Streamcast F7C and F1C PSU Supply options

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
I'm finding it a little difficult to understand my power supply options for two SFF builds I'm itemising:

Build 01
Streamcom F7C *
MSI GT 1030 LP *
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG Strix B450i
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe M.2
Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB 2.5 inch SATA *

Build 02
Streamcom F1C
Ryzen 5 3400G
Asus ROG Strix B450i
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe M.2

*Already owned

The motherboard listed is provisional and there's a good chance I'll wait until B550 motherboards come out in 2H 2020. It's been over ten years since I last built a PC and I've never built an SFF before so I'm a little confused about my PSU options. There's a really helpful resource on the Lone Industries site, after cross referencing pricing, availability, shipping (UK) and reviews it looks like the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX and the MiniBox PicoPSU 160-XT are my best options, both will handle 200W which gives me plenty of headroom.

Where I'm struggling is trying to understand the specs for the "power brick" AC-DC Converter. I'd be grateful for any confirmation that I've understood the following correctly.
  • The HDPLEX 200W input voltage is 16-24V.
  • A 12v AC-DC converter with a wattage higher than 150W requires a 4 pin connector (read the customer feedback).
  • AC-DC converters above 150W (?) have voltages above 12v.
  • The picoPSU 160-XT input voltage is 12v.
  • The input connector for both the picoPSU and the HDPLEX is a "Barrell" connector (Type A?) not a 4 pin.
Based on the above it seems that if I want to go above 150W the HDPLEX 200W is my only option because although the picoPSU 160-XT will handle up to 200W there isn't a compatible AC-DC Converter that can supply that much power.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
There are 12V AC-DC adapters that are higher than 150W. The Mini-box.com PicoPSU has a removable input connector. It looks like they ship the barrel adapter when ordered on its own. They do have a 4pin adapter. They include this adapter when you buy one of their kits (with 150W and 192W AC adapters).

Make sure your case can support the HDPLEX or 4pin Power DIN power input connectors.

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
That explains a couple of things I wasn't sure about thanks. My case wouldn't support that 4 pin adapter without drilling holes, I'll probably go for the HDPLEX, thanks for reminding me to check the space beforehand. Changing the subject, your cases are the best I've seen online anywhere with the perfect balance of aesthetics and functionality. I only realised how small they are and that they can be horizontal after I'd purchased my Streacom F7C. Still, I don't have buyers remorse (yet although I'm a bit nervous about temperatures) and I'm continuing to watch your development. Thanks for all the great resources and the help.

Reactions: Lone