Prototype Steck v2.0 - Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case. Up to 3x slot GPU [325mm (L)]

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Would it be possible to create 2 variants of the top hat? Many aftermarket AIO come with +50mm height with radiator thickness and fan height added together. It would make more sense to let buyer choose the between smaller and taller top hats rather than be forced to buy 2. Also, 1 tophat vs 2 tophats aesthetics.

I have been waiting for case like this (bottom & top fans) and planned to use be quiet! Silent Loop 2 240mm (h=52mm) with the case. But I would be forced to buy smaller fans or 2 tophats to be able to use this AIO. Another popular AIO Kraken X53 seems to be h=56mm. I believe that I'm not the only one asking for taller top hat since there are just a few <25mm AIO radiator (MasterLiquid Lite 240, Eisbaer Pro Aurora 240, Eisbaer LT240) available on the market. And with <25mm rad height I refer to use of 25mm fans with the radiator.

How about second version of tophat with plus ~10mm height? Would be more than enough for many and buyers would get ton of more options to choose AIO.
The total height of a AIO liquid cooler consists of the radiator + fans, with radiators usually at 30mm (H) and fans at 25mm (H). For liquid cooling config Steck ver 2 + tophat, you can still use 30mm tall radiators, your solution is to use 15mm height fans ONLY.

Guess cost of 2 extra fans is a non-issue for SFF enthusiasts😅. Thin profile fans should be pretty standard procurement for SFF builds. You won't go wrong with Noctua fans.

There is no plan to make top hat or the main case taller to support 25mm fans. I have been receiving feedback to make top hats thinner, I am not going to now go back to make it bigger again🤨

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

MrMuscl3

Case Bender
New User
Jun 27, 2021
The total height of a AIO liquid cooler consists of the radiator + fans, with radiators usually at 30mm (H) and fans at 25mm (H). For liquid cooling config Steck ver 2 + tophat, you can still use 30mm tall radiators, your solution is to use 15mm height fans ONLY.

Guess cost of 2 extra fans is a non-issue for SFF enthusiasts😅. Thin profile fans should be pretty standard procurement for SFF builds. You won't go wrong with Noctua fans.

There is no plan to make top hat or the main case taller to support 25mm fans. I have been receiving feedback to make top hats thinner, I am not going to now go back to make it bigger again🤨

Noctua 15mm fans are good. You are right with that. But 25mm fans are better and they come with AIO coolers.

I understand that you wan't to listen feedback given by users. That is usually the best way to evolve things to be better. But hear me out! Even if you decide to give buyer an option to choose between smaller and taller top hats - You won't be taking anything away from the users that have given this feedback (they can still get what they wanted) or anybody else either. Instead you would be giving users an option to choose if they want to use 15mm or 25mm fans or thicker radiator. Options have never hurt anyone and this way more people would be satisfied.

I bet that many people will be happy to pay ~10 dollars more for taller tophat what with they can use their AIO stock fans. The cost will still be ~40 dollars less when people don't have to buy 2x 15mm Noctuas.

The extra price is not a dealbreaker for me but there will be a number of people who don't want to:
1. pay that extra price for compatible fans
2. use 15mm fans with AIO to begin with
3. stack 2 hats to be able to use 25mm fans or thicker rads

I don't know the extra costs for manufacturing 2 sizes of top hats instead of 1 but I think few dollars extra to price will cover this extra. And does it matter if add-on component increases total manufacturing cost few dollars when it is done solely to increase the total sale count of the product? The three points I listed above will bring total sales down with 100% certainty.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Timeless

Cable Smoosher
Jul 1, 2021
Is it possible to mount a ddc pump/reservoir inside the case like the EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 120 or are we stuck with cpu block/pump combo and iceman reservoir?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Is it possible to mount a ddc pump/reservoir inside the case like the EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 120 or are we stuck with cpu block/pump combo and iceman reservoir?
That one uses VTX pump, which is a EK only standard. It is not compatible with DDC pump.

If you decide to use a reservoir/pump combo, then you don't need a CPU/pump combo. SFF PC cases often cannot fit a typical reservoir, which are usually designed to fit in tower cases.

Timeless

Cable Smoosher
Jul 1, 2021
That one uses VTX pump, which is a EK only standard. It is not compatible with DDC pump.

If you decide to use a reservoir/pump combo, then you don't need a CPU/pump combo. SFF PC cases often cannot fit a typical reservoir, which are usually designed to fit in tower cases.
I mean if the case doesn't support a standalone pump then I can only use a CPU/pump combo. Is there space for a standalone ddc pump?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I mean if the case doesn't support a standalone pump then I can only use a CPU/pump combo. Is there space for a standalone ddc pump?
There is no reserved space for a standalone DDC pump. But most people will check for any extra space left over that can fit a pump e.g. at the end of the graphics card, especially for GPU block, that makes the card much shorter.

There wouldn't be Aquanaut in the first place, if there is room for separate DDC pump/reservoir. 😉

Timeless

Cable Smoosher
Jul 1, 2021
There is no reserved space for a standalone DDC pump. But most people will check for any extra space left over that can fit a pump e.g. at the end of the graphics card, especially for GPU block, that makes the card much shorter.

There wouldn't be Aquanaut in the first place, if there is room for separate DDC pump/reservoir. 😉
I'll have to compromise and if it is LGA1700 compatible get the aquanaut. I want a pump/reservoir because it's easier to fill the loop, still this case seems pretty good.

Reactions: Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I'll have to compromise and if it is LGA1700 compatible get the aquanaut. I want a pump/reservoir because it's easier to fill the loop, still this case seems pretty good.
yea, we all hope to find some way to fit a reservoir in a SFF case 😉 . But it has to be generic enough to be a product worthwhile to bring to market. Custom size/shape reservoir for separate cases is not a feasible project.

kotty

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 29, 2021
This case looks absolutely awesome for my build. Is there any release date yet? :) Also will it be eligible for shipping to the EU?

Stinkybear

Trash Compacter
Apr 7, 2020
Wonder how this will end up comparing to the Geeek m5 with horizontal vs vertical movement. This looks to have better air cooling compatibility.