern while cool, is having trouble with durability as the long cutouts tend to bend easily.

Trying thicker gauge aluminum before giving up on the pattern.

Let me know any last minute thoughts on these!

Please try to keep the artsy vent pattern!

Insomnium

Chassis Packer
Oct 7, 2019
SV590 aka MONOLITH X
18L @ 154mm X 247mm X 472mm
- 360MM AIO COOLER SUPPORT (OR 240MM + 120MM)
- MOUNTING FOR PUMP/RES IN BOTTOM
- 3-SLOT GPU (UP TO 330MM, BIFURCATION SUPPORT)
- MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARDS
- SFX POWER SUPPLIES

My first post, have been eagerly waiting for SV590 to start shopping for my SFF rig. So it's confirmed that ATX power supply is dropped and what's the ETA before this case is available on your website? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisMCP

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
@KSliger
Same question as Insomnium:
- No ATX PSU option anymore for 590?
- 240 AIO for 540 still doable, or air cooled only? (edit - obviously there is no space...)
- the back of 590 implies an exposed 360 radiator, correct?

PS. I also hope the thicker gauge aluminum works, couz that pattern does look great ;)

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
I LOVE the SV540! Things I like about the SV540:
☑ The "artsy" side panel pattern
☑ Large open ventilation on rear panel similar to the bottom of the SM5XX (very low airflow obstruction)
☑ Rear panel ventilation slots could be used to strap down I/O cables (display, USB, etc) to bundle and tidy up cables coming out of the case. Ie: cable tidy velcro straps
☑ 75MM CPU Cooler height
☑ 2 Slot GPU is all I need, I have restraint *judges others* ?
☑ Lack of rear metal flange under lid. Pulling the lid off would be easier in comparison to the SV590
☑ Lack of ATX PSU support. SFX series ONLY
☑ Lots of room for excess PSU cables

Suggestion: what about space in the rear panel (or inside the case near the MB I/O bracket) with a cutout for front I/O (USB / Audio)? Additional purchase required by using the SM5XX I/O cables.
Similar to the Velka 5:

Q: Is the base plate (stand?) optional? Can it be removed?

Q: How many 2.5" HDD mounts are there in the SV540?
I can see:
x3 2.5" SSD/HDD screw mounts below MB / above SFX PSU
Horizontal slots (spaced apart like HDD mounts) behind PSU on middle spine, additional HDD mounts?

The size is perfect for me.
SV540 aka MONOLITH : ~ 11L @ 149mm W x 189mm D x 390mm H
Corsair One: ~ 13.11L @ 172.5mm W x 200mm D x 380mm H

PS No 280mm AIO version will be made, these two versions are all that will happen in the SV series. Working on a different case series for 280mm AIO and custom loops.

...the 280mm AIO variant won't be a vertical case?

It's going to be a horizontal (not vertical anymore?) M1 case but with the GPU flipped like your post "SV540 OPTION C LAYOUT"? *crys*
Here's an album of the layout with sheet metal turned off to give you an idea. I set the PCIE riser and the PCIE slot to orange to show where they are located.

Basically my though here is that all good GPUs exhaust their heat out the top and bottom of the card, and that this layout should be designed with that in mind.

By routing airflow so that air comes in the side panels, through the PSU on left side and CPU cooler (AIO or air) on right side, we get a positive pressure box without any extra case fans. This airflow then only really has one option for exhaust - directly behind the GPU.

In order for the air to flow to those exhaust holes behind the GPU it has to go over the top or under the bottom of the GPU, flowing right where the GPU exhaust is as well for a really optimized "air goes out when it's at its peak temperature" layout.

With this I can get a 280mm AIO (or 150mm tall CPU cooler) and a 3-slot 325mm long GPU in ~13.5L, or ~15L if counting the top cable cover and probably get really good temps.

I was also thinking making it possible to mount a slim 120mm fan under the motherboard since I have a bit of extra height allowed by not having the GPU in the motherboard slot.

Last edited: