Production Steck v2.0 - Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case. Up to 3x slot GPU [325mm (L)]

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I like the fan choice. Negative pressure has worked well to cool all the components in these sandwich layouts and is in my opinion the most optimized use of space for air cooling. You don't even need a flipped PSU option like the T1 because you account for top and bottom fans. I would include options to offset the PSU with standoffs. I'd be interested in the 10mm removable feet and an accessory like a back hat that can cover cables in the back to make the case vertical. Me personally I'd likely sacrifice the front usb c and rout the power to the back hat to make it work for me but that's my own choice to make a design like this work. I would think others would flip it the other way to have cables running out the bottom.
There will be a revised design feet that raise the case by about 15mm. It serves to provide decent air flow and also provides an identity for the design. Users can choose to remove the feet and install their own (common) feet (not included), but I think the new feet design should be quite nice in aesthetics and functionally. Will post some renders soon for feedback and comments.

Not to name those brands/cases, but baffles me that some of those with tiny rubber padded feet, that raise the case by about 3mm, but with bottom chassis fans at the same time...

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I like the fan choice. Negative pressure has worked well to cool all the components in these sandwich layouts and is in my opinion the most optimized use of space for air cooling. You don't even need a flipped PSU option like the T1 because you account for top and bottom fans. I would include options to offset the PSU with standoffs. I'd be interested in the 10mm removable feet and an accessory like a back hat that can cover cables in the back to make the case vertical. Me personally I'd likely sacrifice the front usb c and rout the power to the back hat to make it work for me but that's my own choice to make a design like this work. I would think others would flip it the other way to have cables running out the bottom.
Steck will not support vertical placement. I am designing a separate model that is vertical and uses traditional graphics card mounting (no riser cable issues), and cables will come out at the bottom with raised feet/spacing.

Noosh

Cable Smoosher
Aug 18, 2019
Will there be a pink color option like with the first one?

Is it going to be distributed through DENSITY like Borg? I wanted to purchase the original but there was no option for Slovenia even though shipping to EU was available, so density would be great as they ship here.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Will there be a pink color option like with the first one?

Is it going to be distributed through DENSITY like Borg? I wanted to purchase the original but there was no option for Slovenia even though shipping to EU was available, so density would be great as they ship here.
pink "should" be back 😉
Will need talk to density on this model. But will try to work out EU channel one way or another. We are confident in getting the products warehoused in EU first.

Reactions: Noosh

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
May 2021 status update :
  • technical design - 95%
  • accept feedback for final adjustment
  • prototyping - in progress
  • higher quality renders - coming soon
  • pre-production - June 2021
  • production - Jul 2021 (tbc)
Refer to OP for new features and improvements.

View attachment 1069
View attachment 1070
View attachment 1071
View attachment 1072
Absolutely stunning iteration (like it should be), definitely going down for one again.

PS: Any vertical stand thought for this one? personal question, not a necessity.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
As usual I will be looking to give out 10 units to SFFF community. Invitation will be sent out to some and you are also welcome to submit your request. Please note that I would appreciate if there could be more in depth review and feedback from these units (with photos of your builds), so to help me improve in future updates.

You know what, I could not have incorporated all these improvements in this latest version without previous feedback from the SFF community. I really pushed hard to include as many of you suggestions as possible. And guess it is apparent that there has not been much extra feedback for this latest version, at least on paper, it ticks most of the boxes 😉

Lets get this new version kicking. I am very excited about this latest version. I think it will be so much more refined and premium class, and I hope you will feel the same when you get your hands on to one 🙏

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
PS: Any vertical stand thought for this one? personal question, not a necessity.

I kind of like a potential vertical option too.

Please note that I would appreciate if there could be more in depth review and feedback from these units (with photos of your builds), so to help me improve in future updates.

Another thing I'd like to see is an improvement to the magnetic panel fixturing. A set of small N52 neodymium squares of the same thickness as the 3M strips that I found on K&J magnetics have made a world of difference on my Steck Rev1.1. Also, if that Gen4 riser I sourced from you is the right length for the Rev 2, I'll definately be making the switch for my HTPC build (hopefully GPUs won't be harder to find than the holy grail by then).

Reactions: Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I kind of like a potential vertical option too.

Another thing I'd like to see is an improvement to the magnetic panel fixturing. A set of small N52 neodymium squares of the same thickness as the 3M strips that I found on K&J magnetics have made a world of difference on my Steck Rev1.1. Also, if that Gen4 riser I sourced from you is the right length for the Rev 2, I'll definately be making the switch for my HTPC build (hopefully GPUs won't be harder to find than the holy grail by then).
The gen4 riser cable (3M) from our online store is good with Steck ver 2.

As this is the "Steck" model, would like to keep this loyal to its original style.

I will make a separate model for vertical layout, I am still at design stage, I realize there are some issues with going sandwich and the twisting of the riser cable. Personally I don't like that cable twisting, and with the latest hassle of gen 4.0, I may explore the "traditional" layout i.e. without pcie riser (cheaper, less issues). The vertical model is setup in a separate thread:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ot-print-sff-case-w-3-slot-gpu-support.14672/

As for panels, Steck v2 will use interlocking clip on panels, it will totally remove any issues with magnets and should be even a better replacement than neodymium magnets. It will be good for travel.

I have played with those neodymium magnets, damn they are so brittle!

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Optional tempered glass panels (recommended for liquid cooling config only)
I think glass panels would still be a solid option for air-cooling build (yes, pun intended). On the CPU side simply get the largest heatsink without fans that will fit and either the largest GPU that will fit when de-shroud or using 2.5-slot GPU in 3-slot mode. Then with fans blowing air from bottom to top you'll have a wind-tunnel effect.

Sure it will not be optimal temp-wise compare to perforated panels but the trade-off is lower noise and better visual. This is all inspired by the Winter One obviously.

Reactions: Nouvolo and rfarmer

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I think glass panels would still be a solid option for air-cooling build (yes, pun intended). On the CPU side simply get the largest heatsink without fans that will fit and either the largest GPU that will fit when de-shroud or using 2.5-slot GPU in 3-slot mode. Then with fans blowing air from bottom to top you'll have a wind-tunnel effect.

Sure it will not be optimal temp-wise compare to perforated panels but the trade-off is lower noise and better visual. This is all inspired by the Winter One obviously.
Glass panels can be bought as option, so you can still use it with base config (air cooling). I am thinking whether to include packs of 2x glass panels (for both sides) or make available single piece of glass panel (higher price due to minimum shipping costs). I don't want to increase SKU by offering both.

Anyways, it is worth trying glass panels with air cooling😉 , would need you guys to be creative with different configs. On paper, I think I have the best in class in air cooling.

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
On paper, I think I have the best in class in air cooling.
yep, based on what you've shared I can agree with that. basically top & bottom fans exhausting out of the case, CPU & GPU intaking via side panels. This config is already proven with the Winter One so I have no doubt Steck v2.0 will beat out similar-volume cases

Glass panels can be bought as option, so you can still use it with base config (air cooling). I am thinking whether to include packs of 2x glass panels (for both sides) or make available single piece of glass panel (higher price due to minimum shipping costs). I don't want to increase SKU by offering both.
maybe another poll? my thinking is single piece of glass would be more popular due to the CPU AIOs being so prevalent (use in conjuction with tophat ofc) compare AIO/watercooling the GPU

Reactions: rfarmer

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I have played with those neodymium magnets, damn they are so brittle!

I haven't had any issue with the Ni coated ones, but don't recommend trying to pry them off once epoxied. You can get rubber or polyurethane coated ones which you could bounce off the floor if you wanted, but would probably have to design in some recessed wells to accommodate their added thickness and step up to a higher strength to accommodate the added distance (magnetic force falls off as R^4).

As for panels, Steck v2 will use interlocking clip on panels, it will totally remove any issues with magnets and should be even a better replacement than neodymium magnets. It will be good for travel.

When you say interlocking clips, is that similar to the ball-stud method on Sliger cases, or something different? I agree that a mechanical solution is probably better overall from a robustness and ease of execution standpoint, but I'm just a big fan of magnets.

Anyways, it is worth trying glass panels with air cooling😉 , would need you guys to be creative with different configs. On paper, I think I have the best in class in air cooling.

My 4x A12x15s are ready and waiting!

Reactions: rfarmer and Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
When you say interlocking clips, is that similar to the ball-stud method on Sliger cases, or something different? I agree that a mechanical solution is probably better overall from a robustness and ease of execution standpoint, but I'm just a big fan of magnets.

Top panel will be using those ball-studs, whereas side panels will use slide on clips.

IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I have a very niche idea. With enough space for 2 x 15mm fans, there would theoretically be space for a 17mm thick 240mm rad with 12mm scythe fans. Used just to cool just the cpu and combine with a 3-slot GPU for maximum performance. Howerver I'm unsure if it would be possible to offset the motherboard in such a way to make this feasable

Reactions: thelaughingman

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I have a very niche idea. With enough space for 2 x 15mm fans, there would theoretically be space for a 17mm thick 240mm rad with 12mm scythe fans. Used just to cool just the cpu and combine with a 3-slot GPU for maximum performance. Howerver I'm unsure if it would be possible to offset the motherboard in such a way to make this feasable
the 4x 15mm fans are in 2 layers, 1 near the top and the other near the bottom in a push-pull config.

You idea is certainly a good one, but means that that center spine needs to be adjustable. Maybe not in this coming version, but possibly in the one after. 😅

shiftycaps

Efficiency Noob
Nov 1, 2020
Never been more hyped for an SFF case than this! All the planned improvements are spot-on, I don't need to enumerate them all! I love my OG Steck but a few things I'll want more for it are bigger GPU slot clearance, more premium CNC-level engineering, better cooling, snappier magnets.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Nouvolo

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
just found this thread, Was a v1 steck owner. Gave to a friend, but looking forward to this venture =)

EDIT: Is there an update on dimensions and volume?

Reactions: Qu1ckset