Streacom DA2 - Silent build (250w / 350rpm / 10db)

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I've set my mind on the DA2 and i'm looking for cooling solutions as quiet as possible.
The current configuration (flipped setup) :

- Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
- Intel Core i7 6700T + Arctic Alpine 11 Passive
- 1 x BitFenix Spectre 200 @ 350 rpm (side exhaust)
- GTX 1080 KFA2 EXOC + Raijintek Morpheus II CE
- 2 x Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 @ 350 rpm (top exhaust)
- Silverstone NJ450-SXL
- 1 x Samsung SM951 256 gb nvme
- 2 x Kingston HyperX 8 gb 2400 mhz
- 3 x Samsung Momentus 4 tb 2,5" 5400 rpm

Last edited:

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
In case it simplifies your build, it should be possible to passively cool your 6700T. I'm using the Alpine 12 Passive on an 8500T, and it barely gets warm under regular load.

Unless you've already purchased the GPU—you might also be able to get away with a low-profile, passively-cooled card, as well.

If your card is a standard/reference width, a fan should fit between it at the side panel/brackets. If you're concerned about noise, though, I wouldn't even bother with it!

An AIO is probably fine, but over time, the liquid temperature will equalize with your CPU temperature. Unlike a regular heat pipe + fin stack, the unit is prone to failure if you dump a bunch of heat into it without a means to keep the liquid temperature in check.

My understanding is that many 10-series cards have a zero-RPM mode, so until you're doing something demanding on it, it'll run silent.

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Hi August,

Thank you for your feedback.
I looked ta you triple loop build, awesome work mate.

You really think the fanless NH-C14S would be enough with a 6700T in this case ?

Regarding the GPU i bought a 1060 KFA2 OC, and it seems to be one of the few 1060 without 0 rpm mode... Should have made more research :/ But it was cheap. Do you think it could work with a fanless Raijintek Morpheus II ?
This plus a fanless NH-C14S would be perfect, but without any air flow in tiny case ?.. :/

Reactions: August

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I'm also wondering if an Accelero Xtreme III with its fans would fit (without the bottom panel of the DA2 removed) ?
288 x 104 x 54 mmm with fans, i could try to remove the fans and see if i manage to have decent temperatures, and if not i put them on and that's it.
The Morpheus is harder to find and in total cost 30€ more without fans than the complete Accelero Xtreme III, so... :/

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
The Alpine 12 passive, it can dissipate up to 47W of heat with zero active cooling—it's designed for space-constrained, low-maintenance applications. If it's got a bit of room for normal convection, it'll be totally safe.

I can't speak to using the C14S in the same way, in part because the fin stack is designed for use with a fan, and may not encourage enough convection on its own. My recommendation would be to grab the Alpine 12 passive ($10?) and try it out—if it doesn't provide enough dissipation, you could step up to something larger or actively cooled.

The Accelero is probably fine for the 1060—it might be too tall with the built-in fans, but you could remove the ones it comes with and see if you can fit some slim fans in the bottom of the case.

There's also an upcoming "performance panels" that would allow you to put intake fans underneath the chassis as intake, should they not fit inside, between the de-shrouded Accelero and the vents.

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I have an Alpine 11 but i don't use it, on an openbench after 2h of OCCT Temp is 20°c higher than the fanless NH-C14S (79°c vs 59°c).
That said it's pretty good for a 10€ rad.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
I have an Alpine 11 but i don't use it, on an openbench after 2h of OCCT Temp is 20°c higher than the fanless NH-C14S (79°c vs 59°c).
That said it's pretty good for a 10€ rad.

Ah, ok—sounds like you have more info than I do, then!

Is that load representative of what you actually use the CPU for?

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
No my use for this machine is graphic design (photoshop and illustrator mainly), HTPC and a bit of gaming.
I will try the Arctic 11 in the DA2 when i receive it, just out of curiosity... And who knows, maybe it will do the job for my actual use :)

I really hope i can manage to fit a 200mm fan in this case, i'm sure it would be enough with every other components being fanless (CPU, GPU and PSU) to have good temps and silence.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
FWIW: I also do design + development on my Hackintosh with the six-core 8500T and Alpine passive—it rarely goes above about 40°C, and even under prolonged loads stays pretty cool—the hottest I’ve ever seen it was 59°C. There are a couple of Noctua R8 fans pushing air across it (800rpm) for good measure. ✌️

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
There's something weird on the specs sheet, i don't see how the max clearance for the CPU cooler is 145mm when it's 150mm for the graphic card... Which one is it in reality ?

CPU Cooler Max Height: 145mm
PCI Support: Dual Slot, 330x150x50mm (LxWxH)

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
My DA2 finally arrived !
First thing i tried was the 200mm fan, and it fits ?
Time for some tests ...

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I've been lucky with my GTX 1060 quick buy, it's just long enough to fit the 200mm fan on the side that extracts air.
A shorter card would have the 6 pin connector blocking the fan.

I had the Bitfenix fan laying around, i might go for another one later, but as a test it's already great, temps at lowest speed are fantastics.
I can even play the 1060 fanless with only its tiny stock rad, in this case temperature doesn't go above 90°c (and 45°c for the CPU with the cheap Alpine 11).

Last edited:

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
So i received the Raijintek Morpheus II, and full fanless doesn't work.
In game the GPU reaches 95°c in ~40min and starts throttling.

I'm putting back a 200mm fan, but the 30mm thick BitFenix Spectre Pro doesn't fit with the Morpheus II installed.
I switched it for a 20mm thick BitFenix Spectre 200mm, even quieter since it runs 100rpm slower (350rpm).

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Just a tiny bit as the headphones stands are not plain, 95%of the panel holes are not covered. I have a cable muncher as a cat, it´s safer this way :)

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Just got a GTX 1080 KFA2 EXOC, i'm gonna try it with the Morpheus II.
I think a single Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm could do the job.

Last edited:

ApaucalyptiK

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I got a Silverstone FW121 (120x15mm) to try out while waiting for a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 (140x15mm) to be delivered, it's already enough to keep the 1080 cool. Under CPU & GPU silmutaneous torture max temp are ~70°c with the FW121 @ 1000 rpm and the Spectre 200mm @ 500 rpm. I think the Prolimatech will be ok @ 500 rpm, keeping the super low noise goal.