GPU [SOLVED] 1080Ti Running Super Hot

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys,

In a bit of a pickle here. I can't figure out why my undervolted (1900Mhz @ 0.925v) morpheus II cooled 1080ti runs so hot compared to other users.

I'm seeing temps in the 65C region, and I know that is relatively cool for a 1080ti, however running the card stock settings without an undervolt proves temperatures around 73C! Compared to other people who have this cooler, they are getting temps around the 50C territory while increasing power limits and whatnot.

I previously had the card under water as the hybrid SC2 and temps would get up to 70 as well even being water cooled.

So what do you guys think? Do I just have a hot running card or is there something else going on that might be playing a factor here.

Also noting here that the cooler heatsink does not make complete contact with the gpu die, there seems to be a 1mm gap between the two, I'm not sure if this is that big of a deal but any insight here would greatly help!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
1mm gap seems... pretty huge. That could be a major source of your perceived problem right there. How much contact did your hybrid cooler plate make? It may behoove you to double check your cooler mounting method.

Also, what's your ambient temperature? Your delta T compared to others may not be as far off as you think if you're in a fairly warm environment. What case do you have this in?

If there really is a problem with the card (or die flushness) perhaps a warranty claim is in order. However, seeing as the temps aren't really going out of spec, you may not get very far with that. As the loud and proud owner of a blower-style cooler, I've come to tolerate much higher temps with much more noise.

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
1mm gap seems... pretty huge. That could be a major source of your perceived problem right there. How much contact did your hybrid cooler plate make? It may behoove you to double check your cooler mounting method.

Also, what's your ambient temperature? Your delta T compared to others may not be as far off as you think if you're in a fairly warm environment. What case do you have this in?

If there really is a problem with the card (or die flushness) perhaps a warranty claim is in order. However, seeing as the temps aren't really going out of spec, you may not get very far with that. As the loud and proud owner of a blower-style cooler, I've come to tolerate much higher temps with much more noise.

Maybe I over-exaggerated by saying 1mm, it might be more like 0.5, but I'll post a picture when I get home from work. Also will remount the cooler again to see if anything changes.

Under water I was getting around 65-68 degrees when running it stock, and 55-60 when running undervolted. Ambient temps in the room are about 18-19 degrees so pretty cool!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Maybe I over-exaggerated by saying 1mm, it might be more like 0.5, but I'll post a picture when I get home from work. Also will remount the cooler again to see if anything changes.

Under water I was getting around 65-68 degrees when running it stock, and 55-60 when running undervolted. Ambient temps in the room are about 18-19 degrees so pretty cool!
I reckon, even 0.5mm gap between the GPU die and the cooler block is still too much. One should not even be able to perceive a gap in between when mounting/installation is proper. Whatever that inperceivable gap is, it would be filled up by thermal paste. If somehow is gap is perceivable as much as 0.5mm, maybe a thermal pad is more suitable to provide the needed thickness.

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
I reckon, even 0.5mm gap between the GPU die and the cooler block is still too much. One should not even be able to perceive a gap in between when mounting/installation is proper. Whatever that inperceivable gap is, it would be filled up by thermal paste. If somehow is gap is perceivable as much as 0.5mm, maybe a thermal pad is more suitable to provide the needed thickness.

Hmm, interesting! Again I'll post a picture when I get home, but you have any recommendations on thermal pads or are they all pretty much the same?

pillagemyvillage

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Here's a picture for reference!

I'm gonna go ahead and remount the cooler otherwise if it's still the same I would guess thermal pads would be the next option.

EDIT: Guess the picture didn't upload. That's fine this thread should be complete. After multiple mounts and unmounts the GPU is now fixed! After 30 mins heaven benchmark GPU is stable @ 43-44C. Guess it just takes a couple tries to get the proper mount! Thanks for the help regardless everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323