Storage SSD partitioning, how to?

LoqueGhostQuestioner

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
So i’m sion buying myself a new system:
Louqe ghost s1
And as some of you might know this case only fits one 2,5" drive, I’m buying a 2TB ssd for storage but I need to partition it (I think)
As I want to have OS and games on the same 2,5" drive.

Someone help?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
you really don't have to partition it, unless you want it for file explorer convenience ._.

if you must, there's a step in the windows 10 installer where you'll need to pick a volume for installing windows into. if you're using a blank disk, you'll need to make a new partition for windows to install to, so by that step, divide that free space into half (or your desired fraction)

Reactions: CountNoctua

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
So i’m sion buying myself a new system:
Louqe ghost s1
And as some of you might know this case only fits one 2,5" drive, I’m buying a 2TB ssd for storage but I need to partition it (I think)
As I want to have OS and games on the same 2,5" drive.

Someone help?
You can use 2 x 2.5 drives in the bracket below the PSU, I have 2 x 2TB Seagate BarraCudas in mine. Remember that nearly all motherboards have at least 1 slot for M.2 SSDs, that is what I use for my boot drive.

LoqueGhostQuestioner

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
You can use 2 x 2.5 drives in the bracket below the PSU, I have 2 x 2TB Seagate BarraCudas in mine. Remember that nearly all motherboards have at least 1 slot for M.2 SSDs, that is what I use for my boot drive.
Oh I was not aware of the second bracket, but the m.2 is so expensive if I’m just using it to boot

you really don't have to partition it, unless you want it for file explorer convenience ._.

if you must, there's a step in the windows 10 installer where you'll need to pick a volume for installing windows into. if you're using a blank disk, you'll need to make a new partition for windows to install to, so by that step, divide that free space into half (or your desired fraction)
Ok so I can install the os and install other programs without any problem?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Ok so I can install the os and install other programs without any problem?
yeah. it'll give you fewer unforseeable headaches down the road involving programs not installed in the default OS volume ._.
also there's no practical performance difference, so just leave it be.

EDIT: if you want (say) a D drive for file explorer convenience though (e.g. to store your personal stuff), then go ahead and follow though the instructions in the windows 10 installer.
EDITx2: but don't give yourself too little space for the OS disk, because once you have 2 partitions on the same disk, it's going to be super messy and risky to resize partitions