Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
@Vareen @NRG @ziggehh - I have reached out to confusis to confirm group buy rules on SFFn.

In the meantime, if anyone else in Australia/New Zealand is interested in joining a group buy, PM me to avoid further cluttering this thread. I'll reach out to the list of interested folk if we get an all-clear.

Reactions: sos

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Will remove if you'd like, @Alloy Craft, but I made a list with direct links to your various pre-order products:

PRE-ORDER INTRODUCTORY PRICING ($USD) FROM MODULTRA.COM (until stocks last, or after 3-4 weeks, or whenever Alloy Craft chooses ;))

LOBO + Heatsink Combo

Accessories

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Hi all, great to see that this has now gone into pre-orders! I don't have a pump in mind for this as yet, would the emitter heatsink be useful to allow heat from any pump to be emitted as well as dumped into the coolant, or is it more for a specific use case of acetal/acrylic?
DDC pumps don't dump the heat from the pump electronics into the coolant, unlike the D5, that's why a good heatsink is important for DDC-based loops.

Reactions: sos

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Does the "Modultra LOBO CPU water block + Plain heatsink" come with the thermal pads for the DDC or does it need something separate?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Does the "Modultra LOBO CPU water block + Plain heatsink" come with the thermal pads for the DDC or does it need something separate?
All blocks or heatsinks ordered come with the appropriate thermal pad and kapton tape for DDC pumps.

They’re listed on each product page if you want to check what it includes. :)

cps_goodbuy

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2020
As discussed with Alloy Craft, due to my build delays, I am buying the retail version but have an unused prototype block and emitter heatsink in a titanium and grey color. I'm going to sell the prototype and the only differences are the color combination and slightly different dimensions from the retail version. Located in Ireland so no customs to pay within EU. If anyone is interested in buying this and would like to review it please let me know.

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
One suggestion: Adding the nickel plating to the copper would be really friendly for liquid metal users like me.
The only thing that prevents me from buying it is the lack of nickel plating. Liquid metal will react with copper/brass and form an alloy. It won't affect performance if you don't remove the block. But once you need to remove the block and put it back on the CPU later, you will need to sand it down and polish it to make the surface flat.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Would love to order one and the prices seem fair, but the international shipping is brutal for such a small item. $63 for standard shipping... Unless this shipping option includes taxes and fees?

lulle2007200

Efficiency Noob
Aug 9, 2021
One suggestion: Adding the nickel plating to the copper would be really friendly for liquid metal users like me.
The only thing that prevents me from buying it is the lack of nickel plating. Liquid metal will react with copper/brass and form an alloy. It won't affect performance if you don't remove the block. But once you need to remove the block and put it back on the CPU later, you will need to sand it down and polish it to make the surface flat.
Yeah, this is something that really should be considered. Removing a copper cooler/block can in itself be a massive pain when using liquid metal over a longer period of time. It almost becomes one with the IHS.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Yeah, this is something that really should be considered. Removing a copper cooler/block can in itself be a massive pain when using liquid metal over a longer period of time. It almost becomes one with the IHS.
Nickel plated cold plates are definitely doable. If there are users that are interested in this option please speak up. Unless there is decent interest I don't know if I would offer it though.

As for the pre order: Introductory pricing ends this Friday April 15th, after that pricing will increase to full retail.

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
Nickel plated cold plates are definitely doable. If there are users that are interested in this option please speak up. Unless there is decent interest I don't know if I would offer it though.

As for the pre order: Introductory pricing ends this Friday April 15th, after that pricing will increase to full retail.
I would say the nickel plating is a must for such a premium, well-engineered product and it's probably the last piece before perfection. I will keep an eye on it😀

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I would say the nickel plating is a must for such a premium, well-engineered product and it's probably the last piece before perfection. I will keep an eye on it😀
Is it really? What does nickel plating add that this product is currently lacking, and why would it make it perfect?

Nickel plating is only really used as an aesthetic finish for acrylic topped blocks, which isn't even an option here.

On top of that, getting nickel plating right is very difficult, and imperfect nickel plating is objectively worse than bare copper, as it can flake and cause blockages in the loop.

Reactions: Valantar and sos

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020
Is it really? What does nickel plating add that this product is currently lacking, and why would it make it perfect?

Nickel plating is only really used as an aesthetic finish for acrylic topped blocks, which isn't even an option here.

On top of that, getting nickel plating right is very difficult, and imperfect nickel plating is objectively worse than bare copper, as it can flake and cause blockages in the loop.
Nickel plating is not just an aesthetic feature, it actually acts as a protective layer against corrosion especially for liquid metal. Like you said, getting it right on copper is very difficult. As a customer, I expect a finished product, not a difficult DIY project.

• Sad
Reactions: morj

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Nickel plating is not just an aesthetic feature, it actually acts as a protective layer against corrosion especially for liquid metal. Like you said, getting it right on copper is very difficult. As a customer, I expect a finished product, not a difficult DIY project.
To be perfectly fair, LOBO appears to be a well finished product and far far from a DIY project...

aexeq

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I don't see a reason besides LM too for messing with nickel plating. I actually really like keeping my loop copper/brass only.

Reactions: Valantar

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
If you really want Nickel plating it is possible to have it done by local plating shops. It is also possible to do this at home if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, however it is electro plating and not electroless. There are quite a few DIY nickel plating videos on the web.

I may offer it in the future but not at this time since orders are already placed and I don't want to change things until all orders are filled.

As for delivery I am on schedule to ship mid to late next month. I am setting up to machine the cold plates today. If all goes well all cold plates should be done next week. Remaining items to machine are the spring housing, intel mounting plate hardware and emitter heatsinks. Parts will be heading to paint next week. Also still trying to find packaging foam for these.