Split up HDPLEX DC-DC?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I watched @Josh | NFC video about the new 400w HDPLEX AC-DC and heard him talk about how this form factor is better because you can split it up and stick into unused spaces you couldn't put a normal PSU. That got me thinking, why don't we split up the DC-DC unit?

Have 1 part be the Pico-PSU style HDPLEX 160 that plugs directly into the motherboard, then have a 2nd DC-DC part that plugs directly into a GPU PCI-E power connector. I'm thinking some sort of U shaped rigid PCI-E power connectors so that the PCB lays flat on the backside of the GPU where you would normally mount a 2.5" SSD in the S4M. Or super short pci-e power cables with low profile connectors. This way, if you don't have a GPU, don't buy the GPU DC-DC, and you're only paying for what you need, but if you want to upgrade later, you don't have to replace your current DC-DC PSU. Also the GPU power connectors are build into the PSU, and are low profile so you can fit taller GPU's without buying a specialty cable. You could have some sort of plastic backplate to prevent shorts, and it could mount to the SSD crossbar taking up one of the two 2.5" locations. While it does require quite a bit of power for GPU's, its a single 12v out from a single 19v in, which should simplify the design. You could even have cable extensions so that you could use this in a different case with the DC/DC unit mounted in any 2.5" bay.

This would free up the space in front of the S4M for the AC/DC adapter. I've heard there isn't currently enough room for the 400w AC/DC in this spot, but perhaps on an S4M revision, or something people could mod with a custom faceplate made by Josh. I know Josh has worked closely with the guys at HDPLEX before, perhaps this could be something they could collaborate on as well? What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Currently sitting on about 80% of the funds needed to put another order in and waiting on disbursement from all sales this year. Once I have enough cash to place the order I will. I am hoping for end of March, but with Canadian tax season approacing I can't afford to go out of pocket this month.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I watched @Josh | NFC video about the new 400w HDPLEX AC-DC and heard him talk about how this form factor is better because you can split it up and stick into unused spaces you couldn't put a normal PSU. That got me thinking, why don't we split up the DC-DC unit?

Have 1 part be the Pico-PSU style HDPLEX 160 that plugs directly into the motherboard, then have a 2nd DC-DC part that plugs directly into a GPU PCI-E power connector. I'm thinking some sort of U shaped rigid PCI-E power connectors so that the PCB lays flat on the backside of the GPU where you would normally mount a 2.5" SSD in the S4M. Or super short pci-e power cables with low profile connectors. This way, if you don't have a GPU, don't buy the GPU DC-DC, and you're only paying for what you need, but if you want to upgrade later, you don't have to replace your current DC-DC PSU. Also the GPU power connectors are build into the PSU, and are low profile so you can fit taller GPU's without buying a specialty cable. You could have some sort of plastic backplate to prevent shorts, and it could mount to the SSD crossbar taking up one of the two 2.5" locations. While it does require quite a bit of power for GPU's, its a single 12v out from a single 19v in, which should simplify the design. You could even have cable extensions so that you could use this in a different case with the DC/DC unit mounted in any 2.5" bay.

This would free up the space in front of the S4M for the AC/DC adapter. I've heard there isn't currently enough room for the 400w AC/DC in this spot, but perhaps on an S4M revision, or something people could mod with a custom faceplate made by Josh. I know Josh has worked closely with the guys at HDPLEX before, perhaps this could be something they could collaborate on as well? What does everyone else think?

As already stated, the KMPKT Dynamo Combo, as well as @Thehack's One2 Distro board, which is basically a 12v Dynamo, for if you're using a meanwell brick.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
How thin can you make these dc-dc boards? Are you only constrained by capacitors? Why not using tantalums only?

@Sean Crees have a point about mounting - if these units are as thin as 2.5" drives (even picos can be this thin like g-unique) then we have one issue of mounting it nailed.

Circuit_Bear

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2019
Currently sitting on about 80% of the funds needed to put another order in and waiting on disbursement from all sales this year. Once I have enough cash to place the order I will. I am hoping for end of March, but with Canadian tax season approacing I can't afford to go out of pocket this month.
Hey note sure if you did manage to get a batch out in the last months. I was on the new website shop and it shows sold out not sure if it always has been. I am looking to get one for my custom build I am working on , I am very interested in the 19v passthrough!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Circuit_Bear KMPKT has stepped away from PSU manufacturing for the time being, unfortunately :( Keep an eye out in the Buy/Sell/Trade section and you might get lucky with someone selling one!