Stalled Spotswood Computer Cases | DA-160 Vertical Mini-ITX/DTX Case - Zero interest. Tell me why!

Spotswood

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Spotswood Cases
Jul 18, 2015
spotswoodcomputercases.com
Is there such a thing as a perfect part?

Added a notch to the PSU mounting plate to help run the power cord a little tighter against the SFX/SFX-L PSU.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Just found this thread; I really appreciate the thinking behind this case. 👍

Regarding the panel screws: while I like the appearance of the large exposed screw heads, I would worry about the case brushing up against and potentially gouging other items. Do you think the panels are thick enough to accommodate flush, countersunk screw heads?

Spotswood

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Spotswood Cases
Jul 18, 2015
Just found this thread; I really appreciate the thinking behind this case. 👍

Regarding the panel screws: while I like the appearance of the large exposed screw heads, I would worry about the case brushing up against and potentially gouging other items. Do you think the panels are thick enough to accommodate flush, countersunk screw heads?
Those low-head fasteners are only 2mm tall. Ultra-low head screws would be just 0.6mm tall. 😎

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Those low-head fasteners are only 2mm tall. Ultra-low head screws would be just 0.6mm tall. 😎
Got it. I was thinking about flat-head screws with the panel holes cut such that the screw heads sit completely flush with the panel, for a continuous smooth surface. That may not be the vibe you're going for though, which is totally fine.

Nonetheless, some very nice work. Happy holidays – stay healthy and safe.

Spotswood

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Spotswood Cases
Jul 18, 2015
Got it. I was thinking about flat-head screws with the panel holes cut such that the screw heads sit completely flush with the panel, for a continuous smooth surface. That may not be the vibe you're going for though, which is totally fine.

Nonetheless, some very nice work. Happy holidays – stay healthy and safe.
Understood.

The case aesthetic outweighs all of the functionality/features?

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
TL;DR: there’s a lot of competition in the SFF space.

This may be less about the DA-160 itself and more about the vast number of options currently or soon-to-be available. Some of these cases debut with big-name tech-Tubers. One is the result of hundreds of hours of fluid dynamics modeling and a successful Kickstarter. Another is the long-anticipated sophomore effort from the inventor of the SFF sandwich layout.

That’s a very stiff wind to walk into. Add to this is the arrival of major new generations of CPUs and GPUs, uncertainties around new technologies‘ compatibility (e.g. PCIe 4 risers), and a scalping scene that has nearly every component, old and new, selling at insane multiples of a reasonable price.

2020 just sucks.

Last edited:

leafcutter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 29, 2020
Sorry to hear that, mate. I suspect, the recent SSUPD Meshlicious release, the rumors of a Velka 9 (or a larger Velka), a vertical capable FormD T1, Slate Air/AQ, etc -- offer a tough competition in the vertical space.

Specific to the DA-160, the aesthetics appear Makerbeam-DIY type, compared to the looks of the above listed products. This alone may put off some people, considering the alternatives available. Though the beams offer sturdiness, they also add a little empty space. Have a tiny look at GEEEK's N500 Lite for how they handled aluminum extrusions and paneling in their case, using 3D printed fixtures. Secondly, the paneling may appear easily prone to scratches depending on the finish.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I need to change the state of this project to "Stalled" because nobody has placed a single order for this case.

Please let me know why you think that is (via a reply here or direct message). Thanks!
Sorry, but to be brutally honest, I don't see the value proposition. Some aluminium profiles and a couple bolted on panels for $250?

I also has the aesthetic of a home build project/prototype, not that of a finished product.

The layout it good, but that alone isn't going to sell the case.

Compared to some other low and high production volume vertical SFF cases that are or will be on the market soon. There's basically no chance anyone will buy this at the current price.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, and I think you you should be proud of what you build for yourself, but in its current state it should remain just that, a cool DIY project.

Reactions: kewkor

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
I need to change the state of this project to "Stalled" because nobody has placed a single order for this case.

Please let me know why you think that is (via a reply here or direct message). Thanks!
I chose an NCASE M1 for my late 2020 build. I'm likely not your core audience, but since you're asking for feedback, I thought I'd chip in. There are a few things that would have prevented me from being interested in this build.

Functional:
-Larger volume. At ~19L, this stops being "semi-portable" and starts becoming more "footprint saving". There seems to be a non-trivial amount of unused space. Not a deal breaker, but I'd need to be sold that the additional space is necessary or adds value somehow.
-Limited cooling options. I'm interested in quiet PC that can fit an enthusiast GPU. Liquid cooling isn't a must, but the option is compelling. With limited choices, I'd want to be sold that it isn't necessary.
-Poor IO access. No front/top IO. Vertical mounting makes rear IO harder to reach.
-No testing. I don't know anything about how this case will perform with thermals or acoustics. This alone is deal breaker for me.

Aesthetics:
-Non-flush external screws. I personally dislike the look of the panel screws. They look like snag points to my brain. I can totally see others liking the look though.
-Questionable finish quality. The photos of the finished product were only OK. I couldn't tell if some of the smudging was just handling, or variance in the coating. At the more premium price point, I'd want to feel secure that the coating was going to be top notch. Better photographs with ideal lighting and spotless panels to show this case at it's best would go a long way to improving appeal. I personally also enjoy "typical use" photos that aren't focused on perfect conditions, but only in addition to high quality shots that clearly show the finish quality.

Marketing:
-No/limited exposure. I didn't come across any third party reviews or discussion of this case. A youtube review or two (yours + a third party) would go a long way.
-No Value proposition. The case doesn't seem to enable a specific kind of build compared to other options (ie - the smallest vertical case that fits a DTX & a 3090). What's unique about this build that other vertical cases aren't doing? Why spend $250 on this case instead of others?
-Non premium feel. I get you're still in pre-production, but I don't get the premium feel of high budget item with the photo quality, website layout, and limited information in the thread. I'm not being sold on the premium quality of the parts, or the beauty of this specific design.
-High cost/high risk. I'm not opposed to spending $200+ on a case, but I really want to know I'm going to be happy with my purchase. At $250, you're competing with some of the best cases with high profile reviews on the market. There's no reviews. No quality/happiness guarantee. Flying blind into this level of purchase is higher risk that I'm willing to accept.