Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Nickel plating is not just an aesthetic feature, it actually acts as a protective layer against corrosion especially for liquid metal. Like you said, getting it right on copper is very difficult. As a customer, I expect a finished product, not a difficult DIY project.
The fit and finish of my beta block is fantastic. It’s better then anything ekwb I’ve had in my hands, and easily on par with the last aquacomputer gpu block I had on a 2080ti. A block which, I order in copper, without nickel plating. If your chasing that last couple of degrees, a direct to die custom loop with standard paste is going to get you more performance then lm on top of an lhs. But that’s back to that diy project.

reggienazaire

Case Bender
New User
Apr 24, 2022
I ordered just before preorder pricing ended, excited to replace my barrow pump block. I feel like I've always had bad temps and after multiple re pastes on the barrow unit, cleaning blocks, and a complete rebuild going from 2 240 mm rads to one 280 mm rad and no noticeable temperature improvements, I'm excited to try something new. To be specific, with a 5900x in both cooling loops I idle around 57c. In a nearly identical system I built for a friend with the same mobo, bios, cpu, case, etc, minus custom loop, plus 280 mm corsair aio, his cpu idles in the mid 30s to low 40s. To me its either a result of limited thermal performance of barrow design, limited ability to bleed air from the loop, or a combination. I am nonetheless excited to get my hands on this, and would love a nickle plated option.

Reactions: sos and rfarmer

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
The fit and finish of my beta block is fantastic. It’s better then anything ekwb I’ve had in my hands, and easily on par with the last aquacomputer gpu block I had on a 2080ti. A block which, I order in copper, without nickel plating. If your chasing that last couple of degrees, a direct to die custom loop with standard paste is going to get you more performance then lm on top of an lhs. But that’s back to that diy project.
I agree. If there is a direct die block with ddc pump on top, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: reggienazaire

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
5/2/22 update:

Unfortunately, things are going a little slower than anticipated. 95% of the parts are machined, cold plates are done. Last remaining machining to be done is the spring housings and intel mounting hardware. Spring housings should be done this week.

Product packaging is decided on just waiting of the factory to let me know lead time. I hope to know packaging arrival date this week.

All of the painted parts are at the paint shop, however they are telling me that most likely they wont be finished till late this month. So best case is to start shipping late this month. Worst case is early next month if they don't turn them around as fast as predicted. I apologize for the delay.

Vareen

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2021
5/2/22 update:

Unfortunately, things are going a little slower than anticipated. 95% of the parts are machined, cold plates are done. Last remaining machining to be done is the spring housings and intel mounting hardware. Spring housings should be done this week.

Product packaging is decided on just waiting of the factory to let me know lead time. I hope to know packaging arrival date this week.

All of the painted parts are at the paint shop, however they are telling me that most likely they wont be finished till late this month. So best case is to start shipping late this month. Worst case is early next month if they don't turn them around as fast as predicted. I apologize for the delay.
Honestly, it's to be expected - what with the state of the world and all. Take your time, do it right.

Pagusas

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2022
very much considering ordering one of these, has anyone done a deep dive comparison on the blocks thermal performance compared to other cpu blocks? I know the benifit here is having a compact pump built right into the block, but i’d like to know if there is any performance penalty by going this route vs other dedicated blocks.

Reactions: sos and GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
very much considering ordering one of these, has anyone done a deep dive comparison on the blocks thermal performance compared to other cpu blocks? I know the benifit here is having a compact pump built right into the block, but i’d like to know if there is any performance penalty by going this route vs other dedicated blocks.

Part 1. was the first comparison, compared and mounted the product, more a demo video.

Part 2. got thermal testing with multiple setups:

El Media Vida

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2021
@Alloy Craft
I understand the concept on a full metal block, but you have on mind launch a version on POM to be more afforable?

I really like to much the desing, I'm foreing and the taxes increase to much the cost... Thats the reason I would like to se a POM version.

Reactions: NRG

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
@Alloy Craft
I understand the concept on a full metal block, but you have on mind launch a version on POM to be more afforable?

I really like to much the desing, I'm foreing and the taxes increase to much the cost... Thats the reason I would like to se a POM version.
I will be doing a Pom version, but it wont be available till later this year. I want to get all pre orders shipped before I can work on that version. But do keep in mind that the Pom version will not work with the conductor series heatsinks. Also the POM version will not come with the adjustable cold plate functionality.

Pagusas

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2022
I've almost pulled the trigger several times, I just have never had a DDC pump in my system before (always used D5's) and I've never had a pump without a revisor. I'm not even sure where to start with DDC pumps and which one is best, or how to best design a system without a res. So much to learn.

ziggehh

Chassis Packer
Jun 16, 2020
I've almost pulled the trigger several times, I just have never had a DDC pump in my system before (always used D5's) and I've never had a pump without a revisor. I'm not even sure where to start with DDC pumps and which one is best, or how to best design a system without a res. So much to learn.
I think people research too much when it comes to pumps. If you bought an EK 4.2 DDC you'd be essentially sorted and not have to think hard about it. In regards to res-less systems, by far the best way I have found is to include one set of quick disconnects somewhere in your loop. This way, you can add a res in series with your components and bleed your system or bubbles the way you usually do. Once it's air free, you disconnect the res and just plug the QDC's and you're good to go.

Reactions: sos

El Media Vida

Caliper Novice
Jan 11, 2021
Also the POM version will not come with the adjustable cold plate functionality.

Did you refer to the "mountain" fins form on the cold plate?
I think will be like EK's Supremacy cold plate or Corsair's XG series.

Will be have the same fins number?

Another thing.
The actual Lobo "no heatsink" it's for Intel and what's in the box?

cps_goodbuy

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2020
Does anyone know where to buy black brass 1/8 plugs with o-rings?

I still have a new gray/black prototype with emitter heatsink if anyone is interested. I'm based in Ireland so if you're in the EU you'd be saving on postage and customs.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Did you refer to the "mountain" fins form on the cold plate?
I think will be like EK's Supremacy cold plate or Corsair's XG series.

Will be have the same fins number?

Another thing.
The actual Lobo "no heatsink" it's for Intel and what's in the box?
Yes it will have the same number of fins. Lobo with no heatsink it for either Intel or AMD. I forgot to add the socket option to the store, it is fixed now.

Is ordering the non-adjustable cold plate possible for the standard version?

I have attached some photos of how the adjustable cold plate works. Essentially there are 2 set screws that push a plastic plate that contacts the cold plate mid span. The primary function of these adjusters is to make it so that there is zero tolerance between the center of the cold plate and the pump block. This is important in that if there is even a little bit of free space between the cold plate and pump housing, the cold plate can deform in a concave manner during hardware tightening. This is not desirable, as it decreases your heat transfer because the center of the cold plate can deform away from the cpu die.

Secondly the adjuster can actually bow the cold plate outward into a convex shape. this can be advantageous if you have a processor that has a concavity on its IHS. Our cold plates are flat to within .002 in (.050 mm). With the adjusters you can add around a maximum of .007 (.177 mm) of bow before the cold plate is permanently deformed. this is just under 1 revolution of the set screws. It is possible to go further but permanent deformation will occur. At this point you would need to lap your cold plate if you need dead flat again.

for anybody who doesn't want to mess with the adjusters, you don't have to. I set the adjusters to achieve the .002 in (.05mm) flatness spec before I ship these. All you need to do is install the pump block and move on as normal.

Here is a typical cold plate and its surface lay. the indicator increment is .0005 inch. A typical piece of paper is roughly 10 times thicker than this.

Here is the cold plate lay after inducing .007 in bow to demonstrate the functionality

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Yes it will have the same number of fins. Lobo with no heatsink it for either Intel or AMD. I forgot to add the socket option to the store, it is fixed now.

I have attached some photos of how the adjustable cold plate works. Essentially there are 2 set screws that push a plastic plate that contacts the cold plate mid span. The primary function of these adjusters is to make it so that there is zero tolerance between the center of the cold plate and the pump block. This is important in that if there is even a little bit of free space between the cold plate and pump housing, the cold plate can deform in a concave manner during hardware tightening. This is not desirable, as it decreases your heat transfer because the center of the cold plate can deform away from the cpu die.

Secondly the adjuster can actually bow the cold plate outward into a convex shape. this can be advantageous if you have a processor that has a concavity on its IHS. Our cold plates are flat to within .002 in (.050 mm). With the adjusters you can add around a maximum of .007 (.177 mm) of bow before the cold plate is permanently deformed. this is just under 1 revolution of the set screws. It is possible to go further but permanent deformation will occur. At this point you would need to lap your cold plate if you need dead flat again.

for anybody who doesn't want to mess with the adjusters, you don't have to. I set the adjusters to achieve the .002 in (.05mm) flatness spec before I ship these. All you need to do is install the pump block and move on as normal.

Here is a typical cold plate and its surface lay. the indicator increment is .0005 inch. A typical piece of paper is roughly 10 times thicker than this.

Here is the cold plate lay after inducing .007 in bow to demonstrate the functionality

I'm so glad I ordered one of these.

cps_goodbuy

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2020

That is awesome, very clever, and elegant implementation!

Pagusas

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2022
Are there any photos of this on an AM4 ITX board? want to make sure I can orient it with the outlet/inlet towards the memory to support my layout.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Are there any photos of this on an AM4 ITX board? want to make sure I can orient it with the outlet/inlet towards the memory to support my layout.

If you look on page 5 of this thread, there are some AM4 photos.